Jay M. Gould
Jay Martin Gould, who died in September 2005, was a statistician and epidemiologist who cofounded the Radiation and Public Health Project in 1989. It was Dr. Gould's contention that radiation from nuclear power plants was causing high rates of cancer in surrounding neighborhoods. For more than two decades, Dr. Gould routinely warned that low levels of radiation from nuclear reactors were far more dangerous than commonly believed. But his research was criticized by many in the scientific community as being alarmist.
Dr. Gould was born in Chicago in 1915 and raised in New York. He earned his bachelor's degree from Brooklyn College and his doctorate from Columbia University. He was originally an economist before becoming interested in radiation.
Jay M. Gould's publications
The following is a partial list of articles authored or co-authored by Jay Martin Gould.
- Joseph J. Mangano, Jay M. Gould, Ernest J. Sternglass, Janette D. Sherman and William McDonnell (2003). "An unexpected rise in strontium-90 in US deciduous teeth in the 1990s".The Science of The Total Environment, Volume 317, Issues 1-3, 30 December 2003, Pages 37–51. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S004896970300439X]
The following is a partial list of books authored or co-authored by Jay Martin Gould. Where possible, the date indicated in parentheses is the date of the first edition.
- Gould, Jay M. & Goldman, Benjamin A. (1990). With Kate Millpointer. Deadly Deceit: Low-Level Radiation, High-Level Cover-Up, New York: Four Walls Eight Windows, ISBN 0-941423-35-2, 9780941423359 Check
|isbn=value (help) . 222 pages. Second edition: 1991, xiv + 266 pages. ISBN 0-941423-35-2, ISBN 0-941423-56-5. Amazon indicates a 1993 edition (3rd?) of 300 pages. A page devoted to the co-author Benjamin A. Goldman, indicates that there exist editions of this title in German (1991), Russian (1993) and Japanese (1994). The current German-language Wikipedia article on Jay M. Gould indicates the date of the German-language publication as 1996 under the title Tödliche Täuschung Radioaktivität.
- Gould, Jay M. (1996). The Enemy Within: The High Cost of Living Near Nuclear Reactors, New York: Four Walls Eight Windows, ISBN 1-56858-066-5, 978-1568580661 Check
|isbn=value (help) [The enemy within: the high cost of living near nuclear reactors : breast cancer, AIDS, low birthweights, and other radiation-induced immune deficiency effects]. 346 pages.
- Jay M. Gould Dies at 90; Warned of A-Plant Risks
- The Enemy Within: The High Cost of Living Near Nuclear Reactors (Book Review)
- The Enemy Within: The High Cost of Living Near Nuclear Reactors. (book reviews)
- Ben Goldman, Ben Goldman Artist, "About me".
- Jay M. Gould (auf Deutsch) de:Jay M. Gould), consulted Aug. 24, 2011.