Chica (left) in action for Espanyol
|Full name||Francisco Javier Chica Torres|
|Date of birth||17 May 1985|
|Place of birth||Barcelona, Spain|
|Height||1.76 m (5 ft 9 in)|
|Playing position||Full back|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 26 October 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
Francisco Javier "Javi" Chica Torres (born 17 May 1985) is a Spanish professional footballer who plays for Real Valladolid. Capable of appearing at either right or left back, his main asset is his physical strength.
Born in Barcelona, Catalonia, Chica was a product of RCD Espanyol's youth system. He made his first-team debut on 15 October 2006 in a 0–0 away draw against Villarreal CF, and played 27 La Liga games in his first year, adding ten appearances as the team went all the way to the UEFA Cup final, losing it to fellow league side Sevilla FC (he did not play in the decisive match itself).
Never an undisputed starter in the following seasons, Chica continued to be regularly used at Espanyol, featuring in an average of more than 20 matches per season as either a right or a left back.
In late May 2011, free agent Chica signed a four-year contract with Real Betis, freshly returned to the top division. He made his official debut on 27 August, starting at right defender in a 1–0 away win against Granada CF.
Chica scored his first goal as a senior on 20 April 2014, but it happened in a 1–3 loss at Rayo Vallecano, and the Andalusians also suffered relegation at the end of the campaign after ranking dead last.
- Spain U19
- Villarreal 0–0 Espanyol; ESPN Soccernet, 15 October 2006
- Chica es el primer fichaje del Betis para Primera (Chica is Betis' first signing for Primera); Marca, 24 May 2011 (Spanish)
- Rubén Castro hace justicia (Rubén Castro does justice); El País, 28 August 2011 (Spanish)
- Rayo win puts pressure on Betis; ESPN FC, 20 April 2014
- "Javi Chica, apuesta segura para el lateral derecho" [Javi Chica, safe bet for the right flank] (in Spanish). Real Valladolid. 9 July 2014. Retrieved 9 July 2014.