Jason V Brock
|Jason V Brock|
Jason V Brock in 2013
|Born||Jason Vincent Brock
March 1, 1970
Charlotte, North Carolina
|Occupation||Filmmaker, editor, artist, writer, musician|
|Genre||Horror, Science Fiction, Speculative Fiction, Magic Realism, Poetry, Non-Fiction, Comics|
Jason V Brock (born March 1, 1970) is an American author, artist, editor, and director. He is the CEO and co-founder (with his wife, Sunni) of JaSunni Productions, LLC, whose documentary films include the controversial Charles Beaumont: The Short Life of Twilight Zone’s Magic Man, The AckerMonster Chronicles!, and Image, Reflection, Shadow: Artists of the Fantastic. He is also the author of Totems and Taboos, a compilation of his poetry and artwork, and an editor, along with William F. Nolan, of The Bleeding Edge: Dark Barriers, Dark Frontiers and The Devil's Coattails: More Dispatches from the Dark Frontier anthologies published by Cycatrix Press. Brock shares story credit (he was Lead Story Consultant and Lead Designer) on the Logan’s Run: Last Day and related comicbook series from Bluewater Productions. In addition, he is also a writer for the comicbook/graphic novel, Tales from William F. Nolan's Dark Universe (again from Bluewater). He served as Managing Editor/Contributor and Art Director for Dark Discoveries magazine for over four years. His novella, Milton’s Children, was published by Bad Moon Books in early 2013. His poetry, short stories, nonfiction articles, Introductions and essays have been widely published internationally online, in books and in numerous horror, science fiction and fantasy and scholarly print magazines (Fangoria, Dark Discoveries, Calliope [Official Publication of the Writers' Special Interest Group (SIG) of American Mensa, Ltd], Comic-Con International's Souvenir Book, the Weird Fiction Review, American Rationalist [an organ of the Center for Inquiry], and others) and multiple anthologies (Butcher Knives and Body Counts, S. T. Joshi's Black Wings series, Like Water for Quarks, Animal Magnetism, and so on). With a large personality and gregarious nature, he is a popular panelist at many horror conventions (such as MythosCon, Orycon, Crypticon, World Horror Convention, World Fantasy Convention, and others) and film festivals (including the H. P. Lovecraft Film Festival, Buffalo International Film Festival, Lovecraft's Visions, etc.) and has been compared in intensity to Harlan Ellison and Charles Beaumont by his friends and colleagues. Brock is represented by literary agent Cherry Weiner.
- 1 Life and career
- 2 Works
- 3 Influences
- 4 Works in Production
- 5 Affiliations and Awards
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Life and career
Brock was born in Charlotte, North Carolina. His father was a freelance journalist and graphic designer. His stepfather, Danny Thomas, was a drummer for the 13th Floor Elevators. As a teenager, Brock led the Progressive Rock/Avant-Garde band ChiaroscurO in Charlotte. He also assisted his father, James Brock, in writing and design. He later worked for James Robert Smith (editor, and author, The Flock) at a comic book store where he met many like-minded individuals and honed his creative writing skills. After that, he worked as a graphic designer for Morris Costumes in their catalog department and also served as an artist’s apprentice for Pat Piro and as an audio engineer trainee at Reflection Sound Studio under Mark Williams. Brock has lived on the West Coast since 1993 spending time in Seattle, Los Angeles and Vancouver, WA. He was an award-winning Field Service Engineer and Regional Manager for several photo companies (Kits/Ritz Cameras, Konica Quality Photo West) before working as a Product Specialist for Fuji Photo Film; he left to form JaSunni Productions, LLC in 2005. Brock and his wife, Sunni, are longtime vegetarians (often vegan) and animal lovers/animal rights activists. They have several skinks, an iguana named Liz, and four red-foot tortoises that roam their home wearing diapers. During filming of the Charles Beaumont documentary, he struck up a deep friendship with William F. Nolan who is also a vegetarian and very fond of animals. Nolan relocated to Vancouver, WA to be near the Brocks who are like an extended family.
- Animal Magnetism, poetry. Featured contributor. Edited by S. A. Parham & W. Olivia Race. P. R. Publishing, 2005.
- The Bleeding Edge: Dark Barriers, Dark Frontiers, fiction. Contributor/Designer. Edited by Jason V Brock and William F. Nolan. Cycatrix Press, 2010.
- Like Water for Quarks, fiction. Edited by Elton Elliott and Bruce Taylor. MVP Publishing, 2011.
- Butcher Knives & Body Counts, nonfiction. Edited by Vince Liaguno. Dark Scribe Press, 2011.
- The Devil’s Coattails: More Dispatches from the Dark Frontier, fiction. Contributor/Designer. Edited by Jason V Brock and William F. Nolan. Cycatrix Press, 2012.
- Black Wings II, fiction. Edited by S. T. Joshi. PS Publishing, 2012.
- Night Terrors II, fiction. Edited by Theresa Dillon. Blood Bound Books, 2012.
- Slices of Flesh, fiction. Edited by Stan Swanson. Dark Moon Books, 2012.
- Dangers Untold, fiction (reprint). Edited by Jennifer Brozek. Alliteration Ink, 2012.
- Bleed, fiction (reprint). Edited by Lori Michelle. Perpetual Motion Machine Publishing, 2013.
- Blood Type: An Anthology of Vampire SF on the Cutting Edge, fiction. Edited by Robert S. Wilson. Nightscape Press, 2013.
- The Best of The Horror Society 2013, fiction (reprint). Edited by Carson Buckingham. CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform, 2013.
- Flotsam Fantastique -- Souvenir Book of the World Fantasy Awards 2013, nonfiction. Edited by Stephen Jones (author). PS Publishing, 2013.
- Black Wings III, fiction. Edited by S. T. Joshi. PS Publishing, 2014.
- Searchers After Horror, fiction. Edited by S. T. Joshi. Fedogan & Bremer, 2014.
- A Darke Phantastique -- Encounters with the Uncanny and Other Magical Things..., fiction. Contributor/Designer. Edited by Jason V Brock. Cycatrix Press, 2014.
- Qualia Nous, fiction (reprint). Edited by Michael Bailey[disambiguation needed]. Written Backwards, 2014.
- Shrieks and Shivers, fiction. Edited by Jeani Rector. Post Mortem Press, 2015.
- Black Wings IV, fiction. Edited by S. T. Joshi. PS Publishing, 2015.
- Simulacrum and Other Possible Realities, short story and poetry collection. Author and illustrator. Hippocampus Press, 2013.
- Disorders of Magnitude: A Survey of Dark Fantasy, nonfiction. Author. Scarecrow Press, 2014.
- The Dark Sea Within and Other Macabre Revelations, short story and poetry collection. Author and illustrator. TBD, 2016.
Comics and Graphic Novels
- Logan's Run: Last Day. Lead Story/Lead Costume Design; Comic, Radio Dramatization/CD, Graphic Novel. Bluewater Productions, 2009-2011.
- Logan's Run: Aftermath. Lead Story/Lead Costume Design; Comic, Radio Dramatization/CD, Graphic Novel. Bluewater Productions, 2011-2012.
- Logan's Run: Solo. Writer; Comic and Graphic Novel. Bluewater Productions, 2013.
- Tales from William F. Nolan's Dark Universe. Writer; Comic and Graphic Novel. Bluewater Productions, 2013.
- Dark Discoveries, magazine. Managing Editor/Art Director/Contributor. Dark Discoveries Publications, 2008–2013.
- The Bleeding Edge: Dark Barriers, Dark Frontiers, anthology. Editor (with William F. Nolan)/Contributor/Designer. Cycatrix Press, 2010. The anthology featured previously unpublished material by Ray Bradbury, Richard Matheson, William F. Nolan, George Clayton Johnson, Dan O’Bannon, Earl Hamner, Jr., Norman Corwin, John Shirley, and many younger authors, with a foreword by S. T. Joshi. The release was celebrated by an unprecedented signing event in Glendale, Ca at Mystery and Imagination Bookstore where a nearly 90-year-old Bradbury and nearly 100-year-old Corwin greeted hundreds of fans who waited hours to get their copies signed by the fourteen authors in attendance. The book went on to win an award for Book and Jacket Design from Pacific Printing Industries Association, as well as several Honorable Mentions and a main selection in The Best Horror of the Year, edited by Ellen Datlow. The book sold-out in its initial run and is to be re-issued by Hippocampus Press in 2015 as an affordable paperback edition.
- William F. Nolan: A Miscellany, chapbook. Editor/Designer. Dark Discoveries Publications in conjunction with Cycatrix Press, 2011.
- The Devil’s Coattails: More Dispatches from the Dark Frontier, anthology. Editor (with William F. Nolan)/Contributor/Designer. Cycatrix Press, 2012. The anthology featured previously unpublished material by Ramsey Campbell, Richard Selzer, Gary Braunbeck, and a host of others. The book also went on to win an award for Book and Jacket Design from Pacific Printing Industries Association. A success in hardcover, the book is due to be re-issued by Hippocampus Press in 2015 as an affordable paperback edition.
- Nameless Digest (perfect-bound print/PDF e-book/website), and website. Founder/Editor-in-Chief/Art Director/Contributor. Cycatrix Press, 2011–present (approximately twice a year). The managing editor is S. T. Joshi, and the journal has presented interviews with many important filmmakers, artists, and authors, including George A. Romero, as well as new fiction, nonfiction, and artwork from a wide variety of creators, such as Kris Kuksi, Nolan, Joshi, Roger Anker, and many more.
- Like a Dead Man Walking and Other Shadow Tales (formerly titled The Blood Princess and Other Shadow Tales), fiction collection by William F. Nolan. Editor/Contributor. Formerly with Arkham House, and finally published by Centipede Press due to Arkham House's apparent dissolution, 2014.
- A Darke Phantastique -- Encounters with the Uncanny and Other Magical Things..., anthology. Editor/Contributor/Designer. Cycatrix Press, 2014. The anthology featured previously unpublished material by over forty writers, including Bradbury, Braunbeck, Nolan, Joshi, Steve Rasnic Tem, Melanie Tem, Cody Goodfellow, Richard Gavin, Mike Allen, Tom Conoboy, Joe R. Lansdale, Ray Garton, Greg Bear, and others. The release was celebrated by two major signing events: the first was again held in Glendale, Ca at Mystery and Imagination Bookstore with eleven contributors, including Joe R. Lansdale, and Dennis Etchison; the second was held at the University Bookstore in Seattle, Wa, and featured S. T. Joshi, W. H. Pugmire, Greg Bear, and several others.
- Charles Beaumont: The Life of Twilight Zone’s Magic Man, documentary. Director/Writer/Producer. Distributed by Sonique Theatre Media; JaSunni Productions, LLC, 2010. An unqualified success, the acclaimed film was invited to have its World Premiere at a sell-out, celebrity-studded event hosted by Sid Grauman's historic Egyptian Theatre (American Cinematheque) in Hollywood, CA, in March, 2010.
- The AckerMonster Chronicles!, 2014 Rondo Hatton Award winning documentary (about super-fan, Famous Monsters of Filmland editor, and Vampirella creator Forrest J Ackerman). Director/Writer/Producer. Distributed by Sonique Theatre Media; JaSunni Productions, LLC, 2012. Once again, the film was invited to have its World Premiere at a major event hosted by the landmark Aero Theatre (also part of the prestigious American Cinematheque) in Santa Monica, CA to a packed house on what would have been Ackerman's 97th birthday on November 24, 2013, complete with a Birthday Cake Reception and a signing attended by panelists/contributors to the film.
- Image, Reflection, Shadow: Artists of the Fantastic, documentary (regarding metaphorical imagery from Hieronymus Bosch to the present, including Surrealism, Symbolism, and Fantastic Realism, and featuring interviews with H. R. Giger, Ernst Fuchs (artist), Alex Grey, Roger Dean (artist), and a host of others). Director/Writer/Producer. Distributed by Sonique Theatre Media; JaSunni Productions, LLC, (forthcoming) 2015.
- Milton’s Children, novelette. Author and illustrator. Bad Moon Books, 2013.
- (UnSub), a novel trilogy consisting of: Arrivals/Departures, Homunkulus, and End Stages. Author. TBD, 2015-2016.
- The Kellen Diaries, short novel. Author. TBD, 2015.
- The Ascent of Darkness--A Novel of the Weird, novel; an expansion of the Milton's Children/"The Shadow of Heaven" mythos. Author. TBD, 2015.
- Multiple appearances in the form of tributes for Locus (magazine), as well as the San Diego Comic-Con International Souvenir Book for friends of Brock's such as H. R. Giger, Ray Bradbury, Forrest J Ackerman, and others.
- Rude Mechanicals, by Kage Baker. Model for J. K. Potter (cover and interior images). Subterranean Press, 2007.
- Dark Dimensions, collection by William F. Nolan. Introduction. Darkwood Press, 2010.
- The Complete History of 'The Return of the Living Dead', by Christian Sellers and Gary Smart. Photographs. Plexus Publishing Limited, 2010.
- Guest Writer—September, 2011, online. Writer, two stories featured ("Red-Wat-Shod", "The Underground"). Paul Kane (writer)'s Shadow Writer website, 2011.
- The Gothic Imagination, interview collection by John C. Tibbetts. Interviewee. Palgrave Macmillan, 2011.
- Weird Fiction Review #2, edited by S. T. Joshi. Nonfiction article. Centipede Press, 2011.
- Hellfire & Damnation II, collection by Connie Corcoran Wilson. Introduction. The Merry Blacksmith Press, 2012.
- Weird Fiction Review #3, edited by S. T. Joshi. Nonfiction article. Centipede Press, 2012.
- Nolan on Bradbury: Sixty Years of Writing about the Master of Science Fiction, edited by S. T. Joshi. Introduction, tribute, and joint interview with Bradbury/Nolan. Hippocampus Press, 2013.
- Fungi #21, journal edited by Pierre Comtois. Article reprint and illustration. 2013.
- Monstrous Singularities, online. Columnist for scholar Matt Cardin's electronic magazine/website, The Teeming Brain. Nonfiction. 2013–present.
- Weird Fiction Review #4, edited by S. T. Joshi. Nonfiction article. Centipede Press, 2014.
- Weird Fiction Review #5, edited by S. T. Joshi. Fiction, as well as an interview with Al Feldstein. Centipede Press, 2014.
- Logan's Run: The Definitive Edition, by William F. Nolan and George Clayton Johnson. Introduction. Centipede Press, 2014.
- A Confederacy of Horrors, by James Robert Smith (author). Afterword. Hippocampus Press, 2015.
- Totems and Taboos, illustrated chapbook. Writer/Artist. Cycatrix Press, 2005.
- Spectral Realms #1, edited by S. T. Joshi. Poetry. Hippocampus Press, 2014.
- Spectral Realms #2, edited by S. T. Joshi. Poetry. Hippocampus Press, 2015.
As Publisher of Others (Cycatrix Press)
- (section forthcoming)
- Literary: Jorge Luis Borges, H. P. Lovecraft, Kafka, Rod Serling, Bataille, Kurt Vonnegut, W. S. Burroughs, J. G. Ballard, George Orwell, Dante, Mary Shelley, Percy Shelley, Homer, Poe, Robbe-Grillet, Richard Selzer, William F. Nolan, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Ray Bradbury, George Clayton Johnson, Charles Beaumont, Dennis Etchison, William Faulkner, Richard Matheson, Emily Dickinson, William Shakespeare 
- Visual: Hieronymus Bosch, Pieter Brueghel the Elder, Ernst Fuchs, Botticelli, Wolfgang Grasse, Beksinski, Bocklin, Vesalius, EC Comics, Francis Bacon, H. R. Giger, Minor White, Helmut Newton 
- Cinematic: Dan O’Bannon (a personal friend and mentor), David Cronenberg, George A. Romero, Alfred Hitchcock, Luis Buñuel, Kurosawa, Brakhage, Roger Corman, Oliver Stone, Dario Argento 
- Musical: David Bowie, The Beatles, King Crimson, Anthony Braxton, John Zorn, Sir Peter Maxwell-Davies, Philip Glass, Rush, Segovia, Peter Gabriel, Paul Simon, Yes, The Police, classical, jazz, soundtracks, John Coltrane, John McLaughlin
Works in Production
- Strange Interlude: The Many Worlds of Charles Beaumont, bibliography. Editor (with William F. Nolan). TBD, 2015.
- Through Darkness Revealed, novel (formerly titled "Inheritance"). Author. TBD, 2016.
- Logan Falls, novel (a new sequel in the Logan's Run series). Author (with William F. Nolan), TBD, 2016.
Affiliations and Awards
- Active Member, Horror Writers Association (HWA).
- Member, Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America (SFWA).
- Member, International Association for the Fantastic in the Arts (IAFA).
- Member, Photo Marketing Association (PMA).
- Member, Certified Photographic Consultants (CPC).
- Member, Society of Photofinishing Engineers (SPFE).
- Award for Book and Jacket Design 2010, Pacific Printing Industries Association (PPI).
- Award for Book and Jacket Design 2012, Pacific Printing Industries Association (PPI).
- 2014 Rondo Hatton Award for Best Documentary: The AckerMonster Chronicles!.
- Elliot, Tom. "Charles Beaumont: Twilight Zone's Magic Man". The Twilight Zone Podcast. The Twilight Zone Network. Retrieved 17 August 2011.
- "Prolific author William F. Nolan lured to Vancouver by an unlikely friendship". The Columbian. 2010-02-28.
- "About Page". Dark Discoveries.
- Beach, James R. (Summer 2009) , "Jason V Brock: Filmmaker, Writer, Provocateur", Dark Discoveries (Issue 14)
- Lilith, Kasandora. "Author Interviews". SNM Horror Magazine. Steve Marshall. Retrieved 07-03-2011. Check date values in:
- "Jason V Brock". Author Biography. Pacific Northwest Chapter of the Horror Writers Association.
- Brock, Sunni K (March 12, 2010). "Back From the Edge". Extras. Cemetery Dance.
- Datlow, Ellen. "Best Horror of the Year Vol. 3". Ellen Datlow's Journal. Retrieved 10 May 2011.
- "The Devil’s Coattails – Book Review". Hellnotes. Retrieved October 24, 2012.
- Vanderburgh, George. "Arkham House Forthcoming List (2011-2014)". The Batteredbox’s Weblog.
- Gresh, Lois. "The Future of Arkham House (and Other Weird Matters)". LOIS GRESH: Author.
- Brock, Sunni K (May 28, 2010). "Learning the Tricks of the Trade". Extras. Cemetery Dance.
- "Here Are The Winners of Rondo XII". Rondo Hatton Classic Horror Awards. May 12, 2014.
- Brock, Jason V (September 1, 2011). "Red-Wat-Shod, The Underground". Guest Writer. Shadow Writer.
- Joshi, S. T. (March 2011). "Nolan on Bradbury". Nolan on Bradbury. Hippocampus Press.
- Comtois, Pierre. "Fungi 21, Summer 2013". Fungi 21.
- Brock, Jason V (November 10, 2010). "Dan O'Bannon: Not Gone, Not Forgotten". Fearful Features. Fangoria.
- "Radio Interview with Jason V Brock". The Joe Parrington Experience. September 24, 2010. KLAY. http://www.joeparrington.com/september24.html.
- JaSunni Productions website
- NAMELESS Digest website
- Jason V Brock at the Internet Movie Database
- Jason V Brock on FaceBook
- Jason V Brock at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database