Jay Parini (born April 2, 1948) is an American writer and academic. He is known for novels and poetry, biography and criticism.
He was born in Pittston, Pennsylvania, and brought up in Scranton, Pennsylvania. He graduated from Lafayette College in 1970 and was awarded a doctorate by the University of St. Andrews in 1975. He taught at Dartmouth College from 1975 to 1982, and has taught since 1982 at Middlebury College, where he is the D.E. Axinn Professor of English and Creative Writing. He is a member of the Board of Visitors of Ralston College, a liberal arts college in Savannah that was founded in February, 2010. He is married to the writer and psychologist Devon Jersild; they have three sons.
Parini is a regular contributor to various journals and newspapers, including The Chronicle of Higher Education and The Guardian (U.K.). His poems have appeared in a wide variety of magazines, including The Atlantic, The New Yorker, and Poetry.
Parini was awarded a Guggenheim Fellowship in 1993. He was Fowler Hamilton Fellow at Christ Church, Oxford, in 1993–1994. He was a fellow of the Institute for Advanced Studies at the University of London in 2005–2006.
- Singing in Time (1972) poems
- Theodore Roethke, an American Romantic (1979) criticism
- The Love Run (1980) novel
- Anthracite Country (1982) poems
- Bread Loaf Anthology of Contemporary American Poetry (1985) editor with Robert Pack and Sydney Lea
- The Patch Boys (1986) novel
- An Invitation to Poetry (1987)
- The Bread Loaf Anthology of Contemporary American Short Stories (1987) editor with Robert Pack
- A Vermont Christmas (1988)
- Town Life (1988) poems
- The Bread Loaf Anthology of Contemporary American Essays (1989) editor with Robert Pack
- The Last Station: A Novel of Tolstoy's Last Year (1990)
- Richard Eberhart, New and Selected Poems 1930–1990 (1990) editor
- Writers On Writing (1991) with Robert Pack
- Bay of Arrows (1992) novel
- Gore Vidal: Writer Against the Grain (1992) editor
- Poems for a Small Planet: Contemporary American Nature Poetry (1993) editor with Robert Pack
- Columbia History of American Poetry (1994), editor
- Columbia Anthology of American Poetry (1995), editor
- John Steinbeck (1995) biography
- American Identities: Contemporary Multicultural Voices (1996) editor with Robert Pack
- Benjamin's Crossing (1996) novel
- Touchstones : American Poets on a Favorite Poem (1996) editor with Robert Pack
- Some Necessary Angels: Essays on Literature and Politics (1997) essays
- Beyond "The Godfather" : Italian American Writers on the Real Italian American Experience (1997) editor with A. Kenneth Ciongoli
- House of Days (1998) poems
- The Norton Book of American Autobiography (1998) editor
- Introspections : American Poets on One of Their Own Poems (1998) editor with Robert Pack
- Robert Frost: A Life (1999)
- American Writers (2000) editor, yearly volumes
- American Writers Classics I (2002), II (2004)
- The Apprentice Lover (2002) novel
- British Writers (2002) editor, yearly
- Contemporary Poetry Of New England (2002) editor with Robert Pack
- Passage to Liberty: The Story of Italian Immigration and the Rebirth of America (2002) with A. Kenneth Ciongoli
- British Writers Classics (2003) editor
- The Oxford Encyclopedia of American Literature (2004) editor
- World Writers in English (2003) editor
- Anthony Quinn's Eye (2004) with Donald Kuspit and Tom Roberts
- One Matchless Time: A Life of William Faulkner (2004)
- The Art of Teaching (2005)
- The Art of Subtraction: New and Selected Poems (2005) poems
- The Wadsworth Anthology of Poetry (2005), editor
- Why Poetry Matters (2008), criticism
- Promised Land: Thirteen Books that Changed America (2008), criticism
- The Passages of H.M. (2010), novel about Herman Melville
- Jay Parini (2010-03-24). "Jay Parini from HarperCollins Publishers". Harpercollins.com. Retrieved 2012-11-13.
- [dead link]
- "Collegium Ralstonianum apud Savannenses - Home". Ralston.ac. Retrieved 2012-11-13.
- "The Last Station (2009)". IMDb.com. Retrieved 2012-11-13.
- Noted in The Last Station: A Novel of Tolstoy's Last Year, Harper Collins (UK), 1990, ISBN 0-00-223910-8
- Jay Parini: Vermont offers cozy sense of community for culture
- Jay Parini's Listing in the Internet Movie Database
- Guardian Profile of Jay Parini
- Bookslut interview with Jay Parini
- Jay Parini's Middlebury College Profile
- Audio: Jay Parini reads "Precepts" from The Word Exchange: Anglo-Saxon Poems in Translation
- Booknotes interview with Parini on Robert Frost: A Life, September 12, 1999.