|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2012)|
|Jayant Gourish Kaikini|
|Born||23 january, 1955
Gokarna, Karwar, Uttar Kannada, Karnataka
|Notable award(s)||Karnataka Sahitya Academy award|
Dr.Jayant Kaikini was born in Gokarna in a Konkani Chitrapur Saraswat Brahmin family. His father, Gourish Kaikini, a schoolteacher, was a Kannada littérateur and mother Shanta, a social worker. After a Masters in Biochemistry from Karnataka University, Dharwad, he moved to Mumbai where he worked as a chemist for many years. He now lives in Bangalore with his wife Smita and two children, Srajana (daughter) who is an Odissi dancer and architect, and Ritwik (son). Apart from Kannada Jayant is fluent in Konkani (his mother tongue), Marathi, Hindi and English. He is a close family friend of another famous personality Professor Narayan Hosmane hailing from Gokarna who joined Jayant Kaikini in the making of a Kannada film "Ramya Chaitra Kaala" that was directed by Sunil Kumar Desai.
Dr.Jayant Kaikini is regarded as one of the most significant of the younger writers in Kannada today. He is a writer of short stories, film scripts and poetry, and is based in Bangalore. His poetry is characterised by subtle imagism, a minute documentation of the seemingly commonplace, a colloquial idiom and a conscientious refusal to engage in any poeticising. He has so far published six anthologies of short stories, four books of poetry, three plays and a collection of essays.
In an introduction to Dots and Lines, an English translation of Kaikini’s short stories, critic C.N. Ramachandran writes, “To understand Jayant’s works, we have to situate him in the literary context of the last two decades of the 20th century. During that period, there arose a group of writers who consciously differed from both the earlier Modernist writers (called Navya in Kannada) and those contemporaneous to them, the Writers of Protest (called Bandaya in Kannada) and Dalit writers. They did not subscribe to any particular philosophical or political system of thinking – be it Existentialism of the Modernists or the Leftist ideologies of the Dalit and Protest writers. On the other hand, what they wished to do was to select precise and authentic details of daily life and organise them in such a way as to culminate in a particular experience . . . Generally, their style was comic-ironic; and the language they used was the spoken language of day-to-day life. They were neither idealists nor cynics; they just wished to observe the life around them – generally mediocre – to register all the fleeting details that marked an ordinary man’s daily routine, and lead up to an experience rich in connotations. Jayant was a major figure in this group of writers who, loosely, can be called ‘post-modernist’.”
Dr.Jayant Kaikini started writing lyrics to film songs beginning from movie Chigurida Kanasu. He is the credited with revolutionizing the image of Kannada film songs, with the classic touch of literature and beautiful imagery. Films like Mungaaru Male, Gaalipata, Milana etc. have some touching and memorable songs with lyrics penned by him.
He was hosting a TV Show "Rasa Rushige Namaskara" in Etv Kannada which a biography on Rashtrakavi Kuvempu. This show was very popular with a particular section of audience. He continued it with other series' such as "Kadala Theerada Bharghava",..etc.Lately he was seen judging the reality show "Yede tumbi Haaduvenu" along with the legendary singer S.P.Balasubrahmanyam and famous Kannada music director and lyricist naada brahma Hamsalekha.
Kaikini received the Karnataka Sahitya Academy award for his first poetry collection at the age of nineteen in 1974. He received the same award again in 1982, 1989 and 1996 for his short story collections. He has been awarded the Dinakara Desai award for his poetry, the B. H. Sridhar award for fiction, as well as the Katha National award and Rujuwathu trust fellowship for his creative writing.
Poetry and stories
- Rangadindostu doora. Published by Akshara Prakashana, Sagar, Karnataka 1974.
- Kotitirtha. Published by Akshara Prakashana, Sagar, Karnataka 1982.
- Shravana Madhyahna. Published by Akshara Prakashana, Sagar, Karnataka 1987.
- Neelimale. Published by Patrike Prakashana, Bangalore 1997.
- Theredashte Baagilu, short stories.
- Dagadoo Parabana Ashwamedha, short stories.
- Amruthaballi Kashaya, short stories.
- Bogaseyalli Male, collection of reflections
- Shabda Theera, collection of reflections
- Bannada Kaalu -Published by 'Ankita Pustaka'
- Toofan Mail, collection of short stories.
- Ondu jilebi, Released on December 28, 08 by 'Ankita Pustaka'.
- Charminaar, 2012 Published by 'Ankita Pustaka'
- "We Are OK" (Prasad (film))
- "Ee Sanje Yakaagide" (Geleya)
- "Ninnindale" (Milana)
- "Male nintu hoda mele" (Milana)
- "Anisutide Yaako Indu" (Mungaru Male)
- "Kunidhu Kunidhu Baare" (Mungaru Male)
- "Male Baruva Haagide" (Moggina Manasu)
- "Madhuvana Karedare" (Inti Ninna Preetiya)
- "Beladingalante Minuguta" (Psycho)
- "Hey Mouna" (Krishna)
- "Minchaagi Neenu" (Gaalipata)
- "Poorva Para"
- "Madhura Pisumatige" (Birugali)
- "Maleya Haniyalli" (Januma Janumadallu)
- "Yaaro Kooda Ninna Haage" (Love Guru)
- "Yello Maleyaagide" (Manasaare)
- "Ondu Kanasu" (Manasaare)
- "Onde Ninna" (Manasaare)
- "Chalisuva Cheluve" (Ullasa Utsaha)
- "Nee Sanihake Bandare" (Maleyali Jotheyali)
- "Kudi Notave" (Parichaya)
- "Hoovina Baanadanthe Yaarigu Kaanadanthe (Birugaali)
- "Aaaramage yiddenaanu (Gokula)
- "neenendare nannolage (Junglee)
- "Hrudayave Bayaside Ninnane" (Krishnan Love Story)
- "Ninna Gungalle" Lifeu Ishtene
- "Paravashanaadenu" (Paramathma)
- "Yenendu Hesaridali" (Anna Bond)
- "neeralli sanna" (hudugaru)
He has also written the scripts of many movies.
Awards for Films
- Best Lyricist (2008) : Gaalipata - "Minchagi Neenu Baralu"
- Best Lyricist (2009) : Manasaare - "Yello Maleyaagide"
- Best Lyricist (2009) : MaLeyali Jotheyali - "Ni Sanihake Bandare"
- Best Lyricist (2010) : Krishnan Love Story - "Hrudayave"
Awards for His Literary Works
- Karnataka Sahitya Akademi Award 4 Times: In 1974 when he was nineteen years old and in 1982, 1989, 1996
- Kusumagraj National Award in 2010
- Honorary doctorate from Tumkur University in 2011
- "Jayant Kaikini".