Varas in action for Sevilla
|Full name||Javier Varas Herrera|
|Date of birth||10 September 1982|
|Place of birth||Seville, Spain|
|Height||1.82 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|2003–2004||→ San José (loan)|
|2004–2005||→ Alcalá (loan)||20||(0)|
|2012–2013||→ Celta (loan)||35||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 00:00, 27 October 2014 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Born in Seville, Andalusia, Varas arrived at Sevilla FC aged 23, after having only played amateur football in his native region (although he had been bought by the club two years earlier). He spent his first three seasons with the B-team, contributing with 13 games in the 2006–07 campaign as it was promoted to Segunda División for the first time ever, and occasionally training with the main squad.
After David Cobeño moved to Rayo Vallecano Varas became Andrés Palop's backup, making his La Liga debut on 17 January 2009 in a 1–0 home win against CD Numancia. During a full month, following an injury to the latter in October, he was again called on for starting duties, only conceding once in four matches, in the 3–1 win at VfB Stuttgart for the season's UEFA Champions League.
Under new manager Marcelino García Toral, Varas continued as a regular starter. On 22 October 2011 he put on a Man of the match performance against FC Barcelona, saving eight shots – including an injury-time penalty from Lionel Messi – in an eventual 0–0 away draw.
Varas lost his importance in the following years, after the arrival in January 2013 from Portuguese Beto. He contributed with nine appearances as Sevilla won the 2013–14 Europa League, but was an unused substitute in the decisive match itself.
- Sevilla B
- "Renato rescata un barco a la deriva" [Renato rescues drifting boat] (in Spanish). Marca. 17 January 2009. Retrieved 15 May 2014.
- "Javi Varas y las vueltas que da la vida" [Javi Varas and the unpredictability of life] (in Spanish). ABC. 23 October 2009. Retrieved 21 May 2014.
- Squillaci nets brace; ESPN Soccernet, 20 October 2009
- Barca held in dramatic fashion; ESPN Soccernet, 22 October 2011
- "¿El portero titular o el portero titular?" [Starting goalkeeper or starting goalkeeper?] (in Spanish). Diario de Sevilla. 12 March 2014. Retrieved 21 May 2014.
- "Spot-on Sevilla leave Benfica dreams in tatters". UEFA.com. 14 May 2014. Retrieved 15 May 2014.
- "Javi Varas recoge los guantes del Pucela" [Javi Varas takes the gloves of Pucela] (in Spanish). Valladolid's official website. 25 August 2014. Retrieved 30 August 2014.