Java User Group
A Java User Group (JUG) is a community of users of the Java programming language. Most JUGs are geographically bound, such as SouJava (Brazil), LJC (London, UK), PhillyJUG (Philadelphia, USA) and JUGChennai (India).
Typically, members of a JUG support each other through:
- regular meetings (e.g. monthly)
- mailing lists
- a collaborative website or wiki
- study groups for Java certification exams
Like other technology user groups, many JUGs cover costs by meeting in educational or community spaces (e.g. university lecture halls) and/or asking local companies to sponsor individual meetings.
In 2001, the BeJUG (Belgium Java User Group) created Javapolis, a vendor-independent conference. Javapolis was renamed to Devoxx in 2008. Devoxx is one of the biggest independent conference for the Java community in Europe with 3300 attendees in 2011.
Research conducted by Oliveira (2005) indicates that the primary reason for participation in a JUG is education. People come to because they want to learn. Learning in a shared, free, unstructured and informal way, where interest in the search for a very specific piece of information is the main goal. What they most avoid is someone indicating a stack of books to study and/or a series of formal courses to answer their questions. Participants seek solutions to their problems, difficulties, anxieties, and to share with their peers, find clear answers, fast, direct and without formality.
In 2011, two Java User Groups were elected to the Java Community Process Executive Committee, the first time that user groups have been directly represented at the highest levels of the Java ecosystem.
In 2012, the ParisJUG (Paris Java User Group) created Devoxx France, a conference dedicated to the Java French-speaking community.
- Java User Groups (JUGs)
- Jug Profile Map
- Communities of Practice: a study of Brazilian Java User Groups (in Portuguese)
Java User Groups
- Memphis (TN, USA) Java User Group
- Twin Cities (MN, USA) Java User Group
- Atlanta (GA, USA) Java User Group
- Chennai (TN, IND) Java User Group
- Portugal Java User Group (PT.JUG)
- Users Society of Java Technology (SouJava) - Brazilian Java User Group
- Java User Group Finland
- Central Pa Java User Group
- Utah Java User Group
- Distrito Federal Java User Group (DFJUG Brazil)
- Nevada Java User Group (NJUG)
- Java Hellenic User Group (JHUG)
- Johannesburg Java User Group (Jozi JUG)
- Delhi & NCR Java User Group (DaNJUG)
- Pakistan Java User Group (pakijug)