Location of Jarrettsville, Maryland
|• Total||8.7 sq mi (22.6 km2)|
|• Land||8.7 sq mi (22.6 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||669 ft (204 m)|
|• Density||315.8/sq mi (121.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0585205|
My Lady's Manor was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978, and includes portions of Jarrettsville. The town was named for the Jarrett family, who farmed the area during the 1800s.
Jarrettsville is located at (39.601954, -76.472404).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 8.7 square miles (23 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,756 people, 900 households, and 781 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 315.8 people per square mile (121.9/km²). There were 918 housing units at an average density of 105.2/sq mi (40.6/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 97.21% White, 1.16% African American, 0.15% Native American, 0.29% Asian, 0.33% from other races, and 0.87% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.54% of the population.
There were 900 households out of which 43.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 77.6% were married couples living together, 6.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 13.2% were non-families. 11.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.05 and the average family size was 3.30.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 28.9% under the age of 18, 6.5% from 18 to 24, 26.4% from 25 to 44, 29.0% from 45 to 64, and 9.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females there were 101.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 97.3 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $69,632, and the median income for a family was $81,771. Males had a median income of $51,524 versus $31,905 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $29,246. None of the families and 1.4% of the population were living below the poverty line, including no under eighteens and 11.6% of those over 64.
Noted natives and residents
- Randy McMillan—Former NFL running back with the Baltimore/Indianapolis Colts.
- Mel Kiper Jr. -- ESPN NFL draft day analyst.
- Cyrus Chestnut—jazz pianist.
- Gary Trout II-- Artist and actor, known in Australia for his part as Gus Waters in the TV soap opera "Neighbors". He has retired and returned to Jarrettsville and still resides there today.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2008-04-15.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.