Gómez with the Cleveland Indians
Philadelphia Phillies – No. 46
February 10, 1988 |
|July 18, 2010 for the Cleveland Indians|
(through May 26, 2015)
|Earned run average||4.33|
Jeanmar Alejandro Gómez (born February 10, 1988) is a Venezuelan professional baseball relief pitcher for the Philadelphia Phillies of Major League Baseball (MLB). He has also played for the Cleveland Indians and Pittsburgh Pirates.
On May 21, 2009 Gómez pitched a nine-inning perfect game for Akron against the host Trenton Thunder at Waterfront Park. It was the first perfect game in Aeros team history and just the second nine-inning perfect game in Eastern League history, dating back to 1923.
On July 18, 2010 Gómez was called up to the Cleveland Indians from the Columbus Clippers to make his Major League Baseball debut against the Detroit Tigers. He pitched 7 innings giving up 5 hits and 2 unearned runs. He had 4 strikeouts and 1 walk.
On April 14, 2012 Gómez was ejected after hitting the Kansas City Royals' third baseman Mike Moustakas. The benches had already been warned after Indian's outfielder Shin-Soo Choo was hit by a pitch.
Gómez is a sinkerballer (89–92 mph), although he has a number of secondary pitches he uses. Chief among them are a four-seam fastball (89–93), a slider (82–88), and a changeup (80–85). Against right-handed hitters, he also adds an occasional cutter early in the count and curveball with 2 strikes, but his main off-speed pitch is the slider. Against lefties, he replaces the slider with the changeup.
Like many sinkerballers, Gómez's key to pitching is getting ground balls instead of strikeouts. As of May 2012[update], his career strikeout rate is only 5.0 per 9 innings, but more than half of his sinkers hit in play are grounders.
- "Indians prospect Gomez pitches Double-A perfect game". CNN. May 21, 2009.
- Manoloff, Dennis (July 17, 2010). "Jeanmar Gomez gets to Start Sunday for the Indians". cleveland.com. Retrieved July 17, 2010.
- "Benches clear twice during Cleveland Indians-Kansas City Royals game". Associated Press. ESPN.com. April 14, 2011. Retrieved 30 May 2012.
- "Brooks Baseball · Home of the PitchFX Tool - Player Card: Jeanmar Gomez". Brooksbaseball.net. Retrieved 30 May 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jeanmar Gómez.|
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)