Garlin in 2010
|Birth name||Jeffrey Garlin|
June 5, 1962 |
Chicago, Illinois, U.S.
|Medium||Film, television, stand-up|
|Spouse||Marla Beth (Cahan) Garlin
(1994–present; 2 children)
Jeffrey "Jeff" Garlin (born June 5, 1962) is an American comedian, actor, producer, voice artist, director, writer, podcast host and author. He has acted in many television shows and some movies, but is best known for his role as Jeff Greene on the HBO show Curb Your Enthusiasm. He currently stars in the ABC sitcom The Goldbergs.
Garlin was born in Chicago, Illinois, on June 5, 1962, and grew up in Morton Grove, Illinois where his father had a plumbing supply business and his mother was active in community theater. Garlin is Jewish and attended Hebrew school. He graduated from Fort Lauderdale's Nova High School in 1980. He attended Broward Community College, followed by a stint at the University of Miami studying film, but eventually dropped out. He began performing stand-up comedy there.
In 1984, at the age of 22, Garlin moved back to Chicago, to perform with the comedy troupe The Second City, into which he had been accepted, as well as to pursue a stand-up comedy career there. Several years later, he was roommates with Conan O'Brien, who was then a comedy writer. (He remains close to O'Brien, and after O'Brien was removed as host of The Tonight Show in 2010 so that Jay Leno could return, Garlin stated that he would not be a guest on the show again.)
Film and television
Garlin has a variety of television and film appearances to his credit, as an actor and a stand-up, including Dr. Katz, Arrested Development, Everybody Loves Raymond, Late Show with David Letterman, Tom Goes to the Mayor, The Life and Times of Tim, The Daily Show, Late Night with Conan O'Brien, and Entourage. Garlin appeared with Eddie Murphy in Daddy Day Care and appeared in Steven Soderbergh's Full Frontal.
His feature directorial debut, I Want Someone to Eat Cheese With (which he also wrote), premiered to favorable reviews at the 2006 Tribeca Film Festival. It opened in September 2007. The film co-stars Sarah Silverman and Bonnie Hunt, with supporting appearances by Paul Mazursky, Dan Castellaneta, and Amy Sedaris.
In 2006, Garlin also directed This Filthy World, a one-man show performed by director John Waters. Garlin also was a voice actor in WALL-E, an animated film by Pixar that was released June 27, 2008, as the Captain of the Axiom spaceship. According to an interview, Garlin developed a harmful nodule in his throat due to the long process of recording his voice for this role.
He had a recurring role on the series Wizards of Waverly Place as Uncle Kelbo, appearing in three episodes over the first three seasons. He also was a key person in the making of The Life and Lies of Jeffy Gelbo Garlin.
In 2008, Garlin appeared in The Rocker as Stan. During 2008, he also played Ed Lawson in the film Strange Wilderness. He lent his voice to Disney/Pixar's film Toy Story 3, as Buttercup. Garlin also appeared as Sid, alongside Jennifer Aniston and Gerard Butler, in the 2010 comedy-action film The Bounty Hunter.
Garlin spent three seasons on NBC's Mad About You in the role of Marvin. In addition to his acting career, Garlin has also directed both Jon Stewart (Unleavened) and Denis Leary (Lock-n-Load) in their respective HBO specials, as well as an episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm. Garlin has also had his own HBO half-hour comedy special.
Curb Your Enthusiasm
On television, Garlin is a co-star and executive producer in the HBO series Curb Your Enthusiasm. The show stars Larry David, the co-creator of Seinfeld. Garlin co-stars in the show as Larry David's manager.
Regarding the show and his role, Garlin stated:
Originally, I approached Larry David with the idea for the show, and my intent was to direct it and not even be in it. He's the one that insisted that I play his manager and be an executive producer. It totally has changed my life, and I'm indebted to him forever, and every time I work on that show, not only am I lucky, I laugh my ass off and I have a great time. And it's probably the most fun I'll ever have as an actor, ever.
On February 23, 2010, Garlin released a book, My Footprint: Carrying the Weight of the World, a memoir which documents his journey to lessen both his physical and carbon footprint.
As of January 10, 2013, Garlin is a host on the comedy podcast network Earwolf. His show By The Way, In Conversation with Jeff Garlin is a series of unscripted casual talks, rather than formal interviews, during which Garlin mainly interrupts answers made by his friends in the entertainment industry. The debut episode featured a chat with Garlin's Curb Your Enthusiasm co-star Larry David. The twice-monthly installments are recorded in front of a live audience at Largo at the Coronet in Los Angeles.
|1983||Spring Break||Gut Gut||Uncredited|
|1993||RoboCop 3||Donut Jerk|
|1994||Little Big League||Opposing Little League Manager|
|1995||The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes||Agent Reese|
|1997||The Love Bug||Highway Patrolman|
|1999||Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me||Cyclops|
|Larry David: Curb Your Enthusiasm||Jeff Greene|
|2002||Run Ronnie Run||Birthday Woman's Friend|
|Naked Movie||Writer No. 1|
|The Third Wheel||Office Worker||Uncredited|
|2003||Daddy Day Care||Phil|
|Outing Riley||Partner in Architects' Firm||Uncredited|
|After the Sunset||Ron|
|2005||Fun with Dick and Jane||Boss|
|2006||The Jeff Garlin Program||Jeff|
|I Want Someone to Eat Cheese With||James Aaron||Also writer/director|
|The Jimmy Timmy Power Hour 3: The Jerkinators!||Villain|
|2007||Trainwreck: My Life as an Idiot||Lenny|
|2008||Strange Wilderness||Ed Lawson|
|2010||The Bounty Hunter||Sid|
|Toy Story 3||Buttercup||Voice only|
|2011||Hawaiian Vacation||Buttercup||Voice only|
|Cars 2||Otis||Voice Only|
|Sin Bin||Dean Theatard|
|2012||ParaNorman||Perry Babcock||Voice only|
|Safety Not Guaranteed||Mr. Britt|
|2013||Dealin' with Idiots||Max Morris||Also writer/director|
- Roseanne – Fred (1989)
- Open House – Brian (1990)
- Baywatch – Larry 'Loomin' Large (1994)
- Gross Ratings – Jack Bekins (1996)
- Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist – Jeff (1997)
- Mad About You – Marvin (1997–1999)
- Self Storage – Duncan Baumgartner (2000)
- The Michael Richards Show – Ed (2000)
- Late Friday – Himself/Host (2001)
- Three Sisters – Joel (2001)
- Dead Last – Ron Belson (2001)
- What About Joan? – Steinie (2001–2002)
- King of the Hill – Dan (2002)
- Everybody Loves Raymond – Produce Manager Jimmy (2001–2003)
- Greetings from Tucson – Executive (2003)
- Crank Yankers – Jeff (2003)
- Tom Goes to the Mayor – Pat Croce (2004)
- Pudding Wars – Tobey (2005)
- Duck Dodgers – Camoman (2005)
- Yes, Dear – Howie (2005)
- MADtv – Hank Whitley (2005)
- Arrested Development – Mort Meyers (2005–2006, 2013)
- Hooked – Mr. Waterhouse (2006/I)
- Campus Ladies – Mr. Hubney (2006)
- Shorty McShorts' Shorts – Duke (2007)
- Law & Order: Criminal Intent – Barry Freeburg (2007)
- The Life & Times of Tim (2008)
- BURN-E – Captain (uncredited) (2008)
- Curb Your Enthusiasm – Jeff Greene (2000–present)
- Wizards of Waverly Place – Uncle Kelbo (2008–2010)
- Entourage – Roger Jay (2010)
- Community – Himself (2011)
- The Goldbergs – Murray Goldberg, series regular (2013–present)
|19||Rosemarie DeWitt & Lunn Shelton||09/20/13||0:57:23|
|22||Jay Roach and Sussanna Hoffs||10/31/13||1:27:00|
|23||George Segal and Wendi McLendon-Covey||11/14/13||1:13:00|
- Blade Runner – Lieutenant Edison Guzza (1997)
- WALL-E – Captain (2008)
- Toy Story 3: The Video Game – Buttercup (2010)
- Witchel, Alex (June 25, 2006). "The Improviser". The New York Times. Retrieved March 4, 2013.
- Torok, Ryan (June 1, 2010). "Jeff Garlin…Seriously". Jewish Journal. Retrieved 2010-08-24.
- Westbrook, Caroline (October 19, 2004). "Jeff Garlin interview". www.somethingjewish.co.uk. Retrieved 2010-06-23. "...very proud and happy to be Italian, and I think everything that I do is naturally Jewish."
- Smiley, Tavis (September 12, 2005). "Jeff Garlin". The Tavis Smiley Show. Retrieved 2010-06-23. "I guess you could say – I mean, I'm Jewish, Larry's Jewish."
- Fine, Arlene (March 6, 2008). "Jeff Garlin definitely will not curb your enthusiasm". Cleveland Jewish News. Retrieved July 3, 2010.
- Downs, Gordon (February 1, 2011). "Interview With Comedian Jeff Garlin". SanDiego.com. Retrieved 2011-02-01.
- "Jeff Garland". curbweeknights.com. Retrieved June 16, 2013.
- "Full Bio". thespeakeragency.com. Retrieved June 16, 2013.
- The Weakly News Episode Episode #217
- Twitter Lee Unkrich
- Jeff Garlin at the Internet Movie Database
- Murray, Noel (August 29, 2007). "Jeff Garlin". The A.V. Club. Retrieved 2010-02-26.
- http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0307531/bio IMBD bio]
- Hibberd, James (2013-01-08). "Jeff Garlin discusses 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' and his new podcast | PopWatch | EW.com". Popwatch.ew.com. Retrieved 2013-07-19.
- "Cars 2 Interview - Jeff Garlin". Trailer Addict. 2011-06-24. Retrieved 2013-07-19.
- Official website
- Jeff Garlin at the Internet Movie Database
- Jeff Garlin on Twitter
- New York Times Magazine article (June 25, 2006)
- Jeff Garlin at the Comedy Hall of Fame