Pharoah at the 2014 Toronto International Film Festival
|Born||Jared Antonio Farrow
October 14, 1987
Chesapeake, Virginia, U.S.
|Occupation||Actor, Comedian, Rapper, Voice actor|
Jared Antonio Farrow (born October 14, 1987), better known by his stage name Jay Pharoah, is an American actor, stand-up comedian, impressionist, rapper, and voice actor. He joined the cast of NBC's Saturday Night Live in 2010, for its thirty-sixth season. In 2015, he was ranked the 55th greatest Saturday Night Live cast member by Rolling Stone magazine.
Pharoah was born in Chesapeake, Virginia. He and his twin brother were premature, and his brother died at birth.
Pharoah began doing impersonations at age 6 and cites Gilbert Gottfried's character in Aladdin, Iago, as his first voice, explaining, "My father put me in a talent competition a couple of months later, and out of the whole thing I got fifth place."
Pharoah has been performing stand-up comedy in community theaters and at comedy clubs in Virginia since he was 15. He at one point toured with Corey Holcomb and Charlie Murphy. He became known for his many celebrity impressions, including Barack Obama, Will Smith, Jay-Z, 50 Cent, Eddie Murphy, Charlie Murphy, Chris Rock, Kanye West, Stephen A. Smith and Denzel Washington.
Pharoah became an internet phenomenon when his impersonation of Barack Obama became widely seen on YouTube. In early 2010, Pharoah appeared in a series of segments that aired on 106 & Park in promotion for the 2010 BET Awards, where his character had to deliver an important package for television personalities Rocsi and Terrence J.
2010–present: Saturday Night Live
In 2010, Pharoah was hired by Saturday Night Live as a featured player for the show's 36th season. As of September 2014, he is the second-youngest male member of the current cast at age 26 (at the same age, but a few months younger, Aidy Bryant is the youngest female cast member while newcomer Pete Davidson is the youngest male member, born in 1993 and aged 21) and the second youngest black male cast member after Eddie Murphy (who was only 19 when he was hired in 1980).
Pharoah debuted on Saturday Night Live on September 25, 2010 and is regarded by Rob Moynihan of TV Guide as the "breakout player" for that season, for his seemingly effortless impersonations of Jay-Z, Will Smith, Eddie Murphy, Lil Wayne, and Denzel Washington. He debuted his SNL impersonation of Barack Obama in the 38th season premiere on September 15, 2012, replacing Fred Armisen. Rolling Stone magazine described him as the "Jimmy Fallon of 2 Chainz impressions."
Pharoah appeared in the independent film Lola Versus, released by Fox Searchlight Pictures in June 2012. In 2014, he had a small role in the buddy cop film Ride Along starring Ice Cube and Kevin Hart, and will appear in the upcoming independent film Intramural, a sport comedy starring fellow SNL cast members Beck Bennett and Kate McKinnon.
Notable Recurring Characters
- Ronny Williams (a panel member of the pro-Obama political roundtable show How's He Doing?)
- MC George Castanza (from the "Kickspit Underground Rock Festival" sketches)
- Principal Daniel Frye (Principal of Booker T. Washington High, who always interrupts dances, assemblies, and school-run events with news of disasters and pranks happening. Refers to delinquent students as "jive-time turkeys." Is based on Jay Pharoah's actual high school principal)
Notable Celebrity Impressions on SNL
- Pharrell Williams
- Jamie Foxx
- Barkhad Abdi
- Will Smith
- Richard Sherman
- Eddie Murphy
- Lil Wayne
- Denzel Washington
- Shaquille O'Neal
- Tracy Morgan
- Peter Dinklage
- Chris Rock
- Barack Obama (replacing Fred Armisen)
- Dennis Rodman
- Kanye West
- Michael Strahan
- Stephen A. Smith
- Katt Williams
- Christopher Walken
- 2 Chainz
- "Virginia native Jay Pharoah snags cast spot on "Saturday Night Live"; will he be their new Obama? Pharoah also raps". Washington Post. September 8, 2010. Retrieved 2010-09-27.
- Moynihan, Rob. "SNL's Fab Four", TV Guide, March 7, 2011, Pages 44-45
- The Virginian-Pilot© June 12, 2014 (2014-06-12). "After 27 years, Indian River Principal James Frye retires". HamptonRoads.com. Retrieved 2014-11-11.
- The Virginian-Pilot© December 14, 2010 (2010-12-14). "Jay Pharoah pays tribute to his Chesapeake principal on 'SNL'". HamptonRoads.com. Retrieved 2012-01-15.
- Sources conflict on when he started standup. The Washington Post source indicates he started at 15.
- "NBC'S 'SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE' PREMIERES SEPTEMBER 25 WITH SNL ALUM AMY POEHLER & CHART-TOPPING MUSICAL GUEST KATY PERRY". Nbcuniversal.presscentre.com. 2010-09-07. Retrieved 2012-01-15.
- "Inbox". TV Guide. October 8, 2012.
- Luippold, Ross (2013-07-24). "Kate McKinnon, Jay Pharoah Shooting Indie 'Intramural' In Austin This Summer". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 2014-03-10.