Jasper High School (Indiana)
|Jasper High School|
Learning for Life
|Type||Public high school|
|School district||Greater Jasper Consolidated Schools|
|Number of students||1050|
|Song||Indiana, Our Indiana|
4A (Fall Sports)
3A (Spring & Winter Sports)
Big Eight Conference (Indiana)
Jasper High School (JHS) is a grades 9-12 public high school located in Jasper, Indiana, and one of five Greater Jasper Consolidated Schools. The principal is Brian Wilson. It has an enrollment of around 1,000 students. The school's colors are black and gold, the school song is "Indiana, Our Indiana", and the mascot is the wildcat.
Jasper High School was built in 1978 and subsequent remodeling was carried out in 2002. The facilities include 206,000 square feet, built on 50 acres of land. In 2010, the school was one of eighteen public high schools in the state of Indiana to be named a "four star school". Jasper draws students from the Bainbridge, Madison and Boone townships in Dubois County.
Jasper High offers over eighty courses. The school follows a seven period daily schedule (8:00 am – 3:00pm), with two and a half lunch periods during fifth period. Jasper High School teaches three languages: German, Spanish, and French. Science courses include Biology (Regular and Honors), Integrated Chemistry and Physics (ICP), Chemistry 1 and 2, Physics (Regular, Honors, and AP), Earth and Space Science (Regular and Honors), and Anatomy and Physiology (A&P).
On May 2, 2011, the main gym collapsed due to a buildup of rainwater on the roof, causing the school to be temporarily closed. The school used the Cabby O'Neill Gymnasium, located near the courthouse on 6th street, Jasper, as a temporary replacement while a new gymnasium was built. This was the first time the Cabby O’Neill had hosted Jasper High School athletic events since 1977. The school rebuilt the gymnasium and an open house and dedication ceremony was held on September 20, 2013. The new gymnasium has a seating capacity of 4,800.
- Paul Hoffman (1943) Basketball player in the NBA and 4 time All-American at Purdue University; League Champion in 1947-48
- Scott Rolen (1993) – Major League Baseball player, MLB All Star, Gold Glove, World Series Champion; former member of Philadelphia Phillies, St. Louis Cardinals, Toronto Blue Jays and current member of Cincinnati Reds.
- Matt Mauck (1997) — football player: LSU Tigers football starting quarterback; former NFL player with Tennessee Titans and Denver Broncos.
- "Student Handbook, 2013-2014" (PDF). Jasper High School. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- Jasper High School. "School Improvement Plan" (PDF). Jasper High School. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- Greater Jasper Consolidated Schools. "District Profile". 2010. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- Eckerle, Greg (September 5, 2011). "Jasper thankful for old gym during rebuilding process". Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- "Historic high school basketball arenas". January 30, 2012. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- Raths, Bradford (September 23, 2013). "Greater Jasper Schools Holds Gym Ribbon Cutting". DC Broadcasting. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- Tanton, Bill (July 8, 1993). "Ex-Bullet Hoffman named All-Indiana, at age 68 BASKETBALL". Baltimore Sun. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- Eckerle, Greg (March 4, 2008). "'Greatest game' lives on". Evansville Courier & Press. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- "Mauck brings maturity and quiet leadership to LSU". ESPN. September 27, 2003. Retrieved 4 February 2014.