Momoa at the 2014 Florida Supercon, July 5th, 2014
|Born||Joseph Jason Namakaeha Momoa
August 1, 1979
Honolulu, Hawaii, U.S.
|Occupation||Actor, model, director, writer, producer|
|Spouse(s)||Lisa Bonet (2007–present)|
Joseph Jason Namakaeha Momoa (born August 1, 1979) is an American actor, model, director, writer, and producer. He is known for his television roles as Ronon Dex (2005–09) on the military science fiction television series Stargate: Atlantis (2004–09) and as Khal Drogo in the HBO fantasy television series Game of Thrones (2011). He also starred as the title character in the sword and sorcery film Conan the Barbarian (2011).
Road to Paloma, his first film as director, writer, and producer, and in which he also stars in the lead role, was released in July 11, 2014.
An only child, Momoa was born in Honolulu, Hawaii, the son of Coni, a photographer, and Joseph Momoa, a painter. He was raised in Norwalk, Iowa, by his mother. His father is of Native Hawaiian descent, while his mother is of German, Irish, and Native American ancestry. After high school, Jason began college in Iowa as a marine biology major, studying for a period in the Florida Keys. He then transferred his major to wildlife biology in Colorado, before moving to the Hawaiian Islands to reconnect with his dad.
In 1998, Momoa was discovered by international designer Takeo Kobayashi, launching his modeling career and he won Hawaii's Model of the Year 1999 and hosted the Miss Teen Hawaii contest. At 19 years old, he also worked part-time in a surf shop, before being cast in Baywatch Hawaii. To get that role, he lied about his modeling experience on his resume, by including Louis Vuitton and Gucci as past work. Momoa appeared as Jason Ioane in the action drama series Baywatch Hawaii (1999–2001). In addition to his appearances in "North Shore" (2004-2005), "Johnson Family Vacation" (2004), "Stargate: Atlantis" (2005-2009), Momoa was cast as Roman in four episodes of the comedy-drama television series The Game (2009). He then portrayed the title protagonist in Conan the Barbarian (2011), a reimagining of the 1982 film of the same name and a role made famous by Arnold Schwarzenegger. Momoa gained his role of Khal Drogo on HBO's Game Of Thrones through his audition in which he performed the Haka, an intimidating Māori war dance traditionally used on the battlefield.
After the shooting of Stargate Atlantis Season 4 was over, Momoa had his dreadlocks cut off. Their weight had been giving him headaches, and even whiplash when filming action scenes. The program agreed with the decision and had planned to film a scene where Ronon cuts off his hair for Season 5's "Broken Ties", but that change was ultimately overruled by the Sci Fi network. On the first day of filming for Season 5, his dreadlocks were reattached, but the process was too taxing, forcing Momoa to switch to using his stunt double's wig until a custom wig could be made and delivered two weeks later. Coincidentally, when he was first cast for the role, the producers asked him to cut off the dreadlocks, but they became a trademark of his character, so the producers allowed Momoa to keep them.
Road to Paloma is an American drama thriller film directed by Momoa, co-written with Jonathan Hirschbein and Robert Homer Mollohan. The film stars Momoa, Sarah Shahi, Lisa Bonet, Michael Raymond-James and Wes Studi. It premiered at the 2014 Sarasota Film Festival in April 2014. The film had a limited theatrical release on July 15, 2014, in New York City and Los Angeles, an a VOD release.
In June 2014 it was reported that Momoa had been cast in the role of Aquaman in the upcoming superhero film, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. Nothing has been confirmed by the studio nor the filmmakers. When asked about it on The Jimmy Kimmel Show, he said, "Those are all rumours."
He met actress Lisa Bonet in 2005, after mutual friends introduced them. Bonet gave birth to their daughter, Lola Iolani Momoa, on July 23, 2007, and they married November 15, 2007. Bonet and Momoa had a son, Nakoa-Wolf Manakauapo Namakaeha Momoa, on December 15, 2008. The birth was first announced by Momoa's mother on the fan forums of his official site. She said that Nakoa means "warrior" (although the true meaning of the word nakoa is "brave") and Mana stands for “strength/spirit,” while Kaua ("rain") and Po ("dark") pertain to the circumstances surrounding his birthday (he was born on a rare bad-weather night in Los Angeles). He shares his other middle name, Namakaeha, with his father. In a recent interview with Katie Couric, Momoa confessed to having a boyhood crush on Bonet from her role as Denise Huxtable on The Cosby Show.
On November 15, 2008, Momoa was slashed in the face with a broken beer glass at the Birds Cafe, a Hollywood, California, club. He received around 140 stitches during reconstructive surgery, and the scar is apparent in his later work.
|2003||Baywatch: Hawaiian Wedding||Jason Ioane||TV Movie|
|2004||Johnson Family Vacation||Navarro|
|2011||Conan the Barbarian||Conan||CinemaCon Award for Male Rising Star (also for Game of Thrones)|
|2012||Bullet to the Head||Keegan|
|2014||Road to Paloma||Robert Wolf||Also director, producer and co-writer|
|1999–2001||Baywatch Hawaii||Jason Ioane||Main Cast; 44 episodes|
|2004–2005||North Shore||Frankie Seau||Main Cast; 21 episodes|
|2005–2009||Stargate Atlantis||Ronon Dex||Main Cast; 73 episodes|
|2009||Game, TheThe Game||Roman||4 episodes|
|2011–2012||Game of Thrones||Khal Drogo||Main Cast; 10 episodes
CinemaCon Award for Male Rising Star (also for Conan the Barbarian) (2011)
Nominated – Scream Award for Best Ensemble (2011)
Nominated – Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series (2012)
|2014||Drunk History||Jim Thorpe||Guest Star: "Sports Heroes"|
|2014–present||The Red Road||Phillip Kopus||Main Cast; 6 episodes|
- List of Americans of Irish descent
- List of German Americans
- List of Native Americans of the United States
- List of Native Hawaiians
- List of people from Hawaii
- List of people from Iowa
- Jason Momoa of 'Conan the Barbarian' talks about his horse fears, August 20, 2011, Olivia Allin, OnTheRedCarpet.com
- McNary, David (January 21, 2010). "Momoa Set for 'Conan' – New Barbarian Set for Franchise Reboot". Variety. Retrieved August 18, 2011.
- Sophia Ahmad (2010-02-19). "Interview with Norwalk’s ‘Conan’ star Jason Momoa | Des Moines Register Staff Blogs". Blogs.desmoinesregister.com. Retrieved 2014-08-11.
- Jason Momoa's short Biography on TVguide
- Staff (July 19, 2004). "Momoa Makes Hawaii Hot". Extra. Retrieved August 18, 2011.
- ""Game of Thrones" Star Jason Momoa – Katie Couric". Katiecouric.com. Retrieved 2014-08-11.
- "Jason Momoa Biography - Yahoo Movies Canada". Ca.movies.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2014-08-11.
- "Jason Momoa Biography". Starpulse.com. Retrieved 2014-08-11.
- "The Haka - Dance of War - Maori Haka - New Zealand | Tourism NZ". New Zealand. 2014-08-07. Retrieved 2014-08-11.
- Sumner, Darren (May 26, 2008). "Momoa: The Dreads Stay Put". Gateworld. Retrieved August 18, 2011.
- Sumner, Darren (February 23, 2008). "New Plot Details on 'Broken Ties'". Gateworld. Retrieved August 18, 2011.
- "Jason Momoa Talks CONAN; Reveals He’s Writing and Directing ROAD TO PALOMA". collider.com. Retrieved 14 August 2013.
- Gordon Cox Legit Editor @GCoxVariety (2014-03-12). "Jason Momoa’s ‘Road to Paloma’ to Premiere at Sarasota Film Festival". Variety. Retrieved 2014-08-11.
- Schwartz, Terri (2014-02-26). "Jason Momoa landed 'The Red Road' thanks to his directorial debut 'Road to Paloma' - Zap2it | News & Features". Blog.zap2it.com. Retrieved 2014-08-11.
- "Cary Elwes and Jason Momoa to Climb Sugar Mountain". ComingSoon.net. 2014-03-12. Retrieved 2014-08-11.
- "Cary Elwes, Jason Momoa Join Indie 'Sugar Mountain'". Hollywoodreporter.com. 2014-03-12. Retrieved 2014-08-11.
- Sciretta, Peter (June 14, 2014). "Jason Momoa Is Aquaman in ‘Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice’". /Film. Retrieved June 14, 2014.
- McWeeny, Drew (June 14, 2014). "JASON MOMOA WILL PLAY AQUAMAN IN 'DAWN OF JUSTICE,' AND WE KNOW HOW IT WILL HAPPEN". Hitfix. Retrieved June 14, 2014.
- Rebecca Ford and Borys Kit (June 16, 2014). "Jason Momoa to Play Aquaman in 'Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved June 16, 2014.
- 'Those are rumours': Game Of Thrones star Jason Momoa remains coy when grilled about playing Aquaman in Man Of Steel sequel by Helen Zhao, UK Daily Mail, 19 June 2014
- Ryan, Tim (May 11, 1999). "On Baywatch Duty".Honolulu Star-Bulletin. Retrieved August 18, 2011.
- Staff (January 9, 2009). "Lisa Bonet's New Baby's Name Is a Mouthful – Newborn Boy's Name Is Nakoa-Wolf Manakauapo Namakaeha Momoa". Access Hollywood (via MSNBC). Retrieved August 18, 2011.
- Staff (January 26, 2009). "Man Pleads Not Guilty To Assaulting 'Stargate Atlantis' Actor". KNBC. Retrieved August 18, 2011.
- Winton, Richard Los Angeles Times October 7, 2009
- Ryan Turek (2014-02-05). "Exclusive Art, Details for David Hewlett's Debug Starring Jason Momoa". Shocktillyoudrop.com. Retrieved 2014-08-11.
- "David Hewlett's DEBUG Wraps Principal Photography". Collider.com. 2013-03-11. Retrieved 2014-08-11.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jason Momoa.|