August 21, 1990 |
Thunder Bay, ON, CAN
|Height||6 ft 4 in (193 cm)|
|Weight||210 lb (95 kg; 15 st 0 lb)|
|NHL team||Carolina Hurricanes|
|NHL Draft||49th overall, 2008
Jared John Staal (born August 21, 1990) is a Canadian ice hockey player. Staal is currently a member of the Carolina Hurricanes organization of the National Hockey League. He is the younger brother of Eric Staal and Jordan Staal of the Carolina Hurricanes and Marc Staal of the New York Rangers. Jared is the youngest of the four Staal brothers. During the 2011-12 season, Staal split time between the Charlotte Checkers of the AHL and the Providence Bruins of the AHL. He is also the cousin of Jeff Heerema of the Nottingham Panthers.
Jared grew up in his hometown of Thunder Bay, ON playing 'AAA' hockey for the Thunder Bay Kings. He was drafted in the first round of the 2006 OHL Priority Selection Draft by the Sudbury Wolves (11th overall).
Staal played the 2007–08 season with the Wolves. He was selected by the Phoenix Coyotes in the second-round of the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, 49th overall. He is the only member of the Staal brothers not to be taken in the first round of the NHL Entry Draft and the only one not to have been drafted by an Eastern Conference team. He is the only right shooter of all four brothers.
On April 3, 2009, Staal signed an amateur tryout contract with the San Antonio Rampage, the AHL affiliate of the Coyotes. He appeared in five games for the Rampage in 2009, however he was sent back to the Sudbury Wolves for the remainder of the season.
On May 13, 2010, the Carolina Hurricanes acquired his rights from the Phoenix Coyotes in exchange for a fifth-round draft pick. On May 14, 2010 the Hurricanes signed him to a three-year entry-level contract. To start the 2010–11 season, Jared was assigned to the Hurricanes AHL affiliate, the Charlotte Checkers of the AHL. Struggling to gain ice time after 12 games, on November 19, 2010, Jared was re-assigned to their ECHL affiliate, the Florida Everblades, but was later recalled. For the 2011–12 season, Staal returned to the Charlotte Checkers. On March 12, 2012, the Hurricanes loaned him to the Boston Bruins' affiliate Providence Bruins of the AHL for the remainder of the 2011-12 season.
After scoring 3 goals and 4 assists in 52 games with Charlotte in 2012–13, he made his NHL debut with the Hurricanes on April 25, 2013 against the New York Rangers. He was in the Hurricanes' starting lineup for the game, starting on a forward line with brothers Eric and Jordan.
|2005–06||Thunder Bay Kings||HNO||64||24||25||49||72||—||—||—||—||—|
|2008–09||San Antonio Rampage||AHL||5||0||0||0||0||—||—||—||—||—|
|2009–10||San Antonio Rampage||AHL||5||0||1||1||2||—||—||—||—||—|
- YOUNGEST STAAL BROTHER SURVIVES LATEST 'CANES ROSTER CUTS
- Staal aboard as Jared finds NHL fast track
- "Jared Staal signs AHL contract with San Antonio Rampage". April 3, 2009.
- Coyotes release Jared Staal
- "Canes Acquire Jared Staal from Phoenix Coyotes". Carolina Hurricanes. 2010-05-14. Retrieved 2010-05-14.
- Coyotes trade prospect Jared Staal to Hurricanes for 5th-round pick in 2010 draft
- "Blades get forward Staal assigned from Charlotte". Florida Everblades. 2010-11-19. Retrieved 2011-01-03.
- Checkers Swap Forwards with ECHL Affiliate
- "Hutton maintains hot glove". The Chronicle-Journal. March 12, 2012. Retrieved April 3, 2012.
- Alexander, C. (April 25, 2013). "Jared Staal joins brothers on the Canes". newsobserver.com. Retrieved 2013-04-25.
- "Rangers 4, Hurricanes 3". Yahoo!. Retrieved 2013-04-25.
- Brooks, L. (April 26, 2013). "Rangers forward Clowe injures right leg". New York Post. Retrieved 2013-04-26.