||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2012)|
January 4, 1979 |
San Jose, California, U.S.
|Alma mater||De Anza College|
Jeannie Mai (born January 4, 1979) is an American makeup artist, fashion expert, and TV personality. She is most known for her work as the host of the Style Network series How Do I Look?, and USA's Character Fantasy. As a fashion expert, she is frequently featured on numerous television programs such as NBC's Today Show on the "Fashion Tips Today" segment, Extra TV, and E!'s The Daily 10 as well as NBC's co-owned pageant Miss Universe.
Mai was born in San Jose, California to a Chinese/Vietnamese mother and Vietnamese father.  She has two younger brothers, Dennis and Daniel. As a child, Mai began experimenting with her mother's toys and would frequently "interview" one of the 16 family members living in her three bedroom house. She attended De Anza College, majoring in Communications.
1998–2004: Early career
At age 18, Mai launched her career as a makeup artist for MAC Cosmetics while still living in San Jose, California. As a trainer, she worked her way from face to face until she was eventually traveling the world to work for celebrities such as Christina Aguilera, Alicia Keys, and Rosario Dawson. She has served as a celebrity makeup stylist for MTV’s Total Request Live, KCAL Los Angeles, and Good Morning Sacramento.
In 2003, Mai began auditioning for local television networks with self-written scripts to demonstrate her unique hosting talents. She landed a gig co-hosting the Emmy-nominated Asian American Magazine-Style show Stir, on International Channel Networks. Soon after, the San Francisco local music channel, California Music Channel, invited her to host her own music countdown. After gaining attention for her spunky personality and knack for style, Mai became an entertainment reporter and producer of the WB’s The Daily Mixx.
2005–present: Television personality
In 2005, Mai landed her first primetime hosting role on Character Fantasy on the USA Network, where she inspired guests each week to live their fantasies. Following this, she appeared on MTV’s Granted alongside Frankie Muniz and hosted various segments related to fashion and entertainment news on networks such as E!, Lifetime, TLC, and NBC.
In 2008, Mai took part in TV history’s first ever attempt to revamp Miss America’s 52 hopefuls on TLC’s Miss America Reality Check. She also starred in Dude, Where’s Your Style a style special turning men from cute to couture, and toured the world as the official spokesperson of Never Accept Ordinary, a line of cosmetics that promotes individuality through color.
In 2009, Mai took over as the host of the Style Network’s popular and Emmy-nominated show How Do I Look?. She also served as a correspondent and weekend host on NBC’s Extra TV with Mario Lopez.
Mai has become recognized for her trademark dark, blue hair. She has also become known as the "Fashion Wearapist", and also for her constant "so" in every sentence that she uses.
In 2012, she appeared as a guest judge on Asia's Next Top Model, Cycle 1.
She also is co-host of a daily Talk Show titled The Real alongside of Tamera Mowry, Loni Love, Adrienne Bailon, and Tamar Braxton. The show began September 15th, 2014.
- Gorman, Bill (March 17, 2011). "The Style Network Sets Season 12 Of "How Do I Look?" To Premiere April 2". TV by the Numbers (Press release). Retrieved August 11, 2013.
- "Recording Artists Evan and Jaron to Host USA Network's Character Road Trip and On-Air Personality and Style Maven Jeannie Mai to Host USA Network's Character Fantasy". The Futon Critic. September 29, 2009. Retrieved August 11, 2013.
- Weisman, Jon (August 5, 2009). "'Today' to give lifestyle tips". Variety.
- Weprin, Alex (August 5, 2009). "Style Network Repurposing Segments From NBC's ‘Today'". Broadcasting & Cable.
- "It’s Official: ‘The Real’ Talk Show Begins Four-Week Test Run July 15". Deadline Hollywood. June 12, 2013. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- "Ellen Gets Real with 'The Real'".
- "AA Rising's Interview with Jeannie Mai"
- Jeannie Mai at the Internet Movie Database
- Hatmaker, Julia (June 28, 2011). "Linglestown native becomes reality TV star in 'Hollywood Hunter'". The Patriot-News. Retrieved August 11, 2013.
- http://bellapetite.com/fashion-wearapist-jeannie-mai-host-style.network-how-do-i-look.html[dead link]
- Bibel, Sara (May 22, 2013). "'Style Pop' to Premiere Live, Thursday, June 6 on Style". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 11, 2013.
- "Jeannie Mai: 'Empowering women. I want young women here to do whatever it is that they dream to do.'", The Other Asians, April 21, 2011. Interview with Jeannie Mai.