Jason Cook (actor)
|Born||Jason John Cook
September 13, 1980
Camden, New Jersey, U.S.
|Occupation||Director, Writer, Actor|
Jason John Cook (born September 13, 1980) is an American actor, screenwriter, film director and film producer best known for the soap opera television roles of Shawn-Douglas Brady on Days of Our Lives from 1999 to 2006, Matt Hunter on General Hospital from 2008 to 2012, and most recently writer and director of State of Bacon, the world's first feature film on bacon.
Cook was born in Camden, New Jersey to Bill Cook (a licensed civil engineer in California) and JoAnn (a pre-school teacher). Growing up in Somerdale, he has two sisters, Michelle and Janean, and a brother, Michael. When he was very young, his family moved to California. At an early age, Jason began studying the piano. As his musical skills improved, he got jobs performing at occasional weddings. He did not consider acting until high school, when he served as an emergency replacement in Whodunnit. A friend of Jason's mother, whose husband was an agent and manager for child actors, helped Jason get his first auditions and roles. Jason attended Westlake High School in Westlake Village, California and graduated in 1998.
Jason attended Moorpark College, a two-year junior college, in Moorpark, California and completed his freshman year in the spring semester of 1999. While attending Moorpark College he was active on the speech and debate teams, competing nationally.
Cook portrayed Shawn-Douglas Brady on Days of Our Lives from October 1999 and was very popular with fans, especially in Shawn's relationship with Belle Black. Cook elected to leave the show when his contract with Days of Our Lives expired in September 2006. He will reprise the role for the show's 50th anniversary in the fall of 2015.
While on the show, Cook turned his attention to writing and directing films, making the indie film The Making of Triassic Park and later Social Security Guard, starring General Hospital co-star John Ingle. He left the show to pursue production full-time on Numb To Life.
While away from acting he continued writing, directing, and producing by shooting the film Numb To Life, a documentary exploring pharmaceutical drug abuse, as his first feature documentary by Jason Cook. The film's release is forthcoming.
Cook is also producing and directing the forthcoming show LifeCHANGE during time off from General Hospital. His most recent project in production is State of Bacon, a mockumentary surround the largest Bacon festival in the world in Des Moines, Iowa.
- "Dark Awakening" or Nevermore (2013) as James Thomas
- The Son of an Afghan Farmer (2011) as Ken
- General Hospital (2008–2012)(TV) as Matt Hunter
- Turbulent Skies (2010) (TV) as John Wilson
- Days of Our Lives (958 episodes, 1999–2006) (TV) as Shawn-Douglas Brady
- The Amanda Show (2 episodes, 1999) (TV)
- Project Time (15 episodes, 1998) (TV) as Jason
- State of Bacon (2013) (as writer/director/Producer)
- The Age of Airships (2013) (YA novel, author)
- LifeCHANGE (2012) (as director/Producer)
- Chop This (2012) (as creator/director)
- East Meets South (2011) (commercial)
- High On the Hog (2011) (music video, as director)
- Two Buck Chuck (2010) (commercial)
- The Boy and His Gryphon (2009) (YA novel, author)
- The Vacation Epic (2008) (as writer)
- Gregg's Story (2008) (as writer)
- Numb To Life (2007–2009) (as writer/director/producer)
- I Arise (2007) (as writer)
- Social Security Guard (2007) (as writer/director/producer)
- School Spirit as Writer (2006) (as writer)
- The Making of Triassic Park (2004) (as writer/director/producer)
Awards and nominations
Jason Cook has received recognition for his work on Days of Our Lives:
- 2001, Won Soap Opera Digest Award for 'Outstanding Younger Lead Actor'
- 2003, Won Boomerang Award for Outstanding Actor
- 2005, nominated for Soap Opera Digest Award for 'Favorite Triangle'
- 2005, nominated for Soap Opera Digest Award for 'Outstanding Younger Lead Actor'
- 2005, nominated for Daytime Emmy Awards Special Fan Award for 'Irresistible Combination'
- "DEA Briefs & Background, Drugs and Drug Abuse, Prescription Drug Fact Sheet". Justice.gov. Retrieved 2012-02-13.
- "Prevention of Prescription Drug Abuse". Fda.gov. Retrieved 2012-02-13.
- [dead link]
- SAMHSA, Office of Applied Studies (2009-09-10). "Results from the 2008 NSDUH: National Findings, SAMHSA, OAS". Oas.samhsa.gov. Retrieved 2012-02-13.
- "Big Pharma Spends More On Advertising Than Research And Development, Study Finds". Sciencedaily.com. 2008-01-05. Retrieved 2012-02-13.
- Hibberd, James (May 8, 2012). "Fox's 'The Choice' cast revealed! Joe Jonas, Dean Cain, The Situation, many more -- EXCLUSIVE". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved April 11, 2013.
- Hibberd, James (May 8, 2012). "Dark Awakening". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved April 11, 2013.