Christian Recording Artist/Songwriter Jeannie Ortega
|Birth name||Jeannette Ortega|
|Born||November 19, 1986|
|Origin||Brooklyn, New York City, U.S.|
|Genres||Hip hop, R&B, Christian Pop, Inspirational|
|Occupations||Singer, actress, dancer|
Jeannette "Jeannie" Ortega (born November 19, 1986) is a Christian singer, songwriter, dancer, and actress. She made her recording debut in 2006 with the album No Place Like BKLYN at the age of 19. The album featured the hit single "Crowded", which reached the Billboard Hot 100.
Jeannie Ortega was born in Bushwick, Brooklyn, New York and is of Puerto Rican descent. While attending Brooklyn's High School of the Arts, Ortega's song "Got What It Takes" was placed on the soundtrack for the 2003 comedy Love Don't Cost a Thing, and the song "Future Is Clear" appeared on the TV show soundtrack for That's So Raven!. She was quickly signed with Hollywood Records in 2002 and released her debut single "It's R Time" in October 2005. The song later appeared on the Freedom Writers soundtrack in 2007.
Ortega spent several years on the tween-pop Radio Disney circuit of radio interviews, live mall shows, and other promotional activities as she worked on her debut album in 2005. In 2006, Ortega followed "It's R Time" with the Urban-pop single "Crowded" the single quickly became a mainstream pop hit, eventually peaking in the top twenty-five of the Billboard chart. On September 12, 2006 Ortega's debut album No Place Like BKLYN was released, two weeks later the album entered the Billboard Top Heatseekers chart at number-one. On July 17, Ortega appeared on an episode of One Life to Live.
In July 2006, Ortega joined Rihanna as the opening act for her world-tour. I admire her so much, Rihanna said of Ortega. She's a sweetheart and she is so grateful to be on tour with me and that's what I love. She's gonna kill it.. Ortega followed that tour with the “Lo Maximo de la Musica National Tour” alongside Frankie J, Luis Fonsi, Nina Sky and Orishas.
Following the tour she landed her second major acting role alongside Tristan Wilds in the film Indelible which is scheduled for release in 2011.
Ortega is currently working on her second album. She appeared at the Music Unites benefit on March 17, 2010 speaking about her forthcoming album.
Ortega has since become a Christian artist and has independently released her sophomore album, Perfect Love, on January 30, 2012.
|U.S.||U.S. Top Heatseekers|
|2006||No Place Like BKLYN
|Hot 100||Pop 100||Top 40 Mainstream|
|2005||"It's R Time" (featuring Gemstar, N.O.R.E., Big Mato)||—||—||—||No Place Like BKLYN|
|2006||"Crowded" (featuring Papoose)||93||44||25|
|2008||"A Girl Like That" Lucas Prata featuring Jeannie Ortega||—||—||—|
- Mason, Stewart (November 19, 1986). "Jeannie Ortega > Biography". allmusic. Retrieved October 5, 2010.
- Theakston, Rob (December 9, 2003). "Love Don't Cost a Thing > Overview". allmusic. Retrieved October 5, 2010.
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- Moss, Corey (July 6, 2006). "Rihanna Lets Fans Be Her Guide, Selects Summer Jam 'We Ride' As Next Single". MTV. Retrieved October 5, 2010.
- "For The Record: Quick News On Kanye West, Rolling Stones, Ozzfest, Madonna, Rihanna, Taylor Hicks & More". MTV. August 3, 2006. Retrieved October 5, 2010.
- "OK! GALLERY: Melanie Fiona Brings Down the House for Music Unites!". OK! Magazine. March 18, 2010. Retrieved October 5, 2010.
- "Inside Gwyneth Paltrow and Cameron Diaz's Girls' Night". YouTube. Retrieved 2012-03-28.
- https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/perfect-love/id491858437. Missing or empty
- "Jeannie Ortega | Interview | First Concert | Album | Backstreet Boys | Picture | Pic | Quote - Page 2". Kidzworld.com. Retrieved October 5, 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jeannie Ortega.|
- Official Website
- AllMusic.com Artist Page
- Jeannie Ortega on Myspace
- Jeannie Ortega at the Internet Movie Database