Cillessen playing for NEC in 2011
|Full name||Jasper Cillessen|
|Date of birth||22 April 1989|
|Place of birth||Groesbeek, Netherlands|
|Height||1.87 m (6 ft 2 in)|
|2013||→ Jong Ajax||3||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 4 May 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
Cillessen began playing for the local youth team of De Treffers, before being scouted to the NEC/FC Oss youth academy in 2001. In 2008 he signed his first professional contract with NEC, and started playing for the reserves. In 2010, Cillessen agreed a new two-year contract at NEC until June 2012.
Cillessen made his senior debut on 28 August 2010 in a 2–2 home draw against SC Heerenveen, because of an injury for Gábor Babos. In this match he was directly proclaimed "Man of the match". Even when first keeper Babos returned from the injury, Cillessen managed to keep his spot in the first team, and he signed a two-year contract extension that tied him to NEC until 2014. After a magnificent 2010–11 season, Cillessen was awarded the Gelderland footballer of the year.
On 27 August 2011 it was announced that NEC and Ajax had reached an agreement for a transfer of Jasper Cillessen to the Amsterdam club for an estimated €3,000,000, having signed a 5-year contract, binding him to Ajax until 2016.
Jasper Cillessen made his first appearance for Ajax on 21 September 2011, in a 2nd round KNVB Cup away match against VV Noordwijk. He played the full 90' minutes, conceding only to Sijbren Bartlema in the '66-minute of the 1–3 away victory. He made his first appearance for Ajax in a 2011–12 Eredivisie Season match on 23 October 2011 against arch-rivals Feyenoord, coming in as 66' minute substitute for right back Gregory van der Wiel, after starting Goalkeeper Kenneth Vermeer had been shown a red card. With Ajax down to 10 men, Jasper CIllessen helped Ajax retain a 1–1 draw, by not conceding any more goals after Jan Vertonghen tied the game just minutes after the ejection of Vermeer.
Cillessen's breakthrough into the first team began during the 2013 preseason. The Ajax manager, Frank de Boer, said that both of his two leading goalkeepers would get a chance to show why they should be his first choice. Early that season Cillessen made his first sustained run of appearances for Ajax in the Eredivisie.
In October 2010, Cillessen was called up for the Dutch national U-21 team by national team coach, Cor Pot, for the 2011 UEFA European U-21 Football Championship play-off qualification match against Ukraine. After the 2010–11 season, Cillessen was placed in the pre-selection for the senior squad's friendly matches against Uruguay and Brazil. Eventually, coach Bert van Marwijk selected Cillessen for the Netherlands national team's friendly trip to South America. On 7 May 2012, Cillessen was named in the provisional list of 36 players for the UEFA Euro 2012 tournament, one of nine uncapped players to be chosen by manager Bert van Marwijk as part of the preliminary squad.
On 7 June 2013, Cillessen obtained his first cap for the Netherlands national team under manager Louis van Gaal, after several call-ups in the past. Cillessen started and played the first half in a friendly encounter against Indonesia in a 0–3 away win for the Dutch. Cillessen was relieved in goal by Kenneth Vermeer in the 46th minute, as the two helped keep a clean sheet during their friendly encounter in Asia.
In June 2014, Cillessen was selected in the Netherlands' squad for the 2014 FIFA World Cup. He was given the number 1 jersey and selected as first choice goalkeeper for the team's opening match against Spain.
|Dutch national team|
- Statistics accurate as of matches played on 5 July 2014.
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (July 2014)|
- Gelderland footballer of the year: 2011
- Gillette Player of the Year: 2014
- "2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil: List of Players" (PDF). FIFA. 11 June 2014. p. 25. Retrieved 11 June 2014.
- "Jasper Cillessen in selectie van Oranje". De Groesbeek. 23 May 2011. Retrieved 3 August 2011.
- "Jasper Cillessen Gelders Voetballer van het Jaar". Omroep Gelderland. 28 April 2011. Retrieved 3 August 2011.
- "NEC reach agreement for the sale of Jasper Cillessen". Goal.com. 27 August 2011. Retrieved 29 August 2011.
- "Ajax vs. Feyenoord 1–1". Soccerway.com. 23 October 2011. Retrieved 24 October 2011.
- "Cillessen voor Tim Krul bij Jong Oranje". Telegraaf. 10 October 2010. Retrieved 3 August 2011.
- "Indonesia 0–3 Netherlands". Soccerway. 7 June 2013. Retrieved 24 June 2013.
- "Netherlands thrash Spain - as it happened". BBC. 13 June 2014. Retrieved 14 June 2014.
- "Jasper Cillessen Voetbal International profile". Voetbal International.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jasper Cillessen.|
- Voetbal International profile (Dutch)