June 17, 1966 |
Queens, New York, U.S.
|Partner(s)||Danielle Schreiber (2002–2012)|
Linda Mae Gleason
|Relatives||Jackie Gleason (grandfather)|
Jason Patric (born June 17, 1966) is an American film, television and stage actor. He is known for his roles in the films The Lost Boys, Rush, Sleepers, Your Friends & Neighbors, Narc, The Losers and Speed 2: Cruise Control. His father was actor/playwright Jason Miller. Patric's maternal grandfather is Jackie Gleason.
Patric was born as John Anthony Miller III in Queens, New York. He is the son of Academy Award-nominated actor and Pulitzer Prize-winning playwright Jason Miller (born John Anthony Miller, Jr.) and Linda Mae Gleason, daughter of actor/comedian Jackie Gleason. His half-brother is actor Joshua John Miller. His ancestry is mostly Irish, with some German.
Growing up in Upper Saddle River, New Jersey, he attended the all-boys Salesian Roman Catholic Don Bosco Preparatory High School in Ramsey, New Jersey, and Saint Monica Catholic High School in Santa Monica, California. He appeared in high school productions of Dracula and Grease.
After graduation, he was cast in the television drama Toughlove with Bruce Dern. The following year, Patric was cast in Solarbabies alongside Peter DeLuise, Jami Gertz, Lukas Haas, James LeGros and Adrian Pasdar. Within a few years, Patric would reunite with Gertz in The Lost Boys and After Dark, My Sweet with Dern. He co-starred with George Dzundza and Stephen Baldwin in The Beast.
His scenes in The Thin Red Line were cut before the film's release. He appeared in the Alec Baldwin film The Devil and Daniel Webster, which was shot in 2001, and released in late 2007 as Shortcut to Happiness, but turned down the lead role in The Firm (1993), which went to Tom Cruise. Patric garnered excellent reviews for his performance as an undercover narcotics officer in Narc (2002).
He next appeared on Broadway opposite Brian Cox, Chris Noth, Kiefer Sutherland and Jim Gaffigan in a revival of his father Jason Miller's play, That Championship Season, which began previews on February 9, 2011 and closed on May 29, 2011. The play (written by Jason Miller) debuted in 1972, and won, among other awards, the Pulitzer Prize and the Tony Award.
In 2012, he began filming the Civil War film, Copperhead, but several weeks into the shoot, he was removed from the project by the director, Ronald F. Maxwell for "failing to take direction". His replacement was Billy Campbell.
Patric was romantically involved with 'Denial' co-star, Robin Wright before he began dating actress Julia Roberts days after she canceled her wedding to Kiefer Sutherland in June 1991. They dated for two years, after which he dated former co-star Jennifer Jason Leigh (1993–94). From 1994–2000 he was in a relationship with supermodel Christy Turlington.
Patric is currently subject to a domestic violence restraining order requested by his ex-girlfriend Danielle Schreiber for disturbing her peace. According to the order, Patric was physically and verbally abusive, making anti-semitic remarks, and hitting Schreiber with a phone.
Patric dated Schreiber off and on for approximately 10 years. During the relationship they conceived a son through in vitro fertilization. Patric and Schreiber separated in May 2012. Schieber's attorneys argued that, under California law, Patric was a sperm donor as Schreiber and Patric had not married and the conception of the child was by artificial means, and therefore Patric has no custody rights to the son. Patric  is currently pursuing changes to the law that bars his parental rights. He then sued for parental rights over the child, but lost the case at the trial court level. The Court of Appeal of California, however, stated that the CA Family Code did not preclude him from establishing that he was presumed a parent based on his post birth conduct.  His case was sent back down to the trial court level and is currently pending there. Following his initial loss in trial court, he lobbied the California legislature to give parental rights to sperm donors, an activity he is involved with as of August 2013.
|1986||Solarbabies||Jason||Alternative title: Solar Warriors|
|1987||The Lost Boys||Michael Emerson|
|1988||The Beast||Koverchenko||Alternative title: The Beast of War|
|1990||Denial||Michael||Alternative title: Loon|
|After Dark, My Sweet||Kevin 'Kid' Collins|
|Frankenstein Unbound||Lord George Gordon Byron|
|1993||Geronimo: An American Legend||1st Lt. Charles B. Gatewood|
|1995||The Journey of August King||August King|
|1996||Sleepers||Lorenzo 'Shakes' Carcaterra|
|1997||Speed 2: Cruise Control||Officer Alex Shaw|
|1998||Your Friends & Neighbors||Cary|
|Three Days of Rain|
|2004||The Alamo||Col. James Bowie|
|2006||Walker Payne||Walker Payne|
|2007||Shortcut to Happiness||Ray||Alternative title: The Devil and Daniel Webster|
|In the Valley of Elah||Lt. Kirklander|
|2009||My Sister's Keeper||Brian Fitzgerald|
|2013||The Outsider||Detective Klein|
|2014||Rise of the Lonestar Ranger||Kip Duane||Alternative title: The Last Duane|
|1990||Teach 109||Teach 109||TV Short film|
|1994||Saturday Night Live||Host||Episode: Jason Patric/Blind Melon|
|2005||Night Live: The Best of David Spade||Kevin||TV-special|
Awards and nominations
Las Vegas Film Critics Society Awards
- 1998: Won, "Best Supporting Actor" - Your Friends & Neighbors
- 1999: Nominated, "Best Supporting Actor" - Your Friends & Neighbors
- 2003: Nominated, "Best Performance in a Theatrical Feature Film" - Narc
- 1998: Nominated, "Worst Screen Couple" - Speed 2: Cruise Control (shared w/Sandra Bullock)
- 1999: Nominated, "Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Dramatic Motion Picture" - Your Friends & Neighbors
- 2007: Won, "Best Actor" - Expired
Western Heritage Awards
- 1994: Won, "Best Theatrical Motion Picture" - Geronimo: An American Legend
- "Jason Patric- Biography". Retrieved 2013-03-18.
- Feldberg, Robert. "Jason Patric stars in his father's hit play, 'That Championship Season'", The Record (Bergen County), February 13, 2011. Accessed February 22, 2011. "The money from That Championship Season enabled the family, which included Patric's brother and sister, to move to Upper Saddle River and a five-bedroom house on a large piece of land.... Patric (his given name is Jason Patric Miller Jr.)[dubious ] attended Cavallini Middle School, and then Don Bosco Preparatory High School in Ramsey."
- "Geronimo' Co-star Keeps A Low Profile". Orlando Sentinel. Retrieved 2010-12-12.
- "Amateur Night in Dixie: Cat Proves It Has Nine Lives"
- "Cox, Gaffigan, Noth, Patric & Sutherland to Star in THE CHAMPIONSHIP SEASON".
- O'Connell, Sean (6 June 2012). "Billy Campbell Replaces Jason Patric On Civil War-Era Copperhead". Cinema Blend (online). Retrieved 29 April 2013.
- Dargis, Manohla. "Movies: AboutJason Patric". The New York Times.
- Staff, TMZ (May 29, 2014). "'Jason Patric's Baby Mama: He Called me "Jew C**T & Jew Lawyer and Beat Me With a Phone"". TMZ.
- Larkin, Mike (Nov 28, 2012). "'Sperm donor' Jason Patric tries to get legal access to see his son with ex... but law may stop him". Daily Mail.
- Rosenhall, Laurel (Aug 14, 2013). "California Assembly panel holds sperm donor bill sought by actor Jason Patric". Sacramento Bee.