|Born||Barr, Bas-Rhin, France|
|Education||L'Auberge de L'lll|
Jean Joho is a French-American chef and restaurateur. He is chef/proprietor of Everest in Chicago (founded in 1986), Paris Club Bistro & Bar and Studio Paris in Chicago, The Eiffel Tower Restaurant in Las Vegas, and Brasserie JO in Boston.
Early life and education
Born in Alsace, France, Joho was already working in his aunt's restaurant kitchen, peeling vegetables in full chef uniform and hat, by age six. At age 11, he spent his summer making cheese in Marseilles. His formal training began at age 13 at L'Auberge de L'lll under master chef Paul Haeberlin. Joho honed his craft in other kitchens throughout Europe.
By age 23, Joho was the sous chef at a Michelin three-star restaurant where he commanded a 35-person staff. While studying at the Hotel Restaurant School in Strasbourg, Joho immersed himself in the hotel and restaurant business, as well as the arts of pastry, cheese and wine.
Joho’s rise to international success began on the 40th floor of the Chicago Stock Exchange with Everest, which is now one of the world’s premier dining rooms and a Relais & Chateaux property. He is a managing partner at Lettuce Entertain You Enterprises and has establishments across the country as well as partnership in several other concepts, including Chicago’s Nacional 27 and M Burger.
Jean Joho is the author of The Eiffel Tower Cookbook (Chronicle Books, 2008, ISBN 0811860477, 144 pp.). In this cookbook, he shares 50 of his signature dishes.
Joho resides in Chicago.
Awards and accolades
- Restaurateur of the Year, 2012, Gayot
- Michelin star, Everest, 2012
- James Beard Foundation (JBF) “Who’s Who”, “Best New Restaurant”, “Best American Chef: Midwest”; nominations for “Best Outstanding Restaurant”, “Outstanding Chef”, “Outstanding Service”
- Robert Mondavi, “Culinary Award of Excellence”
- Bon Appetit’s “Best Chef of the Year”
- Everest named Gourmet’s “Best Restaurant for Business Dining”
- Everest has been named by Travel + Leisure as one of America’s most romantic restaurants
- Chicago Magazine’s “Best Restaurant in Chicago”
- Mobil Dining Award, Everest
- Everest rated 4 stars from Chicago Tribune, Chicago Sun-Times and Chicago Magazine
- Everest’s wine list has been credited as the “country’s best selection of Alsace wine” by USA Today, The New York Times and Saveur
- Five-Diamond AAA rating, Everest
- Gayot’s Top 40 Restaurants in the US, Everest
- Digonnet, Anaïs (19 July 2012). "Jean Joho, le businessman des cuisines de Chicago". France-America News (in French). Retrieved 13 February 2015.
- Vettel, Phil (11 July 2013). "Revisiting Everest, Les Nomades". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 13 February 2015.
- Joho, Jean (2012). Jean Joho, 2012 GAYOT Best Restaurateur in the U.S. Interview with Sophie Gayot. YouTube.
- Alfano, Elysabeth (15 January 2014). "The Charm and Finesse of Everest's Chef Joho". Huffington Post.
- "Accolades". Everest Restaurant. Retrieved 13 February 2015.
|This biographical article about a foodie, restaurateur or gourmand is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|