Roach at the 2013 Peabody Awards
||Matthew Jay Roach
June 14, 1957
Albuquerque, New Mexico, U.S.
||M. Jay Roach
||Film director, film producer and screenwriter
(1993–present; 2 children)
Matthew Jay Roach (born June 14, 1957) is an American film director, producer and screenwriter, best known for directing the Austin Powers films and Meet the Parents.
Life and career
Roach was born and raised in Albuquerque, New Mexico, where his father was a military worker. He graduated from Eldorado High School in 1975. He received a BA in economics from Stanford University in 1980 and later earned an M.F.A. in film production from the University of Southern California in 1986.
His directing credits include the Emmy-winning HBO film Recount, which earned Roach two Emmy Awards, for Outstanding Directing for a Miniseries, Movie or a Dramatic Special and Outstanding Made for Television Movie in addition to a DGA Award. He also directed the HBO film Game Change about the 2008 McCain/Palin campaign, which premiered March 2012 as one of the most watched films in HBO history. The film also gave him his third and fourth win Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Directing for a Miniseries, Movie or a Dramatic Special & Outstanding Miniseries or Movie, as well as a Golden Globe and Peabody Award. His other directing credits include Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery, Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me, Austin Powers in Goldmember, Meet the Parents, Meet the Fockers and Mystery, Alaska.
Roach is married to Susanna Hoffs of The Bangles, with whom he has two sons. Roach was raised a Southern Baptist, and converted to Judaism before marrying Hoffs.
- ^ Stanford Magazine, July/Aug 2007
- ^ a b Pfefferman, Naomi (July 20, 2010). "'Schmucks' Director Redefines the Term". The Jewish Journal of Greater L.A. Retrieved July 21, 2010.
- ^ Lane, Charlotte Balcomb (June 11, 1999). "Native son directs 'Austin Powers'". Albuquerque Journal. p. B1.
- ^ Notable Alumni, USC School of Cinematic Arts.
- ^ Lazarus, Catie (June 5, 2013). "Talking to Jay Roach About 'Austin Powers', 'Meet the Parents', and Directing Big-Budget Comedies". splitsider.com. Retrieved September 25, 2014.
||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jay Roach.