Jean-Pierre Vigier (January 16, 1920, Paris – May 4, 2004, Paris) was a theoretical physicist, known for his work on the foundations of physics, and in particular on his stochastic interpretation of quantum physics.
Vigier earned his Ph.D. in Mathematics from University of Geneva in 1946 with a study on Infinite Sequences of Hermitian Operators. In 1948 he was appointed assistant to Louis de Broglie, a position he held until the latter's retirement in 1962. Vigier was professor emeritus at in the Department of Gravitational Physics at Pierre et Marie Curie University in Paris. He authored more than 300 scientific papers, and co-authored and edited a number of books and conference proceedings. He was a member of the editorial board of Physics Letters A.
Vigier was a proponent of the stochastic interpretation of quantum mechanics, which was based on the ideas of de Broglie and David Bohm. Politically, Vigier was an active supporter of communism throughout his life.
Vigier was invited to be Einstein's assistant; but at the time because of his political controversy related to Vietnam the US State Department would not allow him entry into the United States.
Vigier's father was a professor of English, such that Vigier became fluent in English and French, his native language.
- Jean-Pierre Vigier, 1920-2004
- "Some works and publications of Jean-Pierre Vigier, Foundations of Physics, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 399-407, 1995
- Myron W. Evans, Jean-Pierre Vigier: The Enigmatic Photon (series in several volumes), Kluwer Academic, 1996, ISBN 0-7923-4044-2
- Louis de Broglie, P A M Dirac, Eugene Paul Wigner, A O Barut, Alwyn Van der Merwe, Jean-Pierre Vigier: Quantum, space, and time — the quest continues: studies and essays in honour of Louis de Broglie, Paul Dirac, and Eugene Wigner, Cambridge Monographs on Physics, ISBN 978-0-521-31911-9. Originally published in Foundations of physics, 1982-1983.
- Yann Fitt, Alexandre Faire, Jean Pierre Vigier: The world economic crisis: U.S. imperialism at bay, Zed Press, 1980, ISBN 978-0-905762-53-1
- Jean-Pierre Vigier: France's May revolution: an analysis of the French May revolt, Sydney: International Publications, 1968
- Louis de Broglie; Jean Pierre Vigier: Introduction to the Vigier theory of elementary particles: with a chapter by Jean-Pierre Vigier, Elsevier, 1963
- Pierre Hillion, Jean-Pierre Vigier: Les Ondes associées à une structure interne des particules. Sur les équations d'ondes associées à la structure des bosons. Sur les équations d'ondes associées à la structure des fermions (On wave equations associated with an internal structure of particles), Annales de l'Institut Henri Poincaré, vol. 17, no. 3, 1962
- Jean-Pierre Vigier: Recherches sur l'interprétation causale de la théorie des quanta (Research on the causal interpretation of quantum theory), Thèse d'Etat, Université de Paris, Faculté des sciences, 1954. Published by Gauthier-Villars, 1955.
- Conference proceedings in honour of Jean-Pierre Vigier
- R. L Amoroso, P. Rowlands, S. Jeffers, J.-P. Vigier: Search for fundamental theory: the VIIth international symposium honoring French mathematical physicist Jean-Pierre Vigier, Imperial College, London, UK, 12-14 July 2010, AIP conference proceedings, no. 1316, American Institute of Physics, 2010
- R. L Amoroso, B. Lehnert, J.-P. Vigier: Beyond the standard model — searching for unity in physics: Proceedings of the Paris symposium honoring the 83rd birthday of Jean-Pierre Vigier, Noetic Press, 2005, ISBN 978-0-9678687-3-8
- R. L. Amoroso, G. Hunter, M. Kafatos, J.-P. Vigier: Gravitation and cosmology: from the Hubble radius to the Planck scale. Proceedings of a symposium in honor of the 80th birthday of Jean-Pierre Vigier, Kluwer Academic, 2002, ISBN 1-4020-0885-6
- G. Hunter, S. Jeffers, J. P. Vigier: Causality and Locality in Modern Physics, Proceedings of a symposium held in honour of Jean-Pierre Vigier at York University, Toronto, Canada, in August 1997, Springer, 1998, ISBN 978-90-481-5092-2
- S. Jeffers, J. P. Vigier, S. Roy: The present status of the quantum theory of light: Proceedings of a symposium in honour of Jean-Pierre Vigier, Proceedings of a symposium held in honour of Jean-Pierre Vigier in Toronto, Canada, in August 1995, Kluwer Academic, 1996, ISBN 978-0-7923-4337-0
- Articles (selection)
- J.-P. Vigier: Derivation of inertial forces from the Einstein-de Broglie-Bohm (E.d.B.B.) causal stochastic interpretation of quantum mechanics, Foundations of Physics, vol. 25, no. 10, pp. 1461-1494, 1995 (abstract), doi:10.1007/BF02057462
- J.-P. Vigier: Explicit mathematical construction of relativistic nonlinear de Broglie waves described by three-dimensional (wave and electromagnetic) solitons "piloted" (controlled) by corresponding solutions of associated linear Klein-Gordon and Schrödinger equations, Foundations of Physics, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 125-148, 1991 (abstract), doi:10.1007/BF01889529
- J.-P-Vigier: Particular solutions of a non-linear Schrödinger equation carrying particle-like singularities represent possible models of de Broglie's double solution theory, Physics Letters A, vol. 135, no. 2, 13 February 1989, pp. 99-105 (abstract) doi:10.1103/PhysRev.96.208
- A. Garuccio, V. Rapisarda, J.-P. Vigier: New experimental set-up for the detection of de Broglie waves, Physics Letters A, vol. 90, no. 1-2, 21 June 1982, Pages 17-19 (abstract), doi:10.1016/0375-9601(82)90038-X
- Augusto Garuccio, K. R. Popper, Jean-Pierre Vigier: Possible direct physical detection of de Broglie waves, Physics Letters A, vol. 86, no. 8, 7 December 1981, pp. 397-400, doi:10.1016/0375-9601(81)90346-7 (abstract)
- L. de Broglie, J.-P. Vigier: Photon Mass and New Experimental Results on Longitudinal Displacements of Laser Beams near Total Reflection, Phys. Rev. Lett. vol. 28, no. 15, pp. 1001–1004 (1972) (abstract), doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.28.1001
- L. De Broglie, D. Bohm, P. Hillion, F. Halbwachs, T. Takabayasi, J.-P. Vigier: Rotator Model of Elementary Particles Considered as Relativistic Extended Structures in Minkowski Space, Phys. Rev. vol. 129, no. 1, pp. 438–450 (1963) (abstract), doi:10.1103/PhysRev.129.438
- D. Bohm, J.-P. Vigier: Model of the Causal Interpretation of Quantum Theory in Terms of a Fluid with Irregular Fluctuations, Phys. Rev. vol. 96, no. 1, pp. 208–216 (1954) (abstract), doi:10.1103/PhysRev.96.208
- Peter Holland: Jean-Pierre Vigier at seventy-five: La lutte continue, Foundations of Physics, invited papers dedicated to Jean-Pierre Vigier, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 1-4, doi:10.1007/BF02054654
- Jean-Pierre Vigier, selected and edited by Stanley Jeffers, Bo Lehnert, Nils Abramson, Lev Chebotarev: Jean-Pierre Vigier and the Stochastic Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics, Apeiron, 2000, ISBN 978-0-9683689-5-4