Jay van Berlo
|Jay van Berlo|
|Full name||Jay van Berlo|
|Date of birth||18 September 1988|
|Original team||West Perth (WAFL)|
|Draft||#62, 2009 Rookie Draft, Fremantle
#112 (RP), 2010 National Draft, Fremantle
|Height/Weight||186cm / 83kg|
1 Playing statistics correct to end of 2012 season.
Jay van Berlo (born 18 September 1988) is an Australian rules footballer, who formerly played for the Fremantle Football Club in the Australian Football League (AFL). He currently plays for the West Perth Football Club in the West Australian Football League (WAFL).
Originally from the Whitfords Junior Football Club, he made his WAFL league debut for West Perth in mid-2007. He had shoulder surgery prior to the 2008 season, after which he played in every game and was awarded the 2008 Breckler Medal as West Perth's best and fairest player.
After missing the first half of the season due to a stress fracture injury, he returned to West Perth for two reserves and two senior matches before he was elevated to Fremantle's senior list as a nominated rookie. He made his AFL debut for Fremantle in the Round 17 Western Derby at Subiaco Oval against West Coast, the eleventh player to make their debut for Fremantle in 2009 and the 39th player used. Although he has mainly played as a defensive midfielder for West Perth, he played as a forward for Fremantle and kicked two goals, including one in the final minutes of the game which gave Fremantle the lead.
He kicked a career-high four goals in Fremantle's 7-point win over the Western Bulldogs in round 5 of the 2011 season.
At the conclusion of Fremantle's 2012 season, van Berlo was delisted by Fremantle. The announcement was made on 18 September, his 24th birthday.
- Luke Morfesse (23 July 2009); Van Berlo 11th debutant for Fremantle
- Pike, Chris (5 October 2008); WAFL best and fairest winners; PerthNow
- AFL Pre-season and Rookie Drafts; Realfooty
- Hope, Shayne (25 June 2009) Dockers rookie van Berlo back in the frame
- Greg Denham (23 July 2009); Injury crisis leaves Fremantle Dockers reeling; The Australian
- Clarke, Tim (25 July 2009) Freo knocks off Eagles in tight finish; The Age
- Fremantle Dockers pinch Anzac Day thriller over Western Bulldogs
- Quayle, Emma (17 December 2008); Former Hawk gets second chance
- van Berlo first to go in Freo cull