Jatt & Juliet
|Jatt & Juliet|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Anurag Singh|
|Produced by||Darshan Singh Grewal
Gunbir Singh Sidhu
|Screenplay by||Dheeraj Rattan|
|Story by||Dheeraj Rattan|
|Music by||Jatinder Singh-Shah
DJ Nik (Pooja Kiven Aa)
|Edited by||Manish More|
Grewalz Cine Corp.
|Distributed by||Speed Records|
|Budget||35 million (US$570,000)|
|Box office||350 million (US$5.7 million) (Worldwide)|
Jatt & Juliet (Punjabi: ਜੱਟ ਐੰਡ ਜੂਲੀਅਟ) is a Punjabi romantic comedy directed by Anurag Singh and produced by Darshan Singh Grewal and Gunbir Singh Sidhu. The film stars Diljit Dosanjh opposite Neeru Bajwa. It was released to theaters on 29 June 2012. Upon release, the film became a massive blockbuster at the box office and also won multiple awards at the PTC Punjabi Film Awards 2013 including Best Film, Best Director, Best Actor and Best Actress. The film also spawned a sequel the following year, titled Jatt & Juliet 2 featuring most of the same cast and crew. The sequel also broke records at the box office, and ended up becoming the highest-grossing Punjabi film ever. This film is loosely based on Bollywood Movie 'Hadh Kar Di Aapne' starring Govinda.
- Diljit Dosanjh as Fateh Singh
- Neeru Bajwa as Pooja
- Rana Ranbir as Shampy
- Sari Mercer as Jennifer (Jenny)
- Upasana Singh as Channo
- Jaswinder Bhalla as Joginder Singh
- Karamjit Anmol as Natha
- B.N. Sharma as Shampy's father
- Lakhwinder Sandhu as Bhola (Lakhwinder Singh)
- Balinder Johal as the Kathy (Rihanna)
- Anita Devgan as Fateh's mother
- Amrit Billa as Fateh's Father
- Sunita Dheer as Pooja's mother
- Anita Kailey as Jaswinder (Jazzy)
- Amrinder Gill as Yuvraj Singh (Guest appearance)
Fateh Singh (Diljit Dosanjh),a mad villager is crazy about marrying a Canadian girl to get the citizenship of Canada while on the other side Pooja (Neeru Bajwa) a classy modern girl wants to go to Canada to study fashion designing. They both first meet at the passport office where Fateh asks Pooja to fill his form because his hand was injured which he was pretending because of his lack of English. They both again meet at the ing Pooja and they always have fight due to this. Pooja looks for a nice accommodation where she finds a nice house and while getting money out of the ATM, she gets robbed by two thugs. Unfortunately, Pooja has to look for cheaper place where she meets Fateh again and has to share that apartment with him. A day arrives when Jenny a Canadian Caucasian girl, arrives to the house where Pooja and Fateh are living as she is the step-daughter of the house owner. Pooja asks Fateh to propose Jenny and they both start making plans how to get Jenny for Fateh, but when fateh comes to know that Jenny is going to Africa for social service, he ditches her and poor Jenny is left heartbroken. The owner of the house throws both of them out and they work at two different Apna Chulha restaurants that are run by wife and husband, who are not together now. Fateh and Pooja soon come to know that the Apna Chulha is going to be re-possessed by the bank because of six unpaid property payments for the loan. Fateh and Pooja work out the process of re-joining the husband and wife together so that the loan could be paid off. Slowly, Fateh and Pooja start falling for each other but both of them don't want to admit it. Fateh realises that he loves Pooja when Pooja's fiancé, Yuvraj comes to take Pooja with him to India for their marriage. Finally Fateh leaves for India with a hope to bring Pooja back to his life but after watching Pooja has been married he is left heart broken. After a while, he meets Yuvraj who tells him that Pooja is still single and Fateh runs to propose Pooja and they live happily ever after.
The movie had a historic opening, it opened to 100% occupancies and shattered all previous Punjabi Film openings by a distance. It collected Rs 8 million on its first day in Punjab and Rs 22.7 million in its opening weekend. It set a record for the first week box office by collecting of Rs 47 million (Rs 43 million East Punjab + Rs 4 million Delhi/UP) and in its second weekend it collected Rs 20 million plus to become the highest grossing Punjabi Film with a collection of Rs 67.5 million in just 10 days! After four weeks of release it has grossed a total of Rs 108 million from the East Punjab territory, which is the 3rd highest total in that territory in the history of Indian Cinema, only behind Shah Rukh Khan's Ra.One and Don 2. The total 4-week collection for Jatt and Juliet in India is Rs 121 million (Rs 108 million East Punjab + Rs 12.7 million Delhi/UP) and is on its way to finish at Rs 140 million nett in India.
- Punjab: Rs 125 million (5-week total)
- Delhi/UP: Rs 15 million (5-week total)
- Canada: Rs 56 million
- USA: Rs 10 million
- UK: Rs 12.9 million (7-week total)
- Australia: Rs 27 million (4-week total)
- New Zealand: Rs 3 million (3-week total)
- Total worldwide: Rs 350 million.
In September 2012 it was announced that there would be a sequel to Jatt & Juliet, entitled simply Jatt & Juliet 2. The movie marks the first time a Punjabi film has had a sequel made. The film was released on 28 June 2013 and was featuring much of the same cast, including of Diljit Dosanjh as Fateh Singh and Neeru Bajwa as Pooja and crew of the first film. The theatrical trailer released on 23 May 2013.
Jatt & Juliet has been one of the huge success of Punjabi film industry. Jatt & Juliet along with its sequel Jatt & Juliet 2 have made huge collections. Being impressed from the storyline of Jatt & Juliet, Himesh Reshammiya has decided to make Hindi remake of Jatt & Juliet.
He has purchased the remake rights of the movie for Rs. 35 million. It is also heard that superstar Akshay Kumar and the popular Punjabi actress Neeru Bajwa is expected to play lead role in the remake. Grapevine has it that the remake will be produced by production house of the superstar of Bollywood Salman Khan. It is heard that Salman Khan's Production House along with Himesh Reshammiya's HR Musik will be producing the Hindi remake of Jatt & Juliet.
The Hindi remake of Jatt & Juliet will be directed by Anurag Singh. Anurag Singh said in an interview, when asked about doing the remake, "Yes I'm supposed to do the Hindi remake as and when it happens."
In Bengali, it was remade into Bangali Babu English Mem, starring Soham Chakrabourtyy & Mimi directed by Ravi Kinagi, produced by Shree Venkatesh Films. The film had an excellent response there & its collections is almost matching with the original.
Awards and nominations
Jatt and Juliet bagged seven awards including all the top awards (Best Film, Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actor) at the 3rd PTC Film Awards 2013.
- PTC Punjabi Film Award for Best Director – Anurag Singh
- PTC Punjabi Film Award for Best Film – Darshan Pal Singh Grewal & Gunbir Singh Sidhu
- PTC Punjabi Film Award for Best Actor – Diljit Dosanjh
- PTC Punjabi Film Award for Best Actress – Neeru Bajwa
- PTC Punjabi Film Award for Best Supporting Actress – Upasna Singh
- PTC Punjabi Film Award for Best Popular Song of the Year – Pooja Kiven Aa (Sharry Mann)
- PTC Punjabi Film Award for Best Screenplay – Dheeraj Rattan
- PTC Punjabi Film Award – Best Background Score – Raju Rao
- PTC Punjabi Film Award – Best Editing – Manish More
- PTC Punjabi Film Award – Best Story – Dheeraj Rattan
- PTC Punjabi Film Award – Best Cinematography – Anshul Chobey
- PTC Punjabi Film Award – Best Dialogues – Dheeraj Rattan
- PTC Punjabi Film Award – Best Music Director – Jatinder Shah
- PTC Punjabi Film Award – Best Playback Singer (male) – Diljit Dosanjh for Bacha Ho Gya
- PTC Punjabi Film Award – Best Playback Singer (male) – Sukhwinder Singh for Challi Vangra Judai
- PTC Punjabi Film Award – Best Popular Song of the Year – Bacha Ho Gya
- PTC Punjabi Film Award – Best Performance in a Comic Role – Rana Ranbir
- PTC Punjabi Film Award – Best Supporting Actor – Jaswinder Bhalla
|1||"Fatto"||Diljit Dosanjh||Kumar||Jatinder Singh-Shah|
|2||"Hi Fi Juliet"||Diljit Dosanjh||Kumar||Jatinder Singh-Shah|
|3||"Kuriye Mind Na Karin"||Diljit Dosanjh||Veet Baljit||Jatinder Singh-Shah|
|4||"Challi Vangra Judai"||Sukhwinder Singh||Raj Kakra||Jatinder Singh-Shah|
|5||"Bachaa"||Diljit Dosanjh||Veet Baljit||Jatinder Singh-Shah|
|6||"Pooja Kiven Aa"||Sharry Maan||Sharry Maan||DJ Nick|
|7||"Main Jaagaan Swere"||Diljit Dosanjh||Jaggi Singh||Jatinder Singh-Shah|
- Punjab, Cine (1 March 2013). "PTC Film Awards 2013". indiatimes.com. Retrieved 23 September 2012.
- "Jatt and Juliet has the Biggest Punjabi Film Opening". Retrieved 2 July 2011.
- "Jatt and Juliet set to cross Rs10 Crores". Retrieved 10 July 2011.
- "Jatt and Juliet is the Biggest Punjabi Grosser". Retrieved 2 July 2011.
- Trade Network, Box Office India. "Jatt and Juliet Continues With Mind Boggling Collections". boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved 31 July 2012.
- Trade Network, Box Office India. "Jatt and Juliet 4 Week Total Collections". boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved 31 July 2012.
- Trade Network, Box Office India. "Jatt and Juliet Punjab & Delhi UP 4 Week Box Office". boxofficeindia.com. Retrieved 31 July 2012.
- "Jatt & Juliet 4 weeks World Wide Box Office Collections". Movie Weaver. 31 July 2012.
- Adarsh, Taran. "Overseas Box Office – Jatt & Juliet 7 Weeks UK". bollywoodhungama.com. Retrieved 31 July 2012.
- Adarsh, Taran. "Overseas Box Office – Jatt and Juliet 4 Weeks Australia". bollywoodhungama.com. Retrieved 24 July 2012.
- Adarsh, Taran. "Overseas Box Office – Jatt and Juliet 3 @ Weeks New Zealand". bollywoodhungama.com. Retrieved 17 July 2012.
- "Jatt & Juliet 2". Punjabiportal. Retrieved 28 June 2013.
- "Akshay kumar in J&J remake".