|• Type||Borough Council|
|• Total||0.3 sq mi (0.7 km2)|
|• Land||0.3 sq mi (0.7 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|• Density||360/sq mi (140/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
Origin of the name
The town was originally named Japan-Jeddo after the Japanese port of Edo, Japan (anglicized to Jeddo, Japan) to which coal was exported by the Hazleton Coal Company. Edo was later renamed Tokyo in 1868. However, the official name of the Borough has been Jeddo since its incorporation by the Court of Quarter Sessions of the Peace of Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, on October 23, 1871. The Pennsylvania town shortened its unofficial name from Japan-Jeddo to Jeddo, after the 1941 surprise attack by Japan on Pearl Harbor in Hawaii which precipitated World War II.
Jeddo is located at .(40.994525, -75.899052)
As of the census of 2010, there were 98 people residing in the borough. According to the 2000 Census, the population density was 474.9 people per square mile (185.3/km²). There were 66 housing units at an average density of 217.7 per square mile (84.9/km²). The racial makeup of the borough was 98.61% White, and 1.39% from two or more races.
There were 43 households, out of which 36.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 62.8% were married couples living together, 18.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 37.2% were non-families. 36.1% of all households were made up of individuals, and 13.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.36 and the average family size was 3.15.
In the borough the population was spread out, with 27.1% under the age of 18, 10.4% from 18 to 24, 34.0% from 25 to 44, 19.4% from 455 to 64, and 9.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 30 years. For every 100 females there were 118.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 114.3 males.
The median income for a household in the borough was $20,436, and the median income for a family was $53,750. Males had a median income of $21,628 versus $13,750 for females. The per capita income for the borough was $14,776. There were none of the families and 7.6% of the population living below the poverty line, including no under eighteens and 100.0% of those over 64.
The current mayor is Joseph Davis.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Jeddo borough, Pennsylvania". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved April 12, 2012.
- NATIVES OF JAPAN-JEDDO WHO DIED DURING WAR EFFORTS AGAINST JAPAN AND OTHERS IN WW2[unreliable source?]
- Charter of the Borough of Jeddo (recorded October 30, 1871). Luzerne County, Pennsylvania Recorder of Deeds. Deed Book 154, Pages 35-37.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions Datasets: Subcounty Resident Population Estimates: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". Population Estimates. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 11 December 2013.