Sullinger at the 2010 Nike Hoop Summit
|No. 7 – Boston Celtics|
March 4, 1992 |
|Listed height||6 ft 9 in (2.06 m)|
|Listed weight||260 lb (118 kg)|
|High school||Northland (Columbus, Ohio)|
|College||Ohio State (2010–2012)|
|NBA draft||2012 / Round: 1 / Pick: 21st overall|
|Selected by the Boston Celtics|
|Career highlights and awards|
Jared Sullinger (born March 4, 1992) is an American professional basketball player who currently plays for the Boston Celtics of the National Basketball Association (NBA). He played college basketball for the Ohio State University before being drafted 21st overall by the Celtics in the 2012 NBA draft.
- 1 High school career
- 2 College career
- 3 Professional career
- 4 NBA career statistics
- 5 Awards and honors
- 6 Personal
- 7 References
- 8 External links
High school career
He was rated as the number 2 player in the class of 2010 in the ESPNU 100 the number 4 player by Scout.com, and the number 5 player by Rivals.com. In his senior year, Sullinger led Northland High School to a 21-0 season and a #1 national ranking. He averaged 24.5 points and 11.7 rebounds for the season. Sullinger played in the 4th annual Boost Mobile Elite 24 Hoops Classic.
Sullinger was selected to play in the 2010 McDonald's All-American Game in Columbus, Ohio, where he was named co-MVP with Harrison Barnes. He was also selected to play in the 2010 Nike Hoop Summit at the Rose Garden in Portland, Oregon and the 2010 Jordan Brand Classic at Madison Square Garden in New York.
Sullinger committed to Ohio State on May 10, 2007.
Sullinger had 19 points and 14 rebounds in his Ohio State debut. Sullinger's brother, J.J. Sullinger also attended Ohio State and played for coach Thad Matta. For the 2010-2011 season Jared Sullinger averaged 17.2 points, 10.2 rebounds, and 1.2 assists in 31.7 minutes per game for the Buckeyes. Ohio State finished the regular season at 32-2 and was selected as the 2011 NCAA tournament's number one overall seed. The Buckeyes made it to the 'Sweet Sixteen' where they lost to Kentucky 62-60. Sullinger was named a First Team All-American by Fox Sports.
In what would be his final year at Ohio State, Sullinger led the Buckeyes to a 31-8 overall record (13-5 Big Ten). Sullinger averaged 17.5 points and 9.3 rebounds per game during the 2011-12 season. The Buckeyes advanced to the 'Final Four' of the 2012 NCAA tournament, where the team lost to the Kansas Jayhawks. Sullinger had 13 points in the game and was 5-of-19 shooting with 11 rebounds in the loss. Five days after the loss, the two-time AP All-American declared he was entering the 2012 draft, where he was widely expected to be a lottery pick, until he was reportedly flagged by several teams after the Chicago pre-draft camp due to back issues.
Boston Celtics (2012–present)
On December 25, 2012, against the Brooklyn Nets, Sullinger scored 16 points (tying a career high) on 6-7 shooting, to go along with 7 rebounds, as the Celtics won 93 to 76.
On January 9, 2013, against the Phoenix Suns, Sullinger had 16 rebounds, 3 assists and 12 points on 6-10 shooting. Two days later against the Houston Rockets, Sullinger recorded 14 points and 11 rebounds as the Celtics won their 5th straight game.
On February 1, 2013, it was announced he would miss the rest of the season with a back injury.
On January 15, 2014, against the Toronto Raptors, Sullinger posted 25 points and a career-high 20 rebounds. It was the first Celtic 20–20 game since Kevin Garnett had one in his debut game with the Celtics in 2007.
On February 7, 2014, Sullinger scored a career high 31 points, along with 16 rebounds, in a 99-89 win over the Sacramento Kings.
NBA career statistics
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
Awards and honors
- BBVA Rising Stars Challenge Contestant (2014)
- Eastern Conference Player of the Week Award Winner (February 3–9, 2014)
- 2011 Big Ten Tournament Most Valuable Player
- 2011 Big Ten Freshman Of the Year
- 2011 Wayman Tisdale Freshman of the Year Award
- 2010 James A. Naismith Award winner
- 2010 McDonald's All-American game co-MVP
- 2010 McDonald's All-American team selection
- 2010 Jordan Brand High School All-American team selection
On September 3, 2013, Sullinger turned himself in to police after an alleged domestic assault on his girlfriend. He was charged with assault and battery, intimidation of a witness, and destruction of property. He pleaded not guilty to the charges. The charges were later dropped.
- "College Basketball Recruiting - ESPNU 100 - ESPN". Insider.espn.go.com. Retrieved 2010-08-26.
- "Scout.com: Football Recruiting". Scouthoops.scout.com. Retrieved 2010-08-26.
- "Yahoo Sports: Rivals.com Ranking - Rivals150 for class of 2010". Rivalshoops.rivals.com. Retrieved 2010-08-26.
- "Northland High School basketball player, father win national Naismith awards". The Columbus Dispatch. 2010-03-10. Retrieved 2010-08-26.
- "Boost Mobile Elite 24 Roster Announced". Slam Online. 2009-08-05. Retrieved 2010-08-26.
- "McDonald’s All-American Game Team Announced". Slam Online. 2010-02-11. Retrieved 2010-08-26.
- "McDonald's All-American night: Knight's 3-pointer wins it for the West - MaxPreps News". Maxpreps.com. 2010-03-31. Retrieved 2010-08-26.
- "It’s the USA Against Everyone Else". Slam Online. 2010-01-20. Retrieved 2010-08-26.
- "Jordan Brand All-American Game Team Announced". Slam Online. 2010-02-18. Retrieved 2010-08-26.
- "A Summer Full of Events for #1 Center in the Country, Jared Sullinger". Escoutroom.com. 2007-05-05. Retrieved 2010-08-26.
- Ohio State routs North Carolina A&T in season opener
- Goodman, Jeff (Mar 7, 2011). "Goodman's 2010-11 All-America teams". Fox Sports (Fox Sports Interactive Media). Retrieved June 21, 2011.
- Jared Sullinger's back a concern
- "Celtics Sign 2012 NBA Draft Picks". NBA.com. July 3, 2012. Retrieved December 9, 2014.
- Suns at Celtics
- Rockets at Celtics
- "Celtics' Sullinger out for season with back injury". NBA.com. February 1, 2013. Retrieved August 21, 2013.
- "Celtics top Raptors 88-83, end 9-game skid". ESPN. 2014-01-15. Retrieved 2014-01-16.
- Notebook: Celtics 99, Kings 89
- King, Jay (September 3, 2013). "Jared Sullinger arrested: Boston Celtics forward turned himself in after domestic incident, according to report". masslive.com. Retrieved September 3, 2013.
- "Celtics' Sullinger pleads not guilty to domestic assault". NBA.com. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. September 3, 2013. Retrieved September 3, 2013.
- Charges dropped against Celtics’ Sullinger
- Career statistics and player information from NBA.com, or Basketball-Reference.com
- Ohio State bio
- NBADraft.net Profile
- Scout.com Profile
- Rivals.com Profile
- Sullinger Proving To Be Steal of NBA Draft