Jaroslav Černý (22 August 1898 – 29 May 1970) was a Czech Egyptologist.
Jaroslav Černý was born on 22 August 1898 in Pilsen in Austro-Hungary. He studied from 1917 till 1922 at the Charles University in Prague, where he received his doctorate in 1929. He took part in Bernard Bruyère's excavations at Deir el-Medina in 1925 and the village became the focus of a lifelong study. One volume, of a planned three, on the village was published before his death with other parts published posthumously. In 1946, he became professor for Egyptology at University College London. From 1951 until 1965 he was Professor of Egyptology at Oxford University. His specialties were the hieratic script, the New Kingdom, and Late Egyptian literature. He died on 29 May 1970 in Oxford, England.
- Catalogue des ostraca hiératiques non littéraires de Deir el-Medineh, 7 Bände, Kairo 1937-70
- Ostraca hiératiques, Kairo 1935. (Catalogue Général du Musée égyptien du Caire, 25501-25832.)
- Late Ramesside Letters, Brüssel 1939.
- Répertoire onomastique de Deir el-Médineh, Kairo 1949. in collaboration with B. Bruyère and J. J. Clère.
- The Inscriptions of Sinai, London 1952, 1955. in collaboration with Alan H. Gardiner and T. Eric Peet.
- Paper & Books in Ancient Egypt, London,.
- Ancient Egyptian Religion, London 1952 (1952, 1957).
- Hieratic Ostraca, Volume I. Oxford 1957.
- Egyptian Stelae in the Bankes Collection, Oxford 1958.
- Hieratic Inscriptions from the Tomb of Tutankhamun, Oxford 1965.
- A Community of Workmen at Thebes in the Ramesside Period, Kairo 1973.
- A Late Egyptian Grammar, Rom 1975 (1978, 1984). in collaboration with Sarah Israelit Groll, supported by von Christopher Eyre.
- Coptic Etymological Dictionary, Cambridge 1976.
- Papyrus hiératiques de Deir el-Médineh, Tome I. Kairo 1978. finished by Georges Posener.
- ^ "Life of the ancient Egyptians, Eugen Strouhal, Evžen Strouhal, Werner Forman, Editorial Galaxia, p187, 1992, ISBN 0-8061-2475-XIn
- Jaromír Málek, "Life and achievements of Czech Egyptologist Jaroslav Cerný (1898-1970)". in Archív orientální 66 (1998), pp. 27–30.
- M. L. Bierbrier, The Tomb-Builders of the Pharaohs, American University in Cairo Press 1992, ISBN 977-424-210-6 p. 144