Self-portrait of Santerre.
23 March 1658
|Died||21 November 1717
Jean-Baptiste Santerre (23 March 1658 – November 21, 1717), was a French painter.
Santerre was born at Magny-en-Vexin, near Pontoise. A pupil of Bon Boullogne, he began his painting career at a portraitist, with a notable work being a portrait of Marie Leszczyńska with the Maison de St Cyr in the background (now at the musée de Versailles). He won a major reputation thanks to his academies. His most notable work is his Susanna Bathing (Louvre), the diploma work executed by him in 1704, when he was received into the Académie (though the version now in the Louvre seems to be a copy by Santerre of the original). Although his religious paintings lacked inspiration, the Susanna contributed to Santerre's fifty-year reputation as a painter of the erotic nude, in which field he was the forerunner to François Boucher (1730–1770) and Jean-Honoré Fragonard (1732–1806). The Susanna and his Portrait of a Lady in Venetian Costume (Louvre) give a good impression of Santerre's taste and of his elaborate, refined and careful method. He died at Paris.
- Woman Pulling a Curtain, Paris, Galerie Eric Coatalem
- Two Actresses, St Petersburg, Hermitage Museum
- Susanna Bathing, Louvre
- Portrait of a lady in Venetian costume, known as the Marquise de Moulins-Rochefort Louvre
- Young woman writing a letter, Valenciennes, Musée des Beaux-Arts
- Jean-Baptiste Santerre (1658–1717) (self-portrait), Versailles, Musée National du Château et des Trianons
- Marie-Adelaide de Savoie, duchesse de Bourgogne (1685–1712), Versailles, Musée National du Château et des Trianons
- Philippe d'Orleans, regent, et Marie Madeleine de la Vieuville, Comtesse de Parabere (1693–1755), Versailles, Musée National du Château et des Trianons.
- Saint Theresa in ecstasy, Versailles, Musée National du Château et des Trianons
- The cook, Le Mans, Musée de Tessé
- Portrait of Nicolas Boileau, Musée des beaux-arts de Lyon
- Young smoker, Musée des beaux-arts de Chambéry
- Mlle. Desmares
- Jean Racine
- Young Woman Wearing a Shawl
- The comtesse de Bersac
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jean-Baptiste Santerre.|
- Full catalogue of his works - (French) Claude Lesné: Jean-Baptiste Santerre, 1651-1717, in the bulletin of the Société de l'histoire de l'art français, 1988.