Life and career 
Earlier works include Sunnyvale (2000), a personal memoir about growing up in Silicon Valley and the breakdown of his family; The Cyberthief and the Samurai (1996), the story of computer hacker Kevin Mitnick; and Our Story: 77 Hours That Tested Our Friendship and Our Faith (2002), about the Pennsylvania Quecreek Mine Rescue of 9 trapped coal miners in 2002, which was a New York Times Best Seller. In 2006 he published his most popular book to date Big Coal: The Dirty Secret Behind America's Energy Future.
In spring 2010 he published How to Cool the Planet: Geoengineering and the Audacious Quest to Fix Earth’s Climate about geoengineering, global warming, and climate change mitigation. The book discusses ideas by Ken Caldeira, James Lovelock, David Keith, Raymond Pierrehumbert, Stephen Salter, and Lowell Wood among others. In 2011, How to Cool the Planet won the Grantham Prize (Award of Special Merit).
Awards and honors 
- 2011 Grantham Prize (Award of Special Merit).
- 2012 Sierra Club David R. Brower Award for excellence in environmental journalism.
- The Cyberthief and the Samurai: The True Story of Kevin Mitnick-And the Man Who Hunted Him Down (1996) ISBN 978-0-440-22205-7
- Sunnyvale: The Rise and Fall of a Silicon Valley Family (2000) ISBN 978-0-679-77638-3
- Our Story: 77 Hours That Tested Our Friendship and Our Faith (2002) ISBN 978-1-4013-0055-5
- Big Coal: The Dirty Secret Behind America's Energy Future (2006) ISBN 978-0-618-87224-4
- How to Cool the Planet: Geoengineering and the Audacious Quest to Fix Earth’s Climate (2010) ISBN 978-0-618-99061-0
- "Mitt Romney's Disastrous Energy Plan". Jeff Goodell, Rolling Stone, September 27. 2012.
- "The Big Fracking Bubble", Jeff Goodell, Rolling Stone, March 15, 2012.
- "Climate Change and the End of Australia", Jeff Goodell, Rolling Stone, October 3, 2011.
- "America's Nuclear Nightmare", Jeff Goodell, Rolling Stone, April 27, 2011.
- "The Miracle Seeker", Jeff Goodell, Rolling Stone, November 11, 2010.
- "Let's Talk About Geoengineering", Jeff Goodell, Slate, September 23, 2010.
- "The Poisoning", Jeff Goodell, Rolling Stone, August 2010.
- "As the World Burns", Jeff Goodell, Rolling Stone, January 2010.
- "Secretary of Saving the Planet" Jeff Goodell, Rolling Stone, June 2009.
- "The Ethanol Scam", Jeff Goodell, Rolling Stone, August 2007.
- "Can Dr. Evil Save the World?", Jeff Goodell, Rolling Stone, November 2006.
- "Capital Pollution Solution?", Jeff Goodell, The New York Times Magazine, July 30, 2006.
- "Who's a Hero Now?", Jeff Goodell, The New York Times Magazine, July 27, 2003.
- "Steve Jobs: the Rolling Stone Interview", Jeff Goodell, Rolling Stone, December 2003.
- "The Venture Capitalist In My Bedroom", Jeff Goodell, The New York Times Magazine, May 28, 2000.
- Best Business Writing 2012 (Columbia Journalism Review Books, 2012) ISBN 0231160739
- 'Best American Science Writing 2012 (Ecco, 2012) ISBN 0062117912
- "Can We 'Cool the Planet' through Geoengineering?", NPR interview on Fresh Air, April 15, 2010
- "Popular" is qualified to mean sheer number of professional reviews and Google hits compared to his other books, and by the ratio of ownership at LibraryThing showing  BigCoal is owned by more readers than nearly all his other books combined.
- 2011 Award of Special Merit Recipients, Grantham Prize website. Last accessed June 2011.
- Sierra Club Announces 2012 National Awards, Sierra Club website. Last accessed September 2012.