Chicago White Sox – No. 41
October 31, 1985 |
|May 15, 2011 for the Los Angeles Dodgers|
(through April 21, 2015)
|Earned run average||2.87|
Luis Javier Guerra (born October 31, 1985) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Chicago White Sox of Major League Baseball (MLB). He previously played in MLB for the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Los Angeles Dodgers
In the Dodgers system he pitched for the Columbus Catfish in 2005, Ogden Raptors in 2006, Inland Empire 66ers of San Bernardino from 2007–2008 and split 2009 between the Great Lakes Loons and the Chattanooga Lookouts. He was selected to the Midwest League Mid-season All-Star team in 2009 and participated in the Arizona Fall League Rising Stars game. In 2010 with Chattanooga he had a 2.33 ERA in 28 games, despite missing a portion of the season due to injury. Following the season, he played for the Phoenix Desert Dogs in the Arizona Fall League. He returned to Chattanooga to start 2011.
Guerra was called up to the Dodgers on May 15, 2011 and made his debut in the ninth inning against the Arizona Diamondbacks, working a scoreless inning. On May 24 he was credited with his first career save by pitching a scoreless ninth inning against the Houston Astros. On June 4 he earned his first win by pitching the tenth inning and part of the eleventh, allowing one run in an 11-8 victory against the Cincinnati Reds; he also batted for himself and drew a base on balls. With Jonathan Broxton out for the year with injuries, Guerra became the Dodgers closer for most of the season. He finished with a 2-2 record, 2.31 ERA and 21 saves.
Guerra began 2012 as the Dodgers closer and picked up saves in his first five chances and seven of his first eight, but then he went through a period where he blew two of his next three opportunities and also pitched poorly in some non-save appearances. As a result, he was dropped from the closer role in favor of Kenley Jansen. He was later demoted to the AAA Albuquerque Isotopes in August. Guerra rejoined the Dodgers when rosters expanded in September, but suffered a strained oblique and was placed on the disabled list for the remainder of the season. Overall, he appeared in 45 games for the Dodgers in 2012, with a 2-3 record, 2.60 ERA and 8 saves.
On November 2, Guerra underwent arthroscopic right shoulder surgery, his third different surgery in 2012. He returned in time for spring training, but his injury kept him from participating in the 2013 World Baseball Classic. He also suffered a groin strain during spring training and the setback led to him falling behind the other relievers and he was optioned to Albuquerque to start the season. He spent the bulk of the season there, appearing in 27 games (including 4 as a starter) and was 0-4 with a 3.66 ERA and 12 saves. He also appeared in 9 games with the Dodgers in May and had an ERA of 6.75.
Guerra was designated for assignment by the Dodgers on March 16, 2014 and removed from the 40-man roster.
Chicago White Sox
Guerra mostly throws a hard four-seam fastball (93–96 mph) and cutter (88–91), although he occasionally mixes in a curveball (78–80). He has even sprinkled in a small handful of sliders, changeups, and splitters — all in the mid-80s range.
- Hernandez, Dylan (May 7, 2012). "Kenley Jansen replacing Javy Guerra as Dodgers closer". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved May 23, 2012.
- Steve Dilbeck (August 21, 2012). "Dodgers activate Rubby De La Rosa, send down Javy Guerra". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved August 27, 2013.
- Steve Dilbeck (September 4, 2012). "Dodgers place Javy Guerra on DL, call back Josh Wall". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved August 27, 2013.
- Dilbeck, Steve (November 2, 2012). "Mr. Rehab, Javy Guerra, has arthroscopic shoulder surgery". Los Angeles Times.
- Baxter, Kevin (March 7, 2013). "Some on Mexico's WBC team complain about Arizona police treatment". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved November 9, 2014.
- Gurnick, Ken (March 2, 2013). "Guerra joins Team Mexico for Classic". MLB.com. Retrieved November 9, 2014.
- "Guerra sent to Minors as Dodgers trim roster". MLB.com. March 17, 2013. Retrieved August 27, 2013.
- Dilbeck, Steve (May 31, 2013). "Dodgers call up veteran reliever Peter Moylan, demote Javy Guerra". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved November 9, 2014.
- Dilbeck, Steve (March 16, 2014). "Dodgers waive Javy Guerra as they name 30-man roster for Sydney". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved November 9, 2014.
- Dilbeck, Steve (March 26, 2014). "Dodgers lose Javy Guerra and Seth Rosin on waiver claims". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved November 9, 2014.
- "White Sox claim RHP Guerra on waivers from Dodgers". Associated Press. ESPN.com. March 26, 2014. Retrieved March 26, 2014.
- Kane, Colleen (March 28, 2014). "Sox outright Guerra to Triple-A Charlotte". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved November 9, 2014.
- Alexander, Jackson (May 20, 2014). "Lindstrom lands on DL with ankle issue". MLB.com. Retrieved November 9, 2014.
- "Brooks Baseball · Home of the PitchFX Tool - Player Card: Javy Guerra". Brooks Baseball. Retrieved May 23, 2012.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- His Blog about his 2009 minor league season