|Directed by||Mark Tan|
|Produced by||Eleanor Low
Dato' Rahim Razali
Adlin Aman Ramlie
|Music by||Maria Jasmine|
|Distributed by||Sparky Pictures|
|Release date(s)||January 10, 2008|
|Running time||133 min|
Jarum Halus is a 2008 Malaysian drama film. It is a modern-day adaptation of William Shakespeare's Othello. The film’s title is derived from a Malay idiom meaning web of deceit or conspiracy, which is a major theme in the plot of the film.
The plot remains faithful to the source material, with the cast all taking their Shakespearian counterparts either in name, character or both (see Cast section)
It is the directorial debut of Mark Tan, who originally envisioned the project as a short film for his final project when studying film at Warwick University in the United Kingdom. When returning to his native Malaysia, the short film was used as a means to attract funding for a feature length project. When a deal was agreed and a script finalised, the quality attracted Malaysian veteral actor Dato Rahim Razali, who agreed to a part on a significantly reduced salary.
The film received a limited release in January 2008 was released to favourable reviews, with several references to its visual boldness and dynamic mixture of eastern values with western storytelling.
Jarum Halus won the "Best Digital Film" in FFM 2008.
- Christien New - Daniel Oh - Othello
- Juliana Ibrahim - Mona - Desdemona
- Razif Hashim - Iskandar - Iago
- Dato' Rahim Razali - Datuk Kalel - Lodovico
- Justin Chan - Michael - Cassio
- Farah Putri - Emilia - Emilia
- Megat Sharizal - Rahim - Roderigo
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)|
- Official Website
- Film review on Yahoo! Malaysia
- Film Review on Kakiseni
- Jarum Halus on Star Paper
- Jarum Halus on Kosmos Paper
- Premiere Review
- Interview with director Mark Tan
- Film Review on Whonose
- IMDB Profile of Dato Rahim Razali
- Sinema Malaysia Profile of Christien New