||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2012)|
October 27, 1951
Washington, D.C., United States
|Other names||Jayne Kennedy Overton|
|Spouse(s)||Leon Isaac Kennedy (1970–1982)
Bill Overton (1985–present)
Jayne Kennedy (née Harrison; born October 27, 1951) is an American actress, beauty pageant titleholder, and sportscaster. She won the NAACP Image Award for Outstanding Actress in a Motion Picture award for 1981's Body and Soul.
Miss Ohio USA
Born Jayne Harrison in Washington, D.C., to machinist Herbert Harrison and his wife Virginia Harrison, she was crowned Miss Ohio USA in 1970 (she was the first African American woman to win the title), and was one of the 15 semi-finalists in the Miss USA 1970 pageant. It was rare for an African American woman at that time to be in the contest.
Jayne and her then-husband Leon Isaac Kennedy moved to California to pursue careers in acting. In 1978, she was one of the first women to infiltrate the male-dominated world of sports announcing with a role on The NFL Today. She has been on the cover of Ebony and Jet magazines numerous times.
Since the 1990s, Kennedy has remained busy away from the limelight, spending more time with her family. For many years, she worked for the Children's Miracle Network, where she raised millions of dollars for hospitals. She occasionally appears on various Christian Television Network shows.
While starting her pageantry career, she met Leon Isaac Kennedy, who was a DJ and a struggling actor/writer. They married in 1970. Motown's Smokey Robinson served as best man at the wedding. The Kennedys divorced in 1982.
In 1985 she married actor Bill Overton. They have four children: his daughter Cheyenne (1982) and their three daughters Savannah Re (b. November 20, 1985), Kopper Joi (b. May 17, 1989) and Zaire Ollyea (b. September 15, 1995).
- The Rockford Files episode: "Foul on the First Play" (TV series, 1976)
- The Muthers—Serena
- Big Time—Shana Baynes
- Wonder Woman Episode: "Knockout" 1977
- Death Force—Maria Russell
- Body and Soul—Julie Winters
- Ms. 45—Seamstress
- Night Trap—Face in the Fire
- http://books.google.com/books?id=6psMpxC-2oMC&pg=PA150&lpg=PA150&dq=regina+belle+gives+birth+to+daughter+winter&source=bl&ots=Qp6bkZntCU&sig=90e9SJ3guzkTdj-nY5uU5xDhfwo&hl=en&sa=X&ei=VUOrUKv9HsPA0QG_64HYDQ&ved=0CEcQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q=regina%20belle%20gives%20birth%20to%20daughter%20winter&f=false Ebony (magazine) Dec 1996