|This biographical article relies on references to primary sources. (July 2013)|
November 22, 1958 |
Kewanee, Illinois, USA
|Genres||Country rock, Alt.country, Rock|
|Associated acts||Jason & the Scorchers|
The band had several minor hits, including "Golden Ball and Chain" and a blistering rock version of Bob Dylan's "Absolutely Sweet Marie."
Ringenberg was especially influential in the mid-1980s when the indie country/rock fusion movement was at its height. His music, and that of similar bands, served as the roots for the "alt country" genre that would arise in the 1990s.
Jason Ringenberg was born in Kewanee, Illinois and raised in nearby Sheffield, Illinois, where his parents ran a hog farm. He started playing in alternative rock, rock and country-bands in 1980. In 1981 he moved to Nashville, Tennessee, where he soon formed Jason and the Scorcherswith a drummer, lead guitarist and bass guitarist. The group disbanded in 1990.
After touring solo, Ringenberg reunited with the Scorchers in 2010 and together they released a new studio album titled "Halycon Times."
His most recent album, Empire Builders was released in 2004.
He is currently working as a solo artist, both under his own name performing 'regular' Jason Ringenberg material, and using the pseudonym 'Farmer Jason' where he releases farm / animal themed children's songs. He won an Emmy for the “It’s a Farmer Jason!” video program running on PBS stations around the country.
Jason now lives near Bon Aqua, Tennessee, with his wife Suzy; daughters Kelsey, Addie, and Camille; and a barnyard full of animals.
Jason & The Scorchers
- Reckless Country Soul (Praxis, 1982). EP
- Fervor (Praxis, 1983), rereleased in 1984 for EMI.
- Lost & Found (EMI, 1986).
- Still Standing (EMI, 1986).
- Thunder and Fire (A&M, 1989).
- Are You Ready For The Country: The Essential Jason & The Scorchers. Volume One (EMI, 1992)
- A Blazing Grace (Mammoth, 1995).
- Clear Impetuous Morning (Mammoth, 1996).
- Both Sides of The Line (EMI, 1996)
- Midnight Roads and Stages Seen (Mammoth, 1998)
- Rock on Germany (Coragenous Chicken Music, 2001)
- Wildfires & Misfires: Two Decades of Outtakes and Rarities (Coragenous Chicken, 2002).
- Halycon TImes (Coragenous Chicken, 2010).
- One Foot in The Honky Tonk (Liberty, 1992)
- A Pocketful of Soul
- All Over Creation (2002)
- Empire Builders (2004)
As Farmer Jason
- A Day at the Farm With Farmer Jason
- Rockin' In The Forest With Farmer Jason