June 22, 1962|
Jean Arcelin is a French and Swiss painter  born in Paris in June 1962. He studied at Charpentier, a licensed art history school at the Sorbonne, where he developed an interest in seventeenth and eighteenth century painting. His paintings incorporate elements of false realism and figurative art, as well as some remote elements of Baroque.
Arcelin uses references, like Baroque, in order to create an effect, striving to make each painting a fully-fledged world where viewers can travel and find ideas. The spaces in the paintings are alive and are executed with rapid and spontaneous gesture. Painfully realized details create the sensation of rushing past the scene then coming to a complete stop. Landscapes edge with the urban sea, and combine with portraitist gesture. He takes corners of Paris, cafe chairs piled up in the angle of view of a monument, or the dressing room of a theatre, and portrays them empty of all human presence. His luminous depictions of interiors or landscapes are so charged that you can sense the personalities that inhabit the rooms or spaces, though they are absent.
The seascapes summon up the emotive works of J.M.W. Turner, while the interiors and an Italianate fountain scream John Singer Sargent. An Arcelin painting can be a false realistic: it is figurative without becoming complex.
He created paintings on order for several major companies including Ebel watches (1990), Dom Ruinart Champagne (1992), Natixis Bank (2000) or Tiffany & Co. (2012, 2013) and has exhibited regularly in France, Switzerland and the US since 1990. He lives in Paris.
He is referenced in the Benezit Dictionary of Artists (Oxford University Press, 2010) as well as in the Delarge dictionary of Arts (Gründ editions) (French: Dictionnaire des Arts Plastiques Modernes et Contemporains).
Selected solo exhibitions
- 2013: Callanwolde Fine Arts Center, Atlanta.
- 2006- 2013: Galerie L'Ermitage, Le Touquet-Paris-Plage, France.
- 2010- 2014: Besharat Gallery, Atlanta.
- 2012: Galerie du Parlement, Rennes, France.
- 2010, 2011: Ariel Sibony Gallery, Paris.
- 2010, 2011: Sibman Gallery, Paris.
- 2006-2010: Galerie 26 Place des Vosges, Paris.
Selected group exhibitions
- 2011, 2012, 2013: Art Palm Beach, West Palm Beach.
- 2010, 2011, 2012: The Affordable Art Fair (AAF), New York City.
- 2011: Scope Basel, Switzerland.
- 2011: ArtMRKT, San Francisco.
- 2011: Scope, New York City.
- 2011: Lille European Art Fair.
- 2011: MIA Art Fair, Miami.
- 2010: The Red Dot, Miami.
- 2010: Art London, Chelsea.
Notes and references
- Biography Jean Arcelin in the SIKART dictionary and database Retrieved February 4, 2014
- Biography Jean Arcelin in Delarge dictionary Retrieved February 4, 2011
- Newspaper Jean Arcelin in the Hôtel Drouot Gazette Retrieved February 4, 2011
- Newspaper Patrick Dennis, The Thinking Artist, Atlanta INTown, October 2013 issue, page 27 Retrieved February 20, 2014
- Monograph Mirage and conjuring. 96 pages, 57 colour reproductions. Galerie 26’s edition, 2008.
- Jean Arcelin, Official Website