Jason Smith (basketball, born 1986)
Smith during his tenure with the 76ers.
|No. 14 – New York Knicks|
|Position||Power forward / Center|
March 2, 1986 |
|Listed height||7 ft 0 in (2.13 m)|
|Listed weight||240 lb (109 kg)|
|High school||Platte Valley (Kersey, Colorado)|
|College||Colorado State (2004–2007)|
|NBA draft||2007 / Round: 1 / Pick: 20th overall|
|Selected by the Miami Heat|
|2010–2014||New Orleans Hornets/Pelicans|
|2014–present||New York Knicks|
|Career highlights and awards|
Jason Victor Smith (born March 2, 1986) is an American professional basketball player who currently plays for the New York Knicks of the NBA. Smith prepped at Platte Valley High School in Colorado, where he was a two-time state player of the year. He then went on to play collegiately at Colorado State University.
- Earned First Team All-Mountain West Conference honors his sophomore and junior seasons.
- Named All-District by the NABC.
- Currently ranks ninth on Colorado State's all-time leading scoring list with 1,281 points.
- Also ranks sixth in rebounds (683) and fifth in blocked shots (149).
- Recorded 24 career double-doubles, the second-most in school history.
Smith was drafted by the Miami Heat but traded subsequently to the Philadelphia 76ers for shooting guard Daequan Cook on June 28, 2007 on a draft night trade. Smith played a total of nine games in the 2007 NBA Summer League and the Rocky Mountain Revue, averaging 9.9 points (43.0% FGs, 72.4% FTs), 6.0 rebounds and 1.0 assists in 26.1 minutes per game. On August 8, 2008, Sixers GM Ed Stefanski announced that Smith tore his ACL in his left knee during a Sixers camp in Las Vegas.
New Orleans Hornets/Pelicans
On February 1, 2011, Smith had a career high of 20 points vs the Washington Wizards. On December 16, 2011, Smith signed a three-year, $7.5 million deal to remain with the Hornets.
On March 22, 2012, Smith got ejected in a game against the Los Angeles Clippers for a flagrant foul against Blake Griffin. The following day, March 23, the NBA announced that Smith had been suspended for two games for the hard foul. After the game, he apologized, but said it looked a lot worse than it really was. "I think it looked a lot worse than what it was, but that's still not a play that you ever want to do to another player like that," Smith said. "I apologize to Blake Griffin. I didn't want to hurt him at all. I just wanted to try and cut off his lane to the basket."
In April 2013, the Hornets were renamed the Pelicans.
New York Knicks
NBA career statistics
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
- 76ers C Smith, ex-Colorado State player, tears ACL
- Rookie Craig Brackins traded to 76ers
- "Hornets' Jason Smith Suspended 2 Games For Hit On Clippers' Blake Griffin + Video". BallerStatus.com. March 23, 2012. Retrieved November 18, 2013.
- "Knicks Sign Jason Smith". NBA.com. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. July 18, 2014. Retrieved July 18, 2014.
- Jason Smith signs with Knicks