Jean David Blanc
|Jean David Blanc|
|Known for||AlloCiné, Concerto Telematique|
Life and career
Blanc was born into a family of musicians; his father is the violinist Serge Blanc and his mother is a music teacher. His younger brother, Emmanuel Blanc, is a violist with the Orchestre National de France. Blanc started his career in eBusiness from a young age. At the age of 13, he designed video games for the Apple II and published articles in computer publications. At 15, he and Jean Marc Royer created "Futura,” a bulletin board system. Blanc founded his first IT services company, Crystal Technologies, and introduced the first electronic information service supported on Minitel for the Marlboro Racing Service the following year. At 17, he established his first company, Concerto Telematique, which provided interactive Minitel and phone services to brands such as Marlboro, Nissan, Elf and Coca-Cola. At the age of 22, he has the idea of AlloCiné, a telephone and web-based film ticketing service, and launched the company with Patick Holzman in 1993. After 10 years as CEO and developing AlloCiné, Blanc sold the company to Vivendi Universal in 2001.
After AlloCiné, Blanc has become an active business angel, consultant and strategic advisor for groups and venture capitals related to the internet and new technologies in Europe and the US. He has invested in start-ups such as Appsfire, Square Inc., TheCools, Meetic, and Véoprint. In addition, he mentors and sponsors the startup program at the SUPdeWEB school in Paris.
Other works and professional activities
Blanc has been a musician from a young age, and studied jazz piano at the American School of Modern Music in Paris, France. He has worked with actors and directors on different films and projects, and produced the 2005 film, Cavalcade. In 2012, Blanc authored his first book, Three Days in Nepal, which recounted Blanc's experience of a 2011 paramotoring accident that left him trapped in the mountains of Nepal.
- "Jean-David Blanc". French Inter. Retrieved 30 September 2013.
- "Jean-David Blanc". Evene. Retrieved 30 September 2013.
- "Undercover angel slips in". The West Australian. Retrieved 30 September 2013.
- Jérôme Bouteiller (16 October 2013). "Interview Jean-David Blanc: Un Nouveau Projet À La Croisée Du Net Et De La Télévision". IT espresso.fr. Retrieved 18 October 2013.
- "Orchestre National De France". Kimmel Center. Retrieved 30 September 2013.
- "AlloCiné, sept ans de connexion". Économie. Retrieved 30 September 2013.
- "Founders quit as AlloCine expands online ticketing". Screen Daily. Retrieved 30 September 2013.
- "Où investissent les parrains du Web français". Cadre et Dirigeant. Retrieved 30 September 2013.
- "Formation Bac + 4 / 5 – Start-Up Digitale". Sup De Web. Retrieved 30 September 2013.
- "Cavalcade". IMDb. Retrieved 30 September 2013.
- "C L'Info : Jean-David Blanc, Le Miraculé De L'Himalaya". France 5. Retrieved 30 September 2013.
- "Paramotor pilot returns favour". The Himalayan Times. Retrieved 30 September 2013.