||This biographical article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. Contentious material about living persons that is unsourced or poorly sourced must be removed immediately, especially if potentially libelous or harmful. (December 2013)|
|Political philosophy · Democratic theory|
|Ethics of voting|
|Part of a series on|
Brennan is known for advocating "bleeding-heart libertarianism," a political philosophy that combines the libertarian emphasis on economic and civil liberties with a left-wing emphasis on social justice.
Brennan grew up in Tewksbury, MA, and Hudson, NH. Brennan attended Case Western Reserve University and the University of New Hampshire as an undergraduate. He earned his Ph.D. in philosophy at the University of Arizona under the direction of David Schmidtz.
He is the author of Libertarianism: What Everyone Needs to Know (Oxford University Press, 2012), The Ethics of Voting (Princeton University Press, 2011), and, with David Schmidtz, A Brief History of Liberty (Wiley-Blackwell, 2010). His books Compulsory Voting: For and Against (Cambridge University Press), with political scientist Lisa Hill, and Against Politics: How Democracy Makes Us Civic Enemies (Princeton University Press), are forthcoming. Brennan's work focuses on the intersection of normative political philosophy and the empirical social sciences, especially on questions about voter behavior, pathologies of democracy, and the consequences of freedom. He argues that most citizens have a moral obligation not to vote.
Books and monographs
- Why Not Capitalism?, (Routledge Press, Forthcoming)
- Markets without Limits, (Routledge Press, Forthcoming), with Peter Jaworski
- Compulsory Voting: For and Against, (Cambridge University Press, Forthcoming), with Lisa Hill
- Against Democracy, (Princeton University Press, Forthcoming)
- Libertarianism: What Everyone Needs to Know, (Oxford University Press, 2012)
- The Ethics of Voting, (Princeton University Press, 2011)
- A Brief History of Liberty, (Wiley-Blackwell, 2010)
- Jason Brennan's homepage
- Bleeding Heart Libertarians - The Bleeding Heart Libertarians blog
- Brennan on Q&A, C-SPAN
- Brennan at 3 am Magazine