|Birth name||Jean-Yves Thériault|
|Also known as||Blacky|
December 15, 1962 |
|Genres||Heavy metal, progressive metal, thrash metal, speed metal|
|Labels||Metal Blade, Noise, MCA, X-voto Records|
|Associated acts||Voivod, Xvoto, The Holy Body Tattoo Dance Society|
Jean-Yves Thériault (Blacky) is the former bassist for Canadian thrash/progressive metal band Voivod. He co-founded the band and appeared on the first six albums – War and Pain, Rrröööaaarrr, Killing Technology, Dimension Hatross, Nothingface, and Angel Rat. He departed the group in 1991 for personal reasons, and went on to co-found The Holy Body Tattoo Dance Society from 1992 to 1999. He composed, produced and engineered the scores for "White Riot", "L'Orage", "Poetry & Apocalypse", and "Our Brief Eternity".
In 1997 he released The Electronic Voice Phenomena CD with Mark Spybey and established the X-voto Recording label.
Thériault made a guest appearance in Brain Scan, a Voivod cover on the latest Martyr album Feeding the Abscess and performed it live at the release concert at the Montreal Medley in 2006. Thériault co-produced the Negativa self-titled three-song EP with Pierre Rémillard at Wild Studio in St-Zenon, Quebec.
Thériault is currently playing live shows with Voivod and working on a new record (2010). The band's line-up consists of Denis "Snake" Bélanger, Michel "Away" Langevin, Jean-Yves "Blacky" Thériault, and Dan "Chewy" Mongrain on guitar. Voivod performed their first show since Piggy's death at the Heavy MTL show in Montreal, Canada on June 22, 2008, and later that year at the Monsters of Rock Festival in Calgary, Canada on July 26, 2008. Voivod supported Judas Priest at the Bell Centre, Montreal, Canada on August 12, 2008. Voivod performed a full set at Thrash Domination in Kawasaki, Japan, September 20–21, 2008, along with the bands Testament and Forbidden. Thériault released a statement on August 26, 2008, regarding his involvement with the band.
Thériault continues to create electroacoustic music. His collaboration "Hiatus", created with Australian artist Matt Warren, was presented in conjunction with the photographic work of artists Lena Stuart and Sally Rees at the Richmond, Virginia, InLight Festival on September 5, 2008 .
On July 10, 2014, it was announced that he had once again parted ways with Voivod.
- Liberatore guitar 1989, 5 strings E-A-D-G-B, dbl J-EMG :: self-custom design
- Liberatore guitar 1987, 4 strings, dbl P-EMG :: self-custom design
- Liberatore guitar 1986, 4 strings Kahler tremolo, dbl P-Dimarzio :: self-custom design
- Fender Precision Bass 1972, 4 strings original (no mod)
2008 to present
- War & Pain 1984 (Metal Blade Records)
- Rrröööaaarrr 1986 (Noise Records)
- Killing Technology 1987 (Noise Records)
- Dimension Hatröss 1988 (Noise Records)
- Nothingface 1989 (Mechanic / MCA Records)
- Angel Rat 1991 (Mechanic / MCA Records)
- Target Earth 2013 (Century Media Records)
Jean-Yves Thériault albums:
- "VOIVOD Parts Ways With Bassist JEAN-YVES 'BLACKY' THERIAULT". Blabbermouth.net. 10 July 2014.