Paredes (right) in 2009
|Full name||Javier Paredes Arango|
|Date of birth||5 July 1982|
|Place of birth||Oviedo, Spain|
|Height||1.75 m (5 ft 9 in)|
|Playing position||Left back|
|2003–2005||Real Madrid B||67||(1)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 9 March 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
Early years / Getafe
Paredes was born in Oviedo. After starting playing football at hometown Asturias club Real Oviedo and being relegated from the second division in the 2002–03 season, he left for two additional campaigns in Real Madrid's B-side, Real Madrid Castilla, with the team in the third level.
In 2005–06 Paredes joined another Madrid outfit, Getafe CF, and made his official – and La Liga – debut on 28 August 2005, in a 2–0 away win against Real Sociedad. He appeared in only seven games that season, barred by first-choice Mariano Pernía, but would be the undisputed starter in the following after the Argentine left for Atlético de Madrid.
For the 2007–08 season Paredes signed with Aragon's Real Zaragoza, agreeing on a five-year deal. Initially backing up Juanfran, he finished as first-choice as the team eventually got relegated; he was again starter in the following campaign, with the club immediately promoting back.
Pushed by new signing Ivan Obradović, Paredes featured in just 20 league matches in 2009–10, but was still the most utilized left-back as Zaragoza retained its top division status. In the summer he was deemed surplus to requirements by manager José Aurelio Gay, being limited to training. In early September 2010, during a training session, both got involved in a serious argument that nearly evolved to a physical confrontation; subsequently the player was suspended by the club, being reinstated – and inserted in the starting XI – in November, as Gay was sacked and replaced by Mexican Javier Aguirre.
- Zaragoza snap up Paredes; UEFA.com, 26 June 2007
- Paredes se revuelve contra Gay al término del entrenamiento (Paredes confronts Gay at the end of training); El Periódico de Aragón, 3 September 2010 (Spanish)
- El Real Zaragoza abre un expediente disciplinario a Javier Paredes (Zaragoza opens disciplinary case to Paredes); El Periódico de Aragón, 3 September 2010 (Spanish)
- Javier Paredes: "Veo la defensa bien ajustada, este Zaragoza es de garantías" (Javier Paredes: "I see a well-adjusted defense, this Zaragoza offers assurance"); El Periódico de Aragón, 10 September 2012 (Spanish)
- Loovens, otra baja para la defensa en el Camp Nou (Loovens, another defensive casualty in Camp Nou); Terra, 16 November 2012 (Spanish)
- Real Zaragoza official profile (Spanish)
- BDFutbol profile
- Futbolme profile (Spanish)
- Transfermarkt profile