Jean-Georges Vongerichten at his flagship restaurant Jean-Georges
|Head chef||Mark LaPico|
|Food type||New French|
|Dress code||Jackets are mandatory|
|Street address||1 Central Park West (between West 60th Street and West 61st Street), on the lobby level of the Trump International Hotel and Tower, on the Upper West Side of Manhattan|
|City||New York City|
Jean Georges is a 3-Michelin-stars restaurant at 1 Central Park West (between West 60th Street and West 61st Street), on the lobby level of the Trump International Hotel and Tower, on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, New York City, named after its owner Jean-Georges Vongerichten.
According to Michelin star rating, it is one of the top 5 best French restaurant in the Americas (US, Canada, and Latin America). It also remains one of the few restaurants in the city awarded four stars by The New York Times. The current executive chef is Mark LaPico.
A prix-fixe menu is available with a two-course lunch and a four-course dinner. Two seven-course tasting menus are also available; the Jean Georges menu of signature dishes, and a seasonal menu highlighting fresh produce.
Besides the aforementioned 4 stars from The New York Times, Jean Georges has received the James Beard award for Best Chef and Best New Restaurant, and Esquire Magazine voted Chef Vongerichten the Chef of the Year in 1997. Jean Georges restaurant also holds 3 Michelin stars, one of 7 NYC restaurants currently holding the accolade.
In 2008 it received an 18/20 "Excellent" rating. In 2009 it won the James Beard Foundation Award for outstanding restaurant.
In 2007, Jean Georges executive sous chef Lia Bardeen was featured as a contestant on season 3 of Top Chef, the cooking reality competition on the Bravo network.
In 2010, Jean Georges won the James Beard Award for "Outstanding Wine Service".
In popular culture
- In the Season 5 episode of Friends, "The One where Ross Can't Flirt", Chandler tells Ross that he was able to make dinner reservations at Jean Georges to celebrate his 10-months together with Monica.
- In the Season 2 episode of Gossip Girl, "The Magnificent Archibalds", Blair was telling Serena over the phone that Cyrus took her mother to Jean Georges for dinner.
- In David Cross' 2004 comedy CD It's Not Funny, he discusses his experiences at Jean Georges in the track "When It Comes to Jews, Behavior One Might Perceive as Obnoxious and Annoying I Present as 'Quirky' but It's Okay to Joke About It Because I, Myself, Am Jewish!".
- In the Season 2 episode of Sex and the City, "The Men, The Myth, The Viagra", Samantha was seeing a man who is a lot older than she is. When her friends questioned her taste of man, she said "He took me to dinner at Jean Georges. We got right in, no reservation needed."
- In the movie "Mr. Popper's Penguins (film)", Mr. Popper (Jim Carrey) said, "I got a reservation at Jean-Georges, which is almost impossible unless you're dating The Donald – which I am not willing to do."
- "Jean Georges | Manhattan | Restaurant Menus and Reviews". Zagat. Retrieved February 6, 2013.
- Fabricant, Florence. "''New York Times'' profile of Jean-Georges Vongerichten". Topics.nytimes.com. Retrieved September 21, 2010.
- Johnny Iuzzini official website[dead link]
- "About Jean-Georges". Allinfo.net. Retrieved September 21, 2010.
- "James Beard Awards Announced". The Washington Post. May 6, 2009. Retrieved May 6, 2010.
- "James Beard Foundation Awards 2010". Jbfawards.com. January 1, 2007. Retrieved September 21, 2010.
- "The 10 Best Restaurants in New York City". zagat.com. Retrieved February 6, 2013.