Jean-Pierre Petit is a French scientist, retired member of the CNRS (Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, National Center for Scientific Research). He is the author of French-language comic books titled Anselme Lanturlu, which aim at explaining scientific principles to children and other people without scientific background. Jean-Pierre Petit is an ufologist, and is in France one of the foremost proponent for the extraterrestrial hypothesis. He thinks that magnetohydrodynamics explains the impressive feats of flying saucers. He also thinks that extraterrestrials Ummo live among us, and wrote letters to Spanish ufologists. He also thinks that there is a cover-up to hide the truth about Ufos, and that the Roswell crash story is true. He wrote many books about this subjects.
Petit is a pioneer in magnetohydrodynamics. He started to work on this subject in the 1960s.
Petit has lost respect from a part of the scientific community because of the controversial claims he has made on several controversial topics. He claims that aliens from Ummo have sent letters to selected people, including himself. He contends that the US Air Force now has incredibly fast aircraft, Aurora, due to secretly conducted research on magnetohydrodynamics. Aurora would use a conventional turbofan propulsion system, fed by an MHD controlled hypersonic air inlet. And he claims that the US military has a powerful antimatter bomb that they successfully detonated on planet Jupiter. Because of these views, he is not taken seriously by many French scientists.
- Jean-Pierre Petit's Web site, mostly in French, some parts in English.
- Podcast: A conversation with Jean-Pierre Petit regarding his work. Part 1 (transcript), Part 2 (transcript)
- Anselme Lanturlu's comics, scientific comic books, mostly translated in English (and different other languages).
- www.ufo-science.com Scientific investigation of UFO phenomena
- his researching in cosmology
- From Jean-Pierre Petit's book "Ovnis et armes secrètes américaines : L'extraordinaire témoignage d'un scientifique." (translates to UFOs and secret American weapons : An extraordinary testimony from a scientist.) ISBN 2-253-11494-4