Jaypee Institute of Information Technology
|Jaypee Institute of Information Technology|
|जेपी सूचना प्रौद्योगिकी संस्थान|
|Motto||विद्या तत्व ज्योतिसमः|
Motto in English
|Education, Enlightenment, Empowerment|
Officer in charge
|Colonel (Retd.) Vijay Kumar SM, VSM|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. Dr. S.C. Saxena|
|Dean||1. Prof. Dr. Krishna Gopal
(Academic & Research Sec-62)
2. Dr. Krishna Kant
|Undergraduates||1170 each year (2013) |
|Location||Noida, Uttar Pradesh, India
|Campus||1. Sec-62: Urban, 15.5 acres (0.063 km2)
2. Sec-128: Urban, 9.786 acres (0.03960 km2)
|Sports||Cricket, Football, Badminton, Tennis, Basketball|
Jaypee Institute of Information Technology (Hindi: जेपी सूचना प्रौद्योगिकी संस्थान) better known as JIIT Noida is an institute of higher education, a deemed university under Section 3 of the UGC Act 1956 and currently conferring the Deemed to be University status. The institute has 6 academic departments and offers programs in technical education at undergraduate, postgraduate and doctorate level. Institute is situated in Noida, Gautam Buddh Nagar district of the Indian state Uttar Pradesh, which has proximity to the Indian capital New Delhi.
- 1 History
- 2 Academics
- 3 Departments
- 4 Research Centres
- 5 Conferences
- 6 Infrastructure
- 7 Student life
- 8 College fest
- 9 Extra-curricular activities
- 10 Campuses
- 11 International linkages
- 12 Institute-Industry Synergy
- 13 Notable alumni
- 14 Controversies
- 15 Gallery: Sector-62 Noida campus
- 16 Gallery: Sector-128 Noida campus
- 17 See also
- 18 References
- 19 External links
The institute was founded in 2001 by Jaypee Group and commenced its operation in the start of academic year in July 2001. Initially it was affiliated to the state university Jaypee University of Information Technology, Waknaghat and started offering only diploma courses. By 1 November 2004, it was declared as deemed university by UGC. Then HRD minister Dr. Arjun Singh inaugurated the institute as deemed university. He also presided as the chief guest of the opening ceremony.
Expansion into multiple campuses
JIIT, Noida has created a new sprawling campus, which is located in the fast developing corporate and housing hub at Sector-128, Noida. The campus is approximately 20 km. (a 30-minute drive) from the main campus of JIIT at Sector-62, and just 10 minutes drive from the Amity chowk area on the Greater Noida Expressway. It commenced operations from the start of academic session in August 2009. Though the sector-128 campus is new, it lacks in providing hostel facilities to students.
Chancellor and academic head
Jaiprakash Gaur was the founder chairman and chancellor of the institute followed by his son Mr. Manoj Gaur, who served as the 2nd chancellor of the institute. He was succeeded by Dr. Yajulu Medury who is serving as the current Chancellor of the institute. Dr. J. P. Gupta was the institute founder director and first Vice-Chancellor. He was followed by Dr. S. C. Saxena and he is serving as the current Vice-Chancellor (acting) from 1 July 2011, onward. Dr. Shankar Lall Maskara was the first Dean of Academic & Research of Sector-62 campus and he was followed by Dr. Krishna Gopal.
Institute offers undergraduate programs leading to a Bachelor of Technology degree and postgraduate program leading to Master of Technology degree. There is also a five-year dual degree program as well as doctorate research programs offered by the institute. Institute also offers MBA programs under its constituent Jaypee Business School.
Before 2005 students has to take a separate entrance test to obtain admission into the undergraduate engineering programs of the institute. Since the start of the academic session of 2005-2006 all admissions in the undergraduate engineering programs are based on the AIEEE ranks. However, due to the replacement of the AIEEE from JEE starting from academic session 2014-2015 all admission in the undergraduate engineering programs will be based on the JEE ranks. To obtain admission into the MBA programs of the institute one needs to undergo CAT or MAT exam held in the month of November and December. Admission into the postgraduate engineering programs of the institute are based on GATE scores and also on a Post Graduate Test conducted by the institute to select the suitable candidates.
At present institute divided into the 6 academic departments. Each department has its own administration structure with the Head of the Department (HoD) at the top of it. Departments include:
- Department of Biotechnology
- Department of Computer Science & Information Technology
- Department of Electronics & Communication
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Physics and Material Science
- Department of Humanities and Social Sciences
MEMS Design Centre
A dedicated Research Centre for MEMS Design has been created by the institute as an interdisciplinary research establishment. MEMS design centre involves participation from the various departments of the institute viz. Electronics and Communication, Physics and Material Science and Biotechnology. Centre has been created to implement the National Program of Materials for Smart Sensors (NPMASS) initiated by Aeronautical Development Agency of Government of India. Under NPMASS, MEMS Centre has obtained state of art software such as COMSOL Multiphysics, Intellisuite and Tanner EDA. Centre also has collaborative projects from DRDO on Infrared Sensor Device development. The Centre has undertaken in-house development of Quartz Micro-balance for Bio-sensors, MEMS Inductor Design for RF wireless application, Microcantilever for communication filter and lead free piezo ceramics through master level projects.
Centre for Emerging Diseases
Centre for Emerging Diseases addresses the questions of molecular mechanism/pathogenesis/host pathogen interactions of emerging and re-emerging viral (Chikungunya & Chandipura) and bacterial pathogens (Mycobacterium) and life style diseases such as cancer, cardiovascular and CNS disorders. Research emphasis is also on peptide based therapeutics, biosensor and ELISA based diagnostics, drug encapsulated Nanoparticles and nanoemulsions to improve the delivery and bioavailability.
Prayag: Centre for Knowledge Informatics for Sustainable Development
Prayag aims to create a community of such multidisciplinary researchers at JIIT who are driven by the concerns of sustainable development. It has been envisaged as a forum to contribute towards deepening and broadening the understanding about the multifaceted challenges and solutions associated with sustainable development. It seeks to do so through facilitating and promoting discipline specific as well as IT inclusive cross-disciplinary approach.
Center for Performance Modelling of Computing Systems
This centre provides a platform to researchers to share their experiences, insights, and challenges regarding modelling, simulation and performance evaluation in all areas of computer science engineering and information technology. Specifically, the academic activities of this centre are focused on modelling and simulation of computer networks (wired & wireless), wireless sensor networks, distributed systems, multimedia systems and techniques, databases & data mining techniques, computer architectures and processors, algorithms, social networks, software & information systems.
- IC3: International Conference on Contemporary Computing (since 2008, held every year) 
- ISSPIT - IEEE Symposium on Signal Processing and Information Technology (14th symposium) 
Institute has been developed as a modern world class campus, with intellectually vibrant ambience in a serene and lush green environment. It has two campuses at Sector-62 and Sector-128 in Noida respectively. The state-of-the-art campuses at a total project cost of 300 crore (US$47 million), with a total built up area of over 98664 m2 comprising smart buildings with internet, with Wi-Fi connectivity, including environmentally conditioned academic blocks, annapurna (mess), well-equipped modern laboratories and learning resource centre. Faculty and student residences provides a pleasant and intellectually stimulating ambience for students in an eco-friendly environment.
Learning Resource Centre
The Learning Resource Centre (LRC) is the name of central library of the institute. LRC is a knowledge centre which has rich resources mainly in computer science, information technology, electronics, telecommunication, biotechnology, mathematics, physics, materials science, humanities, management and other related applied fields. It is a three-storey centrally air conditioned and Wi-Fi enabled block and has a sitting capacity of around 400 readers. LRC is situated in the academic building Aryabhatt 1 of the sec-62 campus of the institute and is the hub of the entire academic and research activities of the institute.
It has more than 42000 volumes of books, 631 ebooks, 472 ACM (journals, transactions, proceedings, reports), 175 Emerlad journals, 5937 Springer lecture notes, 333493 ABI/INFORM Complete (journals, reports, theses and dissertations), 2893 project reports and 4326 CD and DVD resources. LRC is also amember of Developing Library Network (DELNET) for sharing the resources among its member libraries. LRC users can access online journals of IEEE, ACM, Engineering Village and Springer through the consortium INDEST (Indian National Digital Library in Engineering, Science and Technology) and users can know about the availability status of the books and other materials through the public access catalog.
There are four computer labs, other labs are biotechnology lab, analog and digital communication lab, instrumentation lab, machine lab, control systems lab, electronic design lab (uses MATLAB and VHDL), microprocessor lab (equipped with Intel 8085, 8086 and 8051 kits) and a physics lab. M.Tech labs are equipped with facilities like LAN trainer, CDMA trainer, antenna trainer and mobile communication trainer.
Annapurna is the name of the institute mess which serves all the students along with the faculty members. It is capable of accommodating 930 peoples at a time with 2 kitchens. Annapurna is a double-storey building with ground floor reserved for girls and first floor reserved for boys. Mess has a buffet system and has a separate cafeteria as well, which operates throughout the day except during mess hours.
Institute provides on-campus residential facilities to its students, research scholars, faculty members and many of its staff. The students have option to stay in hostels or outside of the institute campus. Most of the rooms in the hostels are designed to accommodate two students per room. The hostels are provided with a common room with television, table tennis boards, carom boards and other forms of entertainment. 
IMPRESSIONS, the annual techno-cultural-managerial festival of JIIT held in the month of march or April organised by JIIT Youth Club, is a pulsating festival with an array of events including India is great channel for self-evaluation, but it was also a pedestal, that served the purpose of experience and endurance. IMPRESSIONS imparted hard learned lessons and left behind memories which linger on forever like a distant symphony. Like the finger prints it means something totally different to each individual and each one lives it in a unique way. That is the peculiar charm of IMPRESSIONS. The rock nights and music concerts are In all IMPRESSIONS was that event which made college life worthwhile when everyone treads on the same path towards a common goal. When everyone gets together and sets into the 'relaxed' mode to enjoy the most memorable days of their life-the college life, to the fullest.
JIIT Youth Club (JYC), is the sole student body of the institute, believe in furthering the development of the students as a whole, and strive to provide a climate that nurtures the holistic development of the students, an environment that is trusting and spontaneous; and encourages flexibility, celebration and recognition. This is achieved through annual cultural, technical fests, various events, parties, treks, outings and other spontaneous activities to maintain high levels of enthusiasm and team integration. Focusing on technical, literary, sports, and cultural competitive activities, apart from serving as a retreat from intense academic loads, these extracurricular activities presents with an opportunity this builds confidence, encourages teamwork and gives students a strong sense of achievement and belonging.
- E-CELL (Entrepreneurship Cell), JIIT, Noida
- IEEE Student Branch, JIIT, Noida
- CodeChef (RubixDen), JIIT, Noida
- CICR (Creativity and Innovation Cell in Robotic)
- CICE (Creativity and Innovation Cell in Electronics)
- RIBOSE (Resonance in Biotechnologists and Engineers)
- GDG JIIT NOIDA
- JIIT Programming Hub (Knuth Club)
- Sector-62 Noida
- Sector-128 Noida
- Sector-128 campus is newly established and has been operational since start of the academic session in July 2009 and currently offering undergraduate courses in Computer Science Engineering, Electronic & Communication Engineering and B.A Honours. This campus is close to the Buddh International Circuit.
- The Finnish Universities of Applied Sciences
- University of California, Berkeley
- University of Florida
- University of Nebraska at Omaha
- University of Westminster
- University of Abertay Dundee
- Cheng Shiu University
- Alliance of 4 Universities (A-4U), Spain
Institute has established partnerships with the following organisations to provide additional training, workshops and practical work experience to its students:
In 2010, the Government of India decided to derecognise 44 universities including JIIT. However, this matter is still pending in supreme court of India. In its recent judgement supreme court of India directed University Grants Commission to conduct a fresh physical verification of infrastructure and faculty strength of deemed universities, which were black-listed by Tandon Committee.
Gallery: Sector-62 Noida campus
Gallery: Sector-128 Noida campus
- Jaypee University of Information Technology, Waknaghat
- Jaypee University of Engineering & Technology, Guna
- "JIIT Registrar". jiit.ac.in. Retrieved 2012-02-24.
- "AICTE : Disclosures, faculty list" (PDF). jiit.ac.in. Retrieved 2014-11-02.
- "JIIT fee and admission" (PDF). jiit.ac.in. Retrieved 2014-11-02.
- "JIIT campus". jiit.ac.in. Retrieved 2013-01-31.
- "Deemed University Directory, University Grants Commission, India". ugc.ac.in. Retrieved 2013-03-01.
- "Association of Indian Universities member list". aiuweb.org. Retrieved 2012-01-01.
- "List of Deemed Universities" (PDF). education.nic.in. Retrieved 2013-03-01.
- "About JIIT". jiit.ac.in. Retrieved 2013-03-01.
- "JIIT Sec-128 Campus". jiit.ac.in. Retrieved 6 April 2012.
- "List of authorities". jiit.ac.in. Retrieved 2013-03-01.
- "JIIT academic courses list". jiit.ac.in. Retrieved 2013-03-01.
- "JIIT curriculum of various programmes". jiit.ac.in. Retrieved 2013-03-01.
- "Jaypee Business School". jbs.ac.in. Retrieved 2012-02-19.
- "JIIT courses accreditation status" (PDF). aicte-india.org. Retrieved 2013-01-31.
- "JIIT admission information portal". jiit.ac.in. Retrieved 2013-03-01.
- "Department List of JIIT". jiit.ac.in. Retrieved 2013-03-01.
- http://www.ieee.org/conferences_events/conferences/conferencedetails/index.html?Conf_ID=34056 IC3
- http://www.isspit.org/isspit/2014/ ISSPIT
- "Campus information". jiit.ac.in. Retrieved 2013-03-01.
- "LRC". jiit.ac.in. Retrieved 2013-03-01.
- "LRC collection". jiit.ac.in. Retrieved 2013-03-01.
- "Labs". jiit.ac.in. Retrieved 2013-03-01.
- "Student life". jiit.ac.in. Retrieved 2013-03-01.
- "Impressions". jiit.ac.in. Retrieved 2013-03-01.
- "JYC". jiit.ac.in. Retrieved 2013-03-01.
- "IEEE Student Branch in UP, India". ieee.org. Retrieved 2013-08-21.
- "CICR". jiit.ac.in. Retrieved 2013-03-01.
- "CICE". jiit.ac.in. Retrieved 2013-03-01.
- "RIBOSE". jiit.ac.in. Retrieved 2013-03-01.
- "GDG JIIT NOIDA". google.com. Retrieved 2015-01-21.
- "technical-hub". jiit.ac.in. Retrieved 2015-01-21.
- "JIIT sec 128 campus". jiit.ac.in. Retrieved 2013-01-31.
- "International linkages of JIIT". jiit.ac.in. 2 November 2014.
- "International linkages of JIIT general" (PDF). jiit.ac.in. 2 November 2014.
- "Corporate Collaborations of JIIT". jiit.ac.in. Retrieved 2 November 2014.
- "Corporate Collaboration with Wipro". jiit.ac.in. Retrieved 2 November 2014.
- "Corporate Collaboration with HCL Technologies" (PDF). jiit.ac.in. Retrieved 2 November 2014.
- "Corporate Collaboration with Accenture" (PDF). jiit.ac.in. Retrieved 2 November 2014.
- "Corporate Collaboration with CSC" (PDF). jiit.ac.in. Retrieved 2 November 2014.
- "Kirti Sanon IMDB profile". imdb.com. 10 February 2013.
- "List of proposed derecognised deemed universities". educationobserver.com. Retrieved 2012-01-01.
- http://www.hindustantimes.com/hteducation/educationnews/sc-to-decide-fate-of-41-blacklisted-deemed-universities-today/article1-1268566.aspx SC to decide fate of 41 blacklisted deemed universities today
- http://www.telegraphindia.com/1140923/jsp/nation/story_18863271.jsp#.VDlyn_mSx8E UGC tags 8 deemed varsities ‘unworthy’
- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/indiahome/indianews/article-2770096/Supreme-Court-ruling-puts-34-deemed-universities-doomed-list.html Supreme Court ruling puts 34 deemed universities on 'doomed' list
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jaypee Institute of Information Technology.|
- JIIT official webpage
- JUIT official webpage
- JUET official webpage
- Jaypee Business School official webpage
- Learning Resource Center official webpage
- Google map view of JIIT, Noida
- Wikimapia map view of JIIT, Noida
- Jaypee Group's official webpage