|Born||Jason Harper Shellen
August 30, 1973
|Residence||San Francisco Bay Area|
|Education||BA in Fine Arts, St. Mary's College of California|
|Known for||Blogger, Google Reader, Brizzly|
Jason Harper Shellen (born August 30, 1973) is an American internet entrepreneur who was the founding project manager of Google Reader and helped create and launch Brizzly. His most recent software startup is the email app Boxer. He has since 2006 been a member of the RSS Advisory Board, a group that publishes the RSS specification and helps developers with web syndication.
Shellen joined Google in 2003 when the company acquired Pyra Labs, which developed the Blogger blogging platform. He left Google four years later and became the vice president of product development of LiveJournal.
In 2008, Shellen created Thing Labs which was acquired by AOL in 2010 to bolster their AIM Messaging division. Having left AOL, Shellen advises startups in Silicon Valley. In October 2014 he was named as one of the investors in the Internet startup Delighted, which collects and analyzes customer feedback for businesses.
Boxer email app
In 2013, Shellen launched Boxer, an IOS app for quickly reading, sorting and responding to email. Shellen described one of its selling points in a Wired interview: "We're the only independent app that supports Gmail and Exchange. There are lots that do one or the other, but this is the only independent one that does both." Boxer was acquired by rival email app maker Taskbox in June 2013 and the latter company adopted the Boxer brand name. The combined company has 20 employees and is based in Austin, Texas. It received $2.8 million in financing from 36 investors in October 2013.
- Blogger (service)
- Google Reader
- RSS Advisory Board
- History of web syndication technology
- "Former Blogger Googler Shellen joins LiveJournal". CNET News. Dec 19, 2007. Retrieved Feb 15, 2013.
- "Lessons on Blogger's journey before Google". Vator News. Retrieved 15 February 2013.
- "Thing Labs". www.crunchbase.com. Retrieved 12 February 2013.
- Mat Honan (June 5, 2013). "Boxer’s New iOS App for Gmail and Exchange Aims for Rapid Response". Wired. Retrieved October 31, 2014.
- "Jason Shellen, Jake Savin Join RSS Advisory Board". April 24, 2006. Retrieved May 9, 2014.
- "AOL Acquires Social Software Start-Up Thing Labs, Inc.". corp.aol.com. Retrieved 12 February 2013.
- Anthony Ha (October 7, 2014). "Delighted Makes It Easy For Startups And Other Businesses To Collect Customer Feedback". Techcrunch. Retrieved October 29, 2014.
- Christopher Calnan (September 4, 2014). "Austin software maker Boxer releases Android version". Austin Business Journal. Retrieved October 31, 2014.
- "Technology Summit 2013". Saint Mary's College of California. 2013. Retrieved May 19, 2014.
- "Board of Regents". Saint Mary's College of California. Retrieved 12 February 2013.