Jean Gregoire Sagbo (Russian: Жан Грегуар Сагбо, born 1959) is a Benin-born Russian real estate agent and politician. His position is councilor of Novozavidovo in Konakovsky District, Tver Oblast. Sagbo is the first Russian of African descent, or Afro-Russian, to have been elected in the Russian Federation. He has been referred to as "Russia's Obama".
Sagbo immigrated to the USSR in 1982 to study economics in Moscow. He married a woman from Novozavidovo, a town of approximately 10,000 people located 100 km north of Moscow, and moved there in 1989. He has two children. During his first year in Novozavidovo, Tver Oblast his then-4 year old son Maxim was spat upon. Sagbo confronted the spitter and eventually other onlookers supported Sagbo. Racial attacks have taken place numerous times in Russia, 49 times in Moscow in one year according to an advocacy group. Sagbo speaks in French-African accented Russian.
As a councilor, Sagbo collected donations to turn dilapidated lots between buildings into parks. Sagbo was elected in 2010. He has expressed annoyance at being referred to as "Russia's Obama" because the two are both merely black. The position of councilor is unpaid.
Sagbo has been quoted as saying "Novozavidovo is dying...this is my home, my town. We can't live like this." Vyacheslav Arakelov, the mayor of Novozavidovo said "His skin is black but he is Russian inside...the way he cares about this place, only a Russian can care."
- Narizhnaya, Kristina. "A Russian milestone: 1st black elected to office - World news - Europe - msnbc.com". MSNBC. Retrieved 2010-07-27.
- Font size Print E-mail Share. "A Russian Milestone: 1st Black Elected To Office". CBS News. Retrieved 2010-07-27.[dead link]
- "Der erste schwarze Stadtrat Russlands - News Ausland: Europa". tagesanzeiger.ch. Retrieved 2010-08-07.
- Narizhnaya, Kristina (2010-07-25). "A Russian milestone: 1st black elected to office - World news - Europe - msnbc.com". MSNBC. Retrieved 2010-08-07.
- A Russian Milestone: 1st Black Elected To Office