Jared Kushner, October 6, 2008
|Born||Jared Corey Kushner
January 10, 1981
|Alma mater||Harvard University (S.B.)
New York University (J.D., M.B.A.)
|Occupation||Real Estate Developer|
|Known for||co-owner of Kushner Properties
owner of The New York Observer
|Spouse(s)||Ivanka Trump (2009–present)|
Jared Corey Kushner (born January 10, 1981) is an American businessman. He is the principal owner of Kushner Properties, his family’s real estate holding and development company, and The New York Observer, a newspaper publishing company which he purchased in 2005. He is the son of American real estate developer Charles Kushner and is married to Ivanka Trump, the daughter of Donald Trump.
Kushner is the son of Seryl (née Stadtmauer) and the New Jersey real estate developer Charles Kushner. He graduated from the Frisch School, a private, coed yeshiva high school in Paramus, New Jersey, and from Harvard University in 2003. His father had made a $2.5 million donation to the university. In 2007, Kushner graduated from the New York University Stern School of Business and the New York University School of Law where he earned both JD and MBA degrees. He has a brother, Joshua Kushner, and two sisters, Nicole Kushner and Dara Kushner.
In July 2006, at age 25, Kushner purchased The New York Observer, an influential weekly New York City newspaper, for $10 million. Since purchasing the Observer, Kushner has pushed for changes that increased sales and created a new focus for the paper, moving towards a tabloid direction. Kushner has been credited with increasing the Observer's online presence and expanding the Observer Media Group through a series of strategic new ventures and acquisitions.
Kushner was active in the Boston real estate market while an undergraduate at Harvard, and has increased the Kushner Companies' presence in the New York City real estate market as a principal in his family's real estate company. The company's flagship acquisition was the office building at 666 Fifth Avenue in 2007, for a then-record price of $1.8 billion. In 2011, the building's mortgage was restructured in conjunction with Kushner's bringing in Vornado Realty Trust as a 50% equity partner.
LA Dodgers bid
Kushner married Ivanka Trump, daughter of businessman Donald Trump, in a Jewish ceremony on October 25, 2009. She gave birth to their daughter, Arabella Rose Kushner, in July 2011. Ivanka Trump converted to Judaism before marrying Kushner. Jared and Ivanka welcomed a baby boy Joseph Fredrick Kushner on October 14, 2013.
- Salkin, Allen (March 11, 2007). "The Education of a Publisher". The New York Times. Retrieved November 29, 2007.
- Beam, Alex. (September 4, 2006). "Harvard's admissions of gilt". The Boston Globe. Retrieved January 7, 2008.
- Seelye, Katharine Q. (July 22, 2006). "Developer’s Son Negotiating to Buy New York Observer". The New York Times. Retrieved November 29, 2007.
- Seelye, Katharine Q. (July 31, 2006). "Developer’s Son Acquires The New York Observer". The New York Times. Retrieved January 8, 2008.
- Teodorczuk, Tom (November 9, 2008). "An accidental proprietor". The Guardian (London). Retrieved October 21, 2011.
- "We've Got the BetaBeat". The New York Observer. March 15, 2011.
- Lauria, Peter (June 15, 2009). "Kushner and Observer Media Group Acquire 80 Percent Stake in Barry Diller's Vary Short List". New York Post.
- "Kushner Quietly Raising His Stake in Manhattan". The New York Sun. Retrieved August 4, 2006.
- "Private equity outfit signs on at 666 Fifth". Crain's New York Business. September 13, 2011. Retrieved October 21, 2011.
- "Jared Kushner trying to buy LA Dodgers - New York Daily News". articles.nydailynews.com. Retrieved 31 October 2012.
- "Jared Kushner withdraws from Dodgers bidding - Los Angeles Times". articles.latimes.com. Retrieved 31 October 2012.
- "Jared Kushner's Federal Campaign Contribution Report". Newsmeat.com. Retrieved October 21, 2011.
- "Ivanka Trump Weds Jared Kushner". The New York Times. October 24, 2009.
- Trump Son-In-Law In Bidding For Dodgers, The Beverly Hills Courier, February 7, 2012
- Slonim, Jeffrey (August 7, 2011). "Ivanka Trump's Baby is 'An Angel', Says Her Aunt". People. Retrieved October 21, 2011.
- "Report: Tycoon Donald Trump's daughter converting to Judaism". Haaretz. October 30, 2008.