Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Kakinada
|University College of Engineering, Kakinada|
|Academic affiliation||Carnegie Mellon University Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Kakinada|
|Former names||College of engineering vizagapatman|
|Affiliations||UGC, NAAC, AIU, Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, Kakinada (JNTU-K)|
College of Military Engineering (CME) is a premier technical and tactical training institution of the Indian Army Corps of Engineers of the Indian Army, this includes Combat Engineers, Military Engineering Service, Border Roads Organisation and Survey.
The college it is situated at JNTU Kakinada Campus, Pithapuram Road in Kakinada, of the East Godavari district district, Andhra Pradesh, in the large area of 110 acres in Kakinada, north of the indian state of Andhra Pradesh . Established in 1946, as the 'The College of Engineering, Vizagpatnam' (cev) at the then Composite Madras Presidency, apart from imparting training to engineering, management, sciences, humanities and languages languages in Andhra Pradesh and those from friendly states, the college also plays an advisory role to the ' Department of Technical Education Government of Andhra Pradesh ' ,'andhra Pradesh State Council of Higher Education', State Board of Technical Education and Training and also conducts ECET For admisson for Diploma Holders and for B.Sc.(Mathematics) Degree Holders in accordance with G.O.Ms.No:24 , G.O.Ms.No:25, dated:28.06.2006 and G.O.Ms.No:19 or Diploma Holders and G.O.Ms.No.57 & G.O.Ms.No58(EC2) dated:12.05.2008 . , and college is involved in research projects and experimentation.
Prior its establishment, the officers of Corps of Engineers were trained at the Royal School of Military Engineering, United Kingdom along with the Corps of Royal Engineers. Between 1934 to 1943 they received training at Thompson College of Engineering, Roorkee, now IIT Roorkee.
During the World War II, the dedicated school to impart combat engineering training to officers was set up at Roorkee, the School of Military Engineering (SME) in 1943, though it continued to depend on Thomason College for technical training, subsequently post-independence in 1948, SME moved to Dapodi in Pune, its present location. In November 1951, the SME was upgraded to the status of a college, with it degree engineering courses recognised by the Institution of Engineers.
Work on permanent construction began in 1948 and most of the accommodation was completed by 1958. The second phase of expansion took place after 1963 necessitated by the expansion of the Indian Army.
- Faculty of Civil Engineering,
- Faculty of Electrical and Mechanical Engineering
- Diploma wing (Courses for subordinates)
CME offers training for personnel, both Officers and Personnel Below Officers Rank (PBOR) of the Corps of Engineers, other arms & services, Navy, Air Force, Para-Military forces, Police and also civilians. Its students also include soldiers from friendly foreign countries like the Maldives, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and Nepal. The college is affiliated to Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) for its B.Tech and M.Tech degrees. And its the graduate and post graduate courses are recognized by The 'All India Council for Technical Education' (AICTE) and University of Pune.
- Courses for Engineering Officers for 3 years duration;
- For Corps of EME Officers first 3 semesters of B.Tech degree for 1½ years;
- B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering
- For Corps of Signal Officers first 3 semesters of B.Tech degree for 1½ years;
- B.Tech in Communication Engineering
- Two years Diploma courses for subordinate staff in Electrical, Civil and Draughtsman category.
2 months adp (f)
Today, the campus situated on the banks of Mula river, is spread over 3,600 acres (15 km2) and with a population of 11,000, and evolved into a small township. Access is available only to military personnel and civilians working or living inside CME. A gate pass (identification) is required to enter the CME premises.
Notable places in CME
- The CME lake - A lakeside, also includes a restricted fishing area
- Sarvatra Bir- A bird sanctuary by the CME lake
- Harkirat Singh Theatre - An open air theatre which screens Hollywood and Bollywood movies.
- CME shopping complex - A shopping complex for CME residents. Almost all facilities exist inside the campus.
- CME Information Technology Wing- IT learning and development center,
- IT courses held for Army Engineering Groups.Latest software are being developed here.
- Saravatra Hall - A concert hall where important events are staged, including school events
- Officers Institute- An institute for all to Officers. It has a bar, a restaurant and a dance floor.
- HQ Mess Corps of Engineers
- Corps Equipment Museum
- Corps of Engineers Archives.
- CME Cyber Cafe - A cyber cafe providing internet facilities, mainly to the YOs (Young Officers), children and teenagers.
- CTW (Cadets Training Wing) - An institute that provides proper army training to new cadets.
Schools in CME
- Kendriya Vidyalaya (KV CME)- CBSE education school
- Holloway School - Raised where the former KV was, a school offering Maharashtra State Board education.
- Regimental School - Another school offering Maharashtra State Board education.
- "HQ CME". wikimapia.
- "CME marks 50 eventful years". The Indian Express. 15 September 1998.
- Kulkarni, Prasad (3 May 2009). "CME conducts grand passing out parade". The Times of India.
- "Foreign officers from National Defence College visit CME".
- "Faculties and Wings". Indian Army.
- "Pune Notes: Graduation ceremony". The Indian Express. 24 October 1998.
- "CME awards diplomas". The Indian Express. 25 April 2009.
- "RECOGNISED INSTITUTIONS (RI): PUNE DISTRICT (PN)". University of Pune.
- Free Dictionary (2008-02-11). "CME, Pune". Retrieved 2008-02-11.
- College of Military Engineering, Pune webpage at Indian Army website
- College of Military Engineering, Pune at Bharat Rakshak