Jay R. Moyer
|Jay R. Moyer|
|Member of the Pennsylvania House of Representatives
from the 70th district
January 2, 2007 – November 24, 2008
|Preceded by||John W. Fichter|
|Succeeded by||Matthew D. Bradford|
|Residence||Lower Salford Township, Pennsylvania|
|Alma mater||Syracuse University|
|Service/branch||United States Air Force|
|Years of service||1966 — 1970|
Moyer served as a Township Supervisor in Lower Salford Township until 1989 when he was appointed as acting Treasurer of Montgomery County, Pennsylvania to fill the vacancy left when Floriana Bloss joined the County Board of Commissioners. Moyer was re-elected to full terms in 1991 and 1995.
After leaving the treasurer's post in 2000, Moyer went on to serve under Governor Tom Ridge as the southeast regional director of the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue and deputy secretary of the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection. Prior to his election, Moyer was the regional representative for the deputy secretary of the United States Department of Education.
In 2006, Moyer ran for the House seat being vacated by retiring Rep. John Fichter. He defeated Philip Heilman in the Republican primary election and won a close 103-vote victory in the general election over Democrat Netta Young Hughes.
He was defeated for re-election in the 2008 general election.
Moyer served in the United States Air Force from 1966–1970, achieving the rank of sergeant. He went on to graduate from Syracuse University and attended graduate school at Temple University. Moyer was also a Vice President of his family's business, Moyer Electric. He resides in Lower Salford Township with his wife. They have one grown daughter, Christine, a reporter who lives in the Chicago area.
- "SESSION OF 2007 191ST OF THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY No. 1". LEGISLATIVE JOURNAL. Pennsylvania House of Representatives. 2007-01-02. Retrieved 2009-01-09.
- "2006 General Election - Representative in the General Assembly". Commonwealth of PA - Elections Information. Pennsylvania Department of State. 2004. Retrieved 2009-01-09.
- "Jay Moyer Campaign Biography". ElectMoyer.com. Friends of Jay Moyer. 2008. Archived from the original on 2008-11-15. Retrieved 2008-11-15.
- "Jay Moyer Profile". RepMoyer.com. Pennsylvania House Republican Caucus. 2008. Archived from the original on 2008-11-15. Retrieved 2008-11-15.
- "Representative Jay R. Moyer (PA)". Project Vote Smart. Project Vote Smart. 2008. Archived from the original on 2008-11-17. Retrieved 2009-01-09.