|Sri Jayendra Saraswati Swamigal|
Sri Jayendra Saraswati Swamigal
18 July 1935
Kanchipuram, Tamil Nadu
Subramanyam Mahadeva Iyer was nominated by his predecessor, Chandrashekarendra Saraswati Swamigal, as his successor and was given the title Jayendra Saraswathi on March 22, 1954. He is one of the leading religious figures in Hinduism today.
On account of his sacerdotal office and his profound knowledge of the Hindu religion, he remains widely respected. The Kanchi Math has grown into a strong organization under him. Further, the Kanchi Mutth is also widely patronised by many NRIs, particularly from United States.
The Kanchi Mutth runs many schools, eye clinics and hospitals. Sankara Nethralaya in Chennai, Tamil Nadu and Sankardeva Netralay in Guwahati, Assam are formed by him, as well as the Children's Hospital, Hindu Mission Hospital and Tamil Nadu Hospital.
The Jayalalithaa government in Tamil Nadu enacted a law to ban religious conversion, in keeping with the Shankaracharya's oft-expressed concerns. The Tamil Nadu government also started to enforce a pre-existing ban on animal sacrifice in temples,[dead link] echoing concerns raised by the pontiff.
- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/2356621.stm BBC NEWS | South Asia | Christian protest over conversion plan
- The Kanchi Kamakoti Peetham
- Sensational Comments of Jayendra Saraswathi on YouTube
- The Sacred and the Profane 
- Complete text of the Order of the Supreme Court of India in dismissing the application of the Government of Tamil Nadu in seeking the stay of the Shankarachaya outside the States of South India
- Complete text of the Order of Writ Mandamus issued by the Madras High Court against the Government of Tamil Nadu holding that the freezing of the bank accounts by the Police is illegal
- Kanchi Forum an online forum. (a forum for devotees of the acharyas to share their views)
- Cover Story on Jayendra Saraswathi, in Frontline news magazine.
- Consolidated news on Legal proceedings on Sri Jayendra Saraswathi.
- Conroversy over Jayendra Saraswathi on YouTube
- Ten Minutes in a Life