Jayne Marie Mansfield
|Jayne Marie Mansfield|
November 8, 1950 |
Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania
|Occupation||Actress and model|
|Known for||First Playboy pictorial model whose mother was a Playmate|
|Parents||Jayne and Paul Mansfield|
Jayne Marie Mansfield (born November 8, 1950) is the first child and eldest daughter of 1950s Hollywood sex symbol and Playboy Playmate Jayne Mansfield and her ex-husband Paul and older half-sister of actress Mariska Hargitay. In July 1976, she became the first daughter of a Playmate to be a featured model. To date, only one other daughter of a Playmate has been featured in the magazine. Additionally, she is the only model who was featured as 100 Beautiful Women along with her mother in the magazine's 1988 special issue. She has acted in the film Olly, Olly, Oxen Free (1978) and TV production Blond in Hollywood (2003).
|Jayne Mansfield – Mother|
|Paul Mansfield – Father|
|Mickey Hargitay – Step father|
|Antonio Raphael Ottaviano Cimber – Half Brother|
|Tina Hargitay – Step sister|
|Zoltan Hargitay – Half Brother|
|Mariska Hargitay – Half Sister|
|Miklos 'Mickey' Hargitay Jr. – Half Brother|
Two weeks before her mother's death on June 29, 1967, Mansfield, then 16, accused her mother's then boyfriend, Sam Brody, of beating her. Her statement to the Los Angeles Police Department the following morning implicated her mother in encouraging the abuse, and days later, a juvenile-court judge awarded temporary custody of Jayne Marie to a great-uncle, W.W. Pigue. Out of Jayne's five children, only Jayne Marie attended her mother's funeral on July 3, 1967 due to the fact the other children were all under the age of 10. In 1968, wrongful death lawsuits were filed on behalf of Jayne Marie and Matt Cimber, Jayne's husband from September 24, 1964 to July 11, 1965 and producer-director of her last film Single Room Furnished, the former for $4.8 million and the latter for $2.7 million.
In 1970, she married Barry Lang in Las Vegas, Nevada and the couple had one son but were later divorced. As of 2008, Mansfield is in a long-term relationship and frequently visits her grandchildren. In March 1979, she declared her plan to write a biography of her mother.
Playmate's daughter as a Playboy model
Mansfield is the first of Playboy nude models whose mothers were featured nude as well. Her 7-page pictorial in the magazine's July 1976 issue, titled Jayne's Girl, was photographed by Dwight Hooker. Hooker made the pictorial in a vintage Southern context, including monochromatic images. The accompanying text makes a comparison to her mother and the differences between the two, though Jayne Marie said in an interview that she is "not capitalizing on her bosom as (my) mother did" for the pictorial. In describing her art historian Anthony W. Lee together with photographer Diane Arbus wrote, "Jayne Marie Mansfield has her mother's rounded features and mysterious eyes."
An image of Mansfield from the pictorial appears in Shock Value: A Tasteful Book About Bad Taste by John Waters (Thunder's Mouth Press, 2005), which has a section dedicated to star daughters. The pictorial also appeared on the Playboy Newsstand Special titled Blonds Brunettes Redheads (also featured Claudia Ohana, Loretta Martin, Francoise Gayat and Shannon Tweed) in 1985, and the September 1976 issue of A Revista do Homem, the Brazilian version of Playboy (also featuring Vera Manhães).
Mansfield was featured in Playboy a second time in December of the same year, as one of the "sex stars of 1976". Photographed by Arthur Knight, she was featured again in the April 1980 Playmate Reunion section of the magazine. The issue also featured Cyndi Wood, Monique St. Pierre, Sondra Theodore, Carol Vitale, Dolly Read, and Candy Loving, as well as Hugh Hefner, the printer, editor and publisher of magazine.
The credit for the first Playmate of the Month whose mother was another Playmate of the Month goes to Simone Eden, from the February 1989 issue, whose mother, Carol Eden, was on the centerfold in December 1960. The credit for the first daughters to appear together with the mother goes to Dawn and Shannon Davis who appeared in the August 1993 issue with their mother, Tamara Davis. That Arny Freytag pictorial was titled Like Mother, Like Daughters after the title for a 1968 movie featuring Playmate Victoria Valentino. Of the featured daughters, only Mansfield was included in the 1988 Playboy 100 Beautiful Women Newsstand Special magazine, along with a picture from Hooker pictorial. The issue also featured her mother.
- Olly, Olly, Oxen Free (1978): An independent film directed by Richard A. Colla that featured Katharine Hepburn and Kevin McKenzie in the lead. She was uncredited in cast list.
- Blond in Hollywood (season three): (TV production, 1 episode, February 2003): Third season of a documentary series on Hollywood sex symbols that also featured Matt Climber and Miklós Hargitay, two of Jayne's husbands as themselves.
- Jayne Mansfield: Loves and Kisses: Featured as an interview in the A&E documentary hosted by Peter Graves aired in 2006.
Footnotes and references
- Jayne Marie Mansfield, All Highschool Alumni Search
- "Jayne Mansfield Dies in New Orleans Car Crash", The New York Times, June 30, 1967, p. 33
- Strait, pp. 288–289
- "Jayne Mansfield Suit Filed", The New York Times, June 23, 1968, p. 22
- "Ask Stacy: Hollywood Exclusive by Marilyn Beck & Stacy Jenel Smith". Creators.com. February 16, 2008.
- Jocelyn Faris, Jayne Mansfield: A Bio-Bibliography, page 38, ABC-CLIO, 1994, ISBN 9780313285448
- Jocelyn Faris, Jayne Mansfield: A Bio-Bibliography, page 39, ABC-CLIO, 1994, ISBN 9780313285448
- Playboy by Marion Dreyfus at Daily Speculations; Retrieved: 2007-09-29
- Frequently Asked Questions about Playboy Enterprises Inc. at alt.mag.playboy newsgroup; Retrieved: 2007-09-05
- Frequently Asked Questions about Playboy Enterprises Inc. at AllAnswers.org; Retrieved: 2007-09-29
- Playboy Statistics & Info at Free for All, CelebSwap.com; Retrieved: 2007-09-29
- Hooker, Dwight (July 1976). "Jayne's Girl". Playboy. pp. 81–87.
- "And, here's Jayne Marie Mansfield", Bucks County Courier Times, 1976-06-11
- "Jayne in Playboy", Times Recorder, 1976-06-17
- Anthony W. Lee, John Pultz & Diane Arbus, Diane Arbus: Family Albums, page 14, Yale University Press, 2003, ISBN 0-300-10146-5
- Playboy Blonds Brunettes Redheads Newsstand Special magazine, Amazon product description; Retrieved: 2007-12-01
- Jane Marie: filha de Jayne Mansfield; A Revista do Homem; Setembro de 1976; Retrieved: 2007-12-07
- Playboy (USA); December 1976, Vol. 23, Iss. 12, pg. 190; Arthur Knight, Sex Stars of 1976
- Playboy April 1980, Amazon product description; Retrieved: 2007-12-01
- Playboy April 1980, Magazines for Men product description; Retrieved: 2007-12-01
- Like Mother Like Daughter at the Internet Movie Database
- 1988 Playboy 100 Beautiful Women Newsstand Special magazine, Amazon product description; Retrieved: 2007-09-21
- Alternatively titled a.k.a. The Great Balloon Adventure, or The Great Balloon Race
- Olly Olly Oxen Free at the Internet Movie Database
- Blond in Hollywood at the Internet Movie Database