|Spouse(s)||Renee Melanie Klock|
|Parents||Iris Severino (f)
James Thompson Severino (m)
Jay Severin (born James Thompson Severino III) is an American political talk radio personality. Severin worked in 2011 and 2012 as an afternoon talk host at Boston's WXKS-AM Talk 1200. He has been hired by Glenn Beck's TheBlaze Radio Network, an online service that started in late September 2012.
Severin's mother was a writer and his father was a direct mail advertising entrepreneur. He spent at least a portion of his childhood and teen years in Poughkeepsie, New York and later studied at Boston University.
Severin worked in New York City for political consultant David Garth. In 1979, Severin started Severin Aviles Associates to direct strategy and produce media for Republican candidates including campaigns for the U.S. House. U.S. Senate, Governor, and President (George H.W. Bush and Pat Buchanan's 1996 Presidential campaign).
Filling in for Gene Burns starting in October 1994, Severin began work as a talk show host on WOR, and worked there during the afternoon drive time slot until June 1996 when he was replaced by Bob Grant. Severin accepted a late-night talk show position on WRKO which lasted from April to July 1999.
In September 2005, CBS Radio announced that Severin would host a show for select Infinity Broadcasting stations called "Jay Severin Has Issues". Severin returned to WTKK on 9 October 2006, after nine months in syndication.
Controversies and termination from WTKK
In April 2004, when a caller said United States citizens should "befriend Muslims living in the United States," Severin replied, "the vast majority" of those Muslims "... are not loyal to the United States and are ready, when the time comes, to take over this country." Severin added, "You think we should befriend them. I think we should kill them." On 25 April 2004, Severin said his comments were directed at terrorists, not Muslims in general, and stated, "I certainly regret any discomfort that may have been caused by the misunderstanding of my remarks." The Council for American Islamic Relations (CAIR) unsuccessfully called for Severin's dismissal.
On 30 April 2009, Severin said Mexicans were "the world's lowest of primitives," and said, "It's millions of leeches from a primitive country come here to leech off you and, with it, they are ruining the schools, the hospitals, and a lot of life in America." Severin was suspended until 3 June 2009, at which time he apologized by saying (in part), "My remarks were hurtful, unkind and wrong. For these remarks and for failing to meet the standards you are right to expect of me, I am sincerely sorry."
In March 2011, Severin said, "I slept with virtually every young college girl I hired to be an intern or an employee for my firm." Following this statement, Severin was fired from WTKK. Greater Media said, "Severin was let go because he did not maintain an appropriate level of civility and adhere to a standard that respects our listeners and the public at large....it had become clear at several points in the past two years that Jay was either unwilling or unable to maintain our standards on the air. It's for that reason we have made the decision to end our relationship."
WXKS Talk1200 AM
Severin returned to Boston-area radio on August 18, 2011 on WXKS Talk1200 AM, which had converted from a Spanish-language station to conservative talk. He still delivered pointed commentary on politics and current events but avoided controversies such as those in the years on WTKK.
On August 7, 2012, as part of the format change to Comedy 1200 effected on August 13, Severin was dropped from the schedule. The move also affected morning talk host Jeff Katz, as well as nationally syndicated host Rush Limbaugh, who returned to WRKO.
Starting in October 2012 Severin began broadcasting with TheBlaze Radio network. Run by Glenn Beck, the network is available through online streaming, iHeartRadio, and Dish Network satellite television.
Severin's first marriage was to Kathleen Cooney, one of his partners in the Severin-Aviles consulting firm.
Philosophical and political views
Severin describes himself as a "radical libertarian, a libertine." Within his capacity as a conservative talk show host, pundit, and while on air, Severin has described Hillary Rodham Clinton as "the devil" and Barack Obama as a "domestic enemy of the [U.S.] Constitution".
- "Renee Klock, James Severin 3d". The New York Times. May 18, 1997. Retrieved May 6, 2010.
- "Jay Severin Signs With TheBlaze Radio Network". Radio Ink. Retrieved 2014-07-24.
- NYT 18 May 97
- Boston Globe 30 Apr 09 WTKK-FM suspends Severin for derogatory comments about Mexicans
- NYT 07 Dec 81
- New York Magazine, 12 Nov 84 p12
- Mike Bird, campaign for CO Governor
- New York Magazine 23 Sept 85 p9 "Bush Group Signs Garth Vets"
- Inside Radio: Ties Needn’t Be Severed. May 29, 2006.
- WOR Radio Network "About"
- NY Daily News 21 Dec 95 "Politics Has Severin Percolating On Wor"
- Boston Radio 27 Mar 99
- Boston Radio 27 Jul 99
- Boston Radio
- CBS Radio
- Boston Herald Archives 09 Oct 06 p.8
- Boston Globe 05 May 2004 Scott Lehigh article
- Boston Globe 01 May 09 "Severin suspended for comments about Mexican immigrants"
- Boston Herald 03 Jun 09 "Jay Severin admits Mexican cracks wrong"
- Video on YouTube
- U.K. Daily Mail 07 Apr 11
- Boston Globe 06 Apr 11 "Jay Severin fired by WTKK-FM"
- Boston Herald 19 Aug 2011 "Jay Severin airs out his dirty laundry"
- "Severin, Katz reportedly get boot from Talk 1200". 2012-08-07. Retrieved 2012-08-07.
- TheBlaze press release
- NYT 07 Sep 93
- Boston Globe 12 Nov 2006
- Boston Globe: Screamin' Jay. March 21, 2001.
- The Situation With Tucker Carlson, MSNBC. June 27, 2005.
- WTKK: The Jay Severin Show, June 23, 2010.
- Radiomag Online 21 Sep 04